Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-10-2019, 01:04 PM   #1

Frustrated new guy

I have a 2006 jayco pop up. My battery is fully charged, the fuse on the positive side is good. The orange porch light works. The one outlet on the inside of the trailer works. I have a converter and checked all the fuses and reset the breaker a couple of times this morning and I still don't have lights on the inside. The same with when I hook up to shore power. I have zero lights inside the trailer. I do have a GFCI outlet next to the converter, if that is bad, would that keep me from having lights? I don't know alot and trying to learn. I appreciate your time.
steve raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 01:49 PM   #2

Have you checked the grounding cable that goes between the roof and the trailer frame? You may have a bad connection, from the roof going up and down so many times over the years.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 05:27 PM   #3
Site Team

The two pop-ups we've had over the years, have had a bunk end switch that kills the interior lights when slid in. It's a safety thing, so you can't close up the camper with the interior lights on. It probably isn't really easy to see, but on both of ours (SOB) it was on the rear bunk end slide. Might just be something to check. Being 13 years old, it may be broken, or worn out.
And welcome to the Forum!

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 10:26 AM   #4

That was it. After a closer look, the two wires that were supposed to be attached to the switch were jerry rigged with electrical tape. They weren't even attached to the switch anymore. Thanks for the reply and help. Much appreciated.
steve raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 07:19 PM   #5

Steve, hope you enjoy the new Jayco. I had mine for almost 14 years and had so much fun!

Although the logical solution is to bypass the switch, I would highly recommend replacing it with the correct switch. If the popup gets closed either with the light(s) left on or accidentally bumped on, at the least it would prevent damage either to the light fixture or canvass or even worse, a fire.

If you haven't already changed them, I would highly recommend some quality replacement 12v LED light bulbs for your fixtures. Not only are they much cooler but use way less electricity if you camp without hookups. Make sure to buy warm white if you like the natural color of incandescent bulbs.
jimovernon is offline   Reply With Quote