Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-21-2017, 08:29 PM   #1

Gap above half door when collapsed

I just noticed about a 1/2" gap above the half door on my 2010 model 1007 that I didn't notice before. The top is down and clamped in all four corners and the door is on and seats properly at the bottom.

I bought it in Dec. '16 and just came home with it today after using it for the first time this weekend for a two-day jaunt. I placed a 1/4" rubber self-stick seal on it for now (that's all I had available at home at the time) till I get to Lowe's to replace it with a thicker size. Am I missing something here?

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Jerry B.
"Stateboy" (Formerly "36fire412")
SW Lower Michigan
2016 X254
2012 Toyota Tundra Crewmax TRD 4x4
stateboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 03:37 PM   #2
Site Team

Not sure, but some pop ups allow this so the door can be opened with the roof down, and latched. Just a thought.

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 04:03 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFlightRisk View Post
Not sure, but some pop ups allow this so the door can be opened with the roof down, and latched. Just a thought.
Thanks for the reply. I went to Lowe's and bought some self stick rubber foam that was a half inch thick and it seems to fill the void. My biggest concern was bugs getting in easier than just a little cracks that might be available as well as mice if they could scale the exterior sidewall (not that they couldn't chew through it).

Jerry B.
SW Lower Michigan
2016 X254
Old 05-24-2017, 08:06 AM   #4

The foam stripping you bought should work.

On the 2012 Jayco 1206 pop-up I just traded in, there was a kind of folding vinyl weather strip/gasket that came installed on the top of the half door. It sounds like someone else had the same problem I did and just removed it.

The one that came with mine wasn't very durable and didn't last much past the first season. I'm sure I could have found a replacement at the dealer, but I just stuck it back together with duct tape and ran with it.
Johnny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 10:09 AM   #5

Is the gap straight or is it wider at one end than the other?
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 10:13 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBrown View Post
Is the gap straight or is it wider at one end than the other?
I don't have a picture handy but it runs parallel with the bottom edge of the roof when collapsed. It leaves a half inch gap that I did not notice when I purchased the unit. The top of the door is a flat piece of thin plastic that looks like something could have been stuck to it at one time. I did just that over the weekend and now it's got a self stick half inch thick piece of foam that fills in most of the gap. The gap is even across the width of the door.

Jerry B.
SW Lower Michigan
2016 X254
Old 05-24-2017, 11:22 AM   #7

The proper seal is available on eBay. Similar thread from a few months ago here http://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f8...tml#post406188 with the link to the part.

ETA: of course that part is now sold out on eBay, but there is a link for similar items at the bottom of that listing that has what appears to be the same strip.
bankr63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 11:29 AM   #8

My 2008 Sstarcraft 14 R/T OFF-ROAD POPUP has this gap as well but I have not noticed any rain water or insects getting into the trailer from it... It is very handy to be able to open my half door with the top down and secured in both corners...

I probably will give it another look-see being you have brought it up... Might be a bigger concern that I realized...

Roy Ken
RETIRED DOD DOAF DON CONTRACTOR Electronics Tech 42YRS

"We're burning daylight" - John Wayne
2008 STARCRAFT 14RT OFF-ROAD POPUP with PD9260C and three 85AH 12VDC batteries
2010 F150 FX4 5.4 GAS with 3.73 gears - Super Cab - Towing Package - 2KW Honda EU2000i Gen
K9PHT (since 1957) 146.52Mhz
"We always have a PLAN B"
RoyBraddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 12:07 PM   #9

The 10' roll of 1/2" tall/thick self-stick rubber foam from Lowe's for about $3.50 was a good fix. Here's what I bought.

https://m.lowes.com/pd/Frost-King-1-...rstrip/3062411

There's plenty left over to get me through a new piece every year for 5 years.

Jerry B.
SW Lower Michigan
2016 X254
Old 05-24-2017, 12:15 PM   #10

Oops! This is the correct link.
https://m.lowes.com/pd/Frost-King-0-...rstrip/3062421

Jerry B.
SW Lower Michigan
2016 X254
Old 05-24-2017, 01:09 PM   #11

I just came back in from looking at my 2008 Starcraft 14 R/T trailer. It definitely has the gap you are referring too but under the roof lip is a section of rubber seal which comes in contact with the top metal ridge of the half door. It actually touches it for a good seal on my setup... I can force it out of the way with my finger but leaving it alone when I open the half door with the roof latched down it just pushes right on through it holding a good seal.

Having said all of this I have had a spongy floor under my door which I beefed up on the bottom side of the floor which cross angle pieces. I really didn't see any water damage per say but the floor was definitely spongy when stepping on it going through my access door. Later I put in a couple of right angle sections secured to both floor cross braces and it stopped the floor from being spongy just inside the door. My floor uses the OSB rather thick flooring which is painted black on the bottom...

Think I am ok with all of this... No extra seal needed here between the roof and the top of the half door... This same type of seal is also used on the bottom of the top half of the door when it is folded down from the ceiling when being setup. Good tight seal between the upper and lower doors here...

Thanks for the tip however...

Roy Ken
RETIRED DOD DOAF DON CONTRACTOR Electronics Tech 42YRS

"We're burning daylight" - John Wayne
2008 STARCRAFT 14RT OFF-ROAD POPUP with PD9260C and three 85AH 12VDC batteries
2010 F150 FX4 5.4 GAS with 3.73 gears - Super Cab - Towing Package - 2KW Honda EU2000i Gen
K9PHT (since 1957) 146.52Mhz
"We always have a PLAN B"
RoyBraddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 01:39 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyBraddy View Post
I just came back in from looking at my 2008 Starcraft 14 R/T trailer. It definitely has the gap you are referring too but under the roof lip is a section of rubber seal which comes in contact with the top metal ridge of the half door. It actually touches it for a good seal on my setup... I can force it out of the way with my finger but leaving it alone when I open the half door with the roof latched down it just pushes right on through it holding a good seal.

Having said all of this I have had a spongy floor under my door which I beefed up on the bottom side of the floor which cross angle pieces. I really didn't see any water damage per say but the floor was definitely spongy when stepping on it going through my access door. Later I put in a couple of right angle sections secured to both floor cross braces and it stopped the floor from being spongy just inside the door. My floor uses the OSB rather thick flooring which is painted black on the bottom...

Think I am ok with all of this... No extra seal needed here between the roof and the top of the half door... This same type of seal is also used on the bottom of the top half of the door when it is folded down from the ceiling when being setup. Good tight seal between the upper and lower doors here...

Thanks for the tip however...

Roy Ken
My roof's rubber seal does not reach down far enough to touch the top of the half door. The 1/2" foam I cited above filled that gap. It's not the heavy rubber type but it does cover the gap and is cheaper than a $15 rubber seal.

I would agree that the gap would not necessarily allow water in since the roof tends to jut out past the door's outer plane. It's just the bug entrance it allows in storage (I know they'll get in anyway somewhere else). It's like have a 3" by 4" hole in the side of the camper (once you do the math on how large the opening actually is, roughly 1/2" by 24" long = 12 square inch opening).

Jerry B.
SW Lower Michigan
2016 X254
Old 05-26-2017, 09:33 PM   #13

My designer 12F5 has a full length door. What a pain in the but to put into place. Have to bend backwards to get it off the ceiling and into place. I miss my half door on my 1999 eagle 10.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk
jbird68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 10:35 PM   #14

ha, I just bought the same stuff last night to fill the gap in mine.
Jetsers is offline   Reply With Quote