Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-04-2014, 11:40 PM   #1

Angry Fridge does not work on 12 v cycle

My first trip away in our jayco star flight was great travelled 4 thousand km.the only problem we had was with the 12 v cycle on our 3 way fridge.we where travelling in 30 c plus heat.when towing or stationery the 12 v system on fridge did not work,the lights in van worked ok on 12 v.can anyone give advice on how to check wiring etc .the fridge has no light internally so it's difficult to tell if it's got power or not.
Out back jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 04:28 AM   #2
Lost in the Woods

get a test light and check for power.

Check to see there is power at plug

check to see if there is power at fridge. your manual will show you the wiring diagram.

I assume you are selecting 12V.

Why wouldn't you just run it on gas?
nbhybrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 04:52 PM   #3

I know I prefer to use power supplied by the campsite as part of my payment to them and leave the propane I purchased for just the furnace and stove.
Old 10-05-2014, 05:07 PM   #4
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by emjayuu View Post
I know I prefer to use power supplied by the campsite as part of my payment to them and leave the propane I purchased for just the furnace and stove.
we are talking about when traveling
Old 10-05-2014, 08:50 PM   #5

Check the number on the frige to make sure it is a 3way.
CharlieC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 08:57 PM   #6
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieC View Post
Check the number on the frige to make sure it is a 3way.
standard equipment I believe
Old 10-06-2014, 01:15 AM   #7

I am only wanting to use the 12 v cycle while traveling to destination as gas can only be used when stationary.I will check the power to caravan from car and then try to find where it connects to fridge.thanks for advice.
Old 10-06-2014, 04:29 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbhybrid View Post
we are talking about when traveling

Don't want to get into a debate as it is in other threads, but I would never travel with my propane on. Plus in some areas it is illegal.

Even said, when travelling, I would prefer to use electrical than use up my propane.
Old 10-06-2014, 04:35 AM   #9
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Out back jack View Post
I am only wanting to use the 12 v cycle while traveling to destination as gas can only be used when stationary.I will check the power to caravan from car and then try to find where it connects to fridge.thanks for advice.
ok. didn't know of the law down under. Here running gas is allowed other than in tunnels and is quite common.

Test light is your best friend here.

just be careful of that 240Volts I would unhook from shore power when you are testing anything

What model fridge? Thetford?

best of luck
Old 10-06-2014, 07:41 AM   #10

running fridge on 12v runs battery down real quick, and takes a very long time to cool. I mean most RV fridge units takes 12-18 hours to cool completely (on 110v, can take 10-15 hours on LP). Could take as much as 72 hours on 12v. In which the coach battery would likely go dead in 48 hours, so unless you are plugged in to something, it might not cool at all on 12v. Here in the USA, they seldom install 12v refrigerators anymore.
TIM
qwed94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 07:44 PM   #11

Thanks for all the help with 12 v fridge circuit.I have checked wiring and it appears the fridge is not wired in to 12 v circuit,from your comments i can why .I have just purchased a waeco fridge freezer which I can run in the car whilst traveling,this wil solve the problem.
Do you run compressor fridges in your caravans in America ?
Old 10-06-2014, 07:57 PM   #12
Lost in the Woods

primarily absorption fridges

what model is the fridge in yours?
Old 10-08-2014, 03:35 AM   #13

Hi
My fridge is a three way electrolux,I have read many new caravans are using compressor fridges here in Australia as they are more efficient in the heat we have here.How do you keep food cold when you are traveling?we are not allowed to run gas whilst on the move.on my last trip we where on the road for ten hours.
Old 10-08-2014, 03:50 AM   #14
Lost in the Woods

There are no restrictions on running gas when travelling in North America other than on ferries and tunnels.

Can you not get the 12V wired to power your fridge?
Old 10-08-2014, 03:20 PM   #15
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Out back jack View Post
Hi
My fridge is a three way electrolux,I have read many new caravans are using compressor fridges here in Australia as they are more efficient in the heat we have here.How do you keep food cold when you are traveling?we are not allowed to run gas whilst on the move.on my last trip we where on the road for ten hours.
I don't want to speak for everybody but I don't drive more than 2-3 hours and I use gas. If I didn't I'd put my food in a cooler with ice.

2007 Jayco Feather 19H
2008 Ford Explorer SportTrac
Snake Plissken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 04:46 PM   #16

It is possible to run a 3-way fridge on DC while in transit. The 12V must come from the "charge line" from the tow vehicle. You must have both the TV wired to supply 12V to the charge line and the trailer must be wired to route the 12V to the DC systems. As well, the charge line wiring must be of sufficient size to handle 15-20A.

There are so many different combinations of trailer to tow vehicle wire harness connections, but the most common (USA anyway) is the 7-pin Bargman connector (google it for pinout connections). You can check for 12V at the proper pin to see if your TV is wired to provide the charge.

Also be advised that in some cases, it is possible to drain your TV battery if left connected without the engine running. When stopping for lunch or sightseeing, turn the fridge off or disconnect the trailer harness.

Those small gas absorption fridges really don't work great on DC so for best results:
- pre-cool on AC or propane the day before leaving
- stock only with already cold or frozen items.
- A frozen jug of water helps as well
teejaywhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 07:01 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by teejaywhy View Post
It is possible to run a 3-way fridge on DC while in transit. The 12V must come from the "charge line" from the tow vehicle. You must have both the TV wired to supply 12V to the charge line and the trailer must be wired to route the 12V to the DC systems. As well, the charge line wiring must be of sufficient size to handle 15-20A.

There are so many different combinations of trailer to tow vehicle wire harness connections, but the most common (USA anyway) is the 7-pin Bargman connector (google it for pinout connections). You can check for 12V at the proper pin to see if your TV is wired to provide the charge.

Also be advised that in some cases, it is possible to drain your TV battery if left connected without the engine running. When stopping for lunch or sightseeing, turn the fridge off or disconnect the trailer harness.

Those small gas absorption fridges really don't work great on DC so for best results:
- pre-cool on AC or propane the day before leaving
- stock only with already cold or frozen items.
- A frozen jug of water helps as well

That is exactly what I do. Plug in 24 hours at home AC prior to travel. On the road power the fridge by DC from the truck. If we stop in transit for a few hours I will switch to off to avoid draining the TV battery.
Old 10-08-2014, 07:44 PM   #18

OK lots (almost ALL new 5ers and MHs here in the USA) are coming standard with compressor style refrigerators, and electric cook stove tops. Many units no longer carry propane for anything.

Most of these units have onboard generators and 110v inverters. These inverters will run the fridge while in travel. Just be sure you are plugged in to your tow vehicle (if a trailer) or engine is running (if a motor home) since the inverter can discharge a typical battery relatively quick. -- Of course you can feel free to run the generator while in travel also, and not rely on the inverter.
TIM
qwed94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 02:31 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by qwed94 View Post
OK lots (almost ALL new 5ers and MHs here in the USA) are coming standard with compressor style refrigerators, and electric cook stove tops. Many units no longer carry propane for anything.

Most of these units have onboard generators and 110v inverters. These inverters will run the fridge while in travel. Just be sure you are plugged in to your tow vehicle (if a trailer) or engine is running (if a motor home) since the inverter can discharge a typical battery relatively quick. -- Of course you can feel free to run the generator while in travel also, and not rely on the inverter.
Great information, but not particularly useful for the OP who has a pop-up tent trailer and asking how to use the small 1.7 cuft 3-way fridge.
teejaywhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 02:34 PM   #20
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by teejaywhy View Post
Great information, but not particularly useful for the OP who has a pop-up tent trailer and asking how to use the small 1.7 cuft 3-way fridge.
in post 13 the OP started another discussion about compressor fridges instead of absorption. As it is his post he is allowed