Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-14-2013, 01:38 PM   #1

First trip...

We are finally going to get to use our Jayco 1006 pop-up for the first time. I thought I saw the info I'm looking for on here somewhere, but I can't find it. So if I may ask a question or two. First, I can run my fridge on the battery when I'm underway. correct? And as long as I'm driving the battery will charge? The place we're going to has no hookups so when I get there I'll run it off propane. I was not able to get it started earlier but I'll get back to it in a bit. How long will the 5 gallons of propane last just running the fridge? We'll be there 3 days. Should I bring a second tank? I may come up with more questions later too if I may. Thanks....Bill
rimshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 01:49 PM   #2

Absolutely you can run off of battery when traveling. According to Jayco, the fridge uses 640-1200 BTU's / hour (lets use 1200 in the calculation). Each gallon of propane produces 91,500 BTU.

91,500/1200 = 76 1/4 hours for each gallon of propane.
Each standard propane tank is 4.77 gallons. If you are just running the fridge, you should be able to run it off of one full tank of propane for approx. 363 hours.
Old 07-14-2013, 06:24 PM   #3

Well I've decided to just go ahead and take 2 tanks and cook with it too. Thanks. Now I've found in my research that I can indeed use the auxiliary battery to power the fridge when I'm underway but it will drain the main battery as well as the auxiliary battery unless I hook up some kind of isolation switch. An isolator/combiner it's called. Anybody have one of these. If this is the case can I use propane when underway?
Old 07-14-2013, 07:36 PM   #4

As long as you are running your engine, your alternator should charge both your car and the trailer battery. I am unsure of the isolation switch for charging.

I have run for 5 hours using the car battery. No issues in draining... And no need for propane on during travelling (I prefer not to have my propane on when driving)
Old 07-15-2013, 08:16 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by rimshot View Post
Well I've decided to just go ahead and take 2 tanks and cook with it too. Thanks. Now I've found in my research that I can indeed use the auxiliary battery to power the fridge when I'm underway but it will drain the main battery as well as the auxiliary battery unless I hook up some kind of isolation switch. An isolator/combiner it's called. Anybody have one of these. If this is the case can I use propane when underway?
Yes you can run on propane when underway.I have to do it that way as I do not have a 12V supply from my vehicle to the pop up.I have never yet had the flame go out.Something worth checking also,my Ford Escape came with a 4 pin connecter I have used an adapter to change it to a 7 pin(to fit the pop up) so although it has the 7 pin there is no 12V feed.If you have the 12V feed then the battery will not drain so no isolator is necessary but you will have to unplug when the engine is not running.
extenter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 01:39 PM   #6

Well now I think there may be a problem. I ran the fridge off of the house all day and it seemed to work fine. I put 4 gals of fuel in the tank and fired up the fridge on gas about 6:30pm. I couldn't see a flame but the box was still hot at 9:00pm so I guess it was working. Checked the fridge at 7:00am and it ain't cold, and the tank is empty.
Old 07-15-2013, 09:22 PM   #7

Wow.... Possible leak somewhere in the line? It shouldn't empty so quick
Old 07-19-2013, 09:32 PM   #8

Gotta be a leak, fridge should run a week or more on propane.
Rapidly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 05:23 PM   #9

Well I was mistaken. There is propane in the tank. I just shook it in the bracket and it felt empty. The flame must have blown out. We leave tomorrow, I'll keep ya posted how it works....Bill
Old 07-21-2013, 05:51 AM   #10

I purchased a propane gauge and placed it on my tank to avoid that. $9.99 Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	26.1 KB
ID:	9088
Old 07-21-2013, 07:04 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

I was really surprised how long my 20lb LP tank lasted on my recent trip.
Cooking, supplementing electric heater and I could go a good 4-5 days between refills.

Doug

Cape Coral, Florida
2021 Toyota Tundra SR5, 5.7 V8
2022 Jayco 240RBS
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 07:57 AM   #12

I guess I am just a bit fussy.... but I actually measure the weight of my propane tank(s) at the beginning of the trek, and again at the end to give me a good indication of my "typical" usage (boondocking, running the fridge during the trip up/back, cooking, water heater, stove, furnace). Amazing how long a 40 lb tank lasts!. The propane tank "gauge" (shown above in previous post) is ok in general, but keep in mind it is a "pressure" gauge, and as such does not tell you level in the tanks. Pressure in a propane tank is virtually constant during use, until the very end (when the gauge will start dropping). Better have your spare tank ready at this point... No grace period. Only real way to gauge the contents is either by magnetic gauge that senses the liquid/vapor level line, or by weight, which is a bit more involved, since you have to remove the tank from the bracket to accurately weigh it (I use a 50# digital fishing scale...glad to be able to at least be able to use it to weigh "something" on my fishing trips!!!).

(Oh, and where did you get that gauge for 9.99? Lowest price I found was 16.99, and that was for a very "cheap looking" version.)
Old 07-21-2013, 07:33 PM   #13

Purchased it here at Costco (in Canada)... I agree with you, the gauge for me is to tell me whether the tank is empty and spare is to be used... Not much more than that. Better for me than to unscrew the bolts to lift and weigh. The image isn't the actual picture of my gauge, just an image off the Internet to Resemble only.
Old 07-24-2013, 09:24 PM   #14

Well we took our first trip in the pop up. First of all, the fridge worked great. It must have blown out the night I tested it out. Okay, now the dumb question. Where we went there are no hookups at all. I put the switch for the fridge to propane and fired it up. I then hooked up the fully charged battery but no lights would work. It looks like some of my manual is missing as well. Is there a switch to throw for battery power? Here are a few pics, if they come out. We went to Butano State Park near Pescadero, Ca. This place is smack dap in the middle of an old growth redwood grove, 5 miles in from the beach. Very nice spot. Oh yeah, I also had a bit of a problem. This place is tight, and when backing in it took several times going in and out. While doing this the rubber cover on my hub, bearing buddies, blew off and shot about 3 tablespoons of grease out. Thought I lost my bearings. I jacked it up, shook it and it felt good. Cleaned the cap off and put it back on. When I left I stopped in Pescadero at a shop and he shot a bit of grease in it and I drove 125 miles home. Have any of you had this happen? Bill

Old 07-25-2013, 08:59 AM   #15

on our older pop-up we had the same light problem and it turned out there is a "switch" that cuts off the power to the lights when the roof is lowered. the wire had become disconnected. reconnected the wire and no problem. the switch was in the rear on the left side about 1" up from the edge

2011 GMC Serria Ext Cab LB
2012 Jayflight 22FB
edowsfamily is offline   Reply With Quote