Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-15-2014, 07:55 AM   #1

Cool First PUP - 1207!

Well, with a baby on the way we finally decided to upgrade from our tent to a 2009 1207 pup. The good news is it's in great shape - the bad news is the owners only used it 4 times and were unable to give us a good tutorial. I think we have a lot of the basics down, but we are also overwhelmed at how much we don't know. I've tried to scour these threads before asking repetitive questions, but below are the questions I can't seem to find answers for. Appreciate any/all help and advice from anyone!

1. Water - I get that there are 2 options, hook up at the campsite or fill with a hose at home or at campground. Do I need to do something to "ignite" the water heater (propane tank is currently turned off)? Do I need to do anything special to fill up the water heater tank, or does it automatically fill when I start filling the big tank with my hose at home? What about if I am hooked up to a water connection at campsite - can I still get hot water? Seriously, I know NOTHING about the water aspect of this - at this point I think all I'm capable of is opening the cap, putting my garden hose in there and letting it fill, and then hoping when I turn on the sink there will be water (oh I do know there is a switch by the sink, I think I need to turn that on for the pump to get water from the tank to the sink).

2. The fridge. I know it is a 3 way, but is the fridge always cold because there is battery power, or will the fridge only chill down once I turn on propane or hook up to electric?

3. Propane - Probably not the wisest decision, but I did no propane tests when we purchased and thus I have no idea how anything propane powered works. I'm sure I will figure things out on the go, but any propane tips would be great (AKA how to use anything that is operated by the propane tank...furnace, water heater as mentioned above, i'm sure stove is simple enough to figure out). The propane is currently turned off - assuming anytime we aren't using the camper we should turn the propane off right? Also, it does hold 2 tanks, but currently is only hooked up to one, so whenever that runs out I will have to go out and unscrew it off and attach it to the other tank. Anyone use dual regulators - think it is worth it? If so, is it just a simple adapter to buy and hook up (I know this is probably getting ahead of myself).

4. Awning - They NEVER used it, and didn't know how to. I'm going to assume I can use some common sense and figure it out by just unrolling it and messing around, but any tips are appreciated.

Sorry for the novel, thanks in advance for any and all tips (related to my questions above or general advice - I'm sure there are a million other things I don't know).
bellancj1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 09:02 AM   #2

If they didn't give you all the paper work that came with the 1207, I would contact your local dealer who carries the Jayco line and see if you can get replacements for it. You'll also want to include all the appliances and system elements (i., AC, heater, water heater, sewage units, etc., etc.). The information will come in handy if your out in the boonies and something doesn't work right.....

Oh, and if you hook up a water hose to the supply outlet, make sure you have a pressure reducer between the hose and the inlet fitting.........the water system isn't sized for city water pressure.

Jayco Jay Series 1206
Dodge Ram 1500, Hemi
Lifespalette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 10:16 AM   #3

The best way to fill the water heater is to hook the hose up to the city water connection and open the hot water knob at the sink. This will vent out the air and fill the water heater. Otherwise, fill the water storage tank, turn on the water pump and open the knob at the sink to fill the heater. It takes a while to fill it this way, and the pump will run until it's full. You only have to do this once unless you pull the plug and drain the water heater. It works just like the water heater in your house. I fill mine in the spring, and drain it in the fall when I winterize.
Always turn off the propane tank when you get home. When prepping for a trip, turn on the propane at the tank and light the stove to bleed the air from the lines. It might take several seconds to get all the air out.

Becky, Bob and Taylie & Bode
2009 Silverado 2500HD Duramax/Allison
2014 Heartland Sundance XLT 245RL
His and Hers Polaris 570 Touring ATV's
2018 Polaris General 1000
Bobx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 10:17 AM   #4

Lots to cover here, but a few basics:

The fridge is a 3-way, so it has a 4 position selector: off, 12v 120v, gas. I use mine on gas almost always, so it can be cooling while traveling. The 120v position would be used if you're connected to shore power, and I hear that the 12v position will drain a standard battery fairly quickly. Also note that the fridge is based on vacuum, so you won't hear any operating noises.

The hot water heater will fill either a) from the onboard water supply using the pump (switch by the sink) or b) water pressure from the hose bib connection. It will need to be lit either way to heat the water. There may be an igniting mechanism, but I use matches to light mine.

For lighting both the fridge and water heater, there is a heat sensitive element that controls whether or not gas flows, as well as a prime position that sends gas. The idea is to warm up the element so that once you let go of the priming position, gas continues to flow.

As mentioned, owner's manuals would be a good investment, you can find them online, sometimes at the manufacturer's website or contact a Jayco dealer.

Lastly, the awning.. good luck, mine is a pain and likes to fly away with any breeze. I have tied it down with varying degrees of success, and usually bring an "ezup" type of portable canopy.
Old 07-15-2014, 10:23 AM   #5

Congratulations on the "New-2-U" Pop-up! You might want to go to Jayco's website (www.jayco.com), scroll down to the bottom of the page, and under "Owner's Support" click on "Owner's Manuals." From there, you can download a manual for your 2009 Model 1207 PUP. That should give you a jump-start on the learning experience.

Good luck and Happy Camping!
Old 07-15-2014, 03:07 PM   #6

Thanks!

Thanks for all the replies and guidance! This definitely gets me going in the right direction. I have a call into the local dealer to see if I can get my hands on some of the manuals - I was able to find a generic one on Jayco's site but it doesn't get into a lot of the operating specifics on some of these things. Thanks again!
Old 07-15-2014, 04:17 PM   #7

congrats, you will love it. We had a 1006 for a while and loved it, love the open air.
chrisb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 08:05 PM   #8

wish you were closer i would run over and give you a run down ... i bet a dealer would give you a runt thru if you took it over to them most are nice
bailee21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 10:36 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by bailee21 View Post
wish you were closer i would run over and give you a run down ... i bet a dealer would give you a runt thru if you took it over to them most are nice
Hope he's better than our walk through tech was....took him all of 10 minutes, basically "here's the water heater panel, here's the heater panel, here's the water supply connections, etc., etc.." Didn't go over any of the valve positions for by pass, draining, filling etc.. Even got the slide out sequence wrong, which has now resulted in our first tear to the dinette slide out window privacy flap and didn't even know that the canopy bundle was actually a canopy. He told us it was a stand alone screen enclosure that we could put over a picnic table..........the more I go through the manuals of the trailer and all the appliances, the more I learn what he left out...........

Jayco Jay Series 1206
Dodge Ram 1500, Hemi
Lifespalette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 10:40 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lifespalette View Post
Hope he's better than our walk through tech was....took him all of 10 minutes, basically "here's the water heater panel, here's the heater panel, here's the water supply connections, etc., etc.." Didn't go over any of the valve positions for by pass, draining, filling etc.. Even got the slide out sequence wrong, which has now resulted in our first tear to the dinette slide out window privacy flap and didn't even know that the canopy bundle was actually a canopy. He told us it was a stand alone screen enclosure that we could put over a picnic table..........the more I go through the manuals of the trailer and all the appliances, the more I learn what he left out...........
was your Dealer traileside RV in Mo LOL ... sorry for the trouble most are very good at delivery's the one i picked up the other day from Apache RV i had to keep telling them i know this i got it but he still was going on even though i told him he did not need to witch i liked
bailee21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 02:07 PM   #11

Congrats as well. I picked up a 2008 1207 earlier this year. Though I had every manual, it was still a process understanding everything. Couldn't imagine ever tent camping again, and we absolutely love the floor plan of the 1207.
Old 07-17-2014, 10:37 AM   #12

Does anyone know if the 1207 has an electric water heater on it or is the only water heating element propane? Some of my coworkers insist there must be an electric water heater option but I can't find it (or find any type of switch to toggle between electric/propane)?
Old 07-17-2014, 10:46 AM   #13

My 2008 1207 is propane only - no electric.
Old 07-17-2014, 11:08 AM   #14

My last toy hauler had a propane only water heater. Not all of them are two way heaters.

Becky, Bob and Taylie & Bode
2009 Silverado 2500HD Duramax/Allison
2014 Heartland Sundance XLT 245RL
His and Hers Polaris 570 Touring ATV's
2018 Polaris General 1000
Bobx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 07:23 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellancj1 View Post
Does anyone know if the 1207 has an electric water heater on it or is the only water heating element propane? Some of my coworkers insist there must be an electric water heater option but I can't find it (or find any type of switch to toggle between electric/propane)?
Gas Only. Electric is not even an option.

2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.7 Hemi
mainer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
1207, beginner, propane, water heater