Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-01-2013, 11:26 AM   #1

Generator questiin

Hey again. Quick question. Has anyone totally scrapped using a battery and went solely to a generator? Our camping will be mostly boondocking for several days at a time. Our main need will be for lights at night, my cpap (no DC option here) and occasionally running a/c.

Been wondering if I could just ditch the battery and try to find a small generator to mount on the pup and plug in to that with my electrical connection and adapter to allow me to plug in to 120v. Anyone done this? Any recommendation on size/watts to look for?
carguy37757 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 11:42 AM   #2

Couple concerns come to mind...

1) Does your PUP have elec brakes? Emergency brake away brakes require 12V to engage the electic brakes. If you ever have a brake away event, no more 12v coming from TV and it will require a battery to supply the power.
2) Very few campgrounds, if any, allow 24/7 generator usage. By boondocking do you mean BLM or forrest land or no Hook Up CG?
3) Running an AC requires a larger generator. Typically 2500-3000 watts depending on AC size could be slightly more or less.
2012 Jay Flight 26BH (Sold)
clubhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 11:57 AM   #3

Re: Generator questiin

Quote:
Originally Posted by clubhouse View Post
Couple concerns come to mind...

1) Does your PUP have elec brakes? Emergency brake away brakes require 12V to engage the electic brakes. If you ever have a brake away event, no more 12v coming from TV and it will require a battery to supply the power.
2) Very few campgrounds, if any, allow 24/7 generator usage. By boondocking do you mean BLM or forrest land or no Hook Up CG?
3) Running an AC requires a larger generator. Typically 2500-3000 watts depending on AC size could be slightly more or less.
1) No brakes on my pup.
2) I figure the generator would be specifically for when we're off the grid. Meaning not at an actual campground. If we go to a campground, it would be one with hookups.
3) this is my biggest concern. We dont anticipate running ac much, but with the wife and kids, you never know. I figured I'd be looking at least 3000w, but I want to find something relatively quiet as well.
Old 05-01-2013, 12:20 PM   #4

3000W is big and heavy, can you support the increased tongue weight?

For quiet you are primarily looking at Yamaha and/or Honda.

Honda EU3000i -- dry 135lbs
Yamaha EF3000iS -- dry 150lbs
Might get away with Yamaha EF2400iS -- only 75lbs dry

Folks on the forum have been saying good things about Champion's Inverter Genset -- I've not heard one so I can't personally say how they sound compared to Honda/Yamaha.

Personally, I am not sure why you would want to get rid of the battery(ies) if you already have them. In fact, if you took airconditioning out of the equation I think you are best suited to increase the battery bank, run a pure sine inverter for the CPAP at night and occasional other AC power needs. Then get a smaller generator 1K or 2K to recharge the batteries for a couple hours in the morning and/or evening.

Again, if the AC is small enough possibly a 2000w generator will run it and then the weight issue goes away...still I would want the battery.
2012 Jay Flight 26BH (Sold)
clubhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 04:53 PM   #5

I have found that not having the battery does not always work well. For instance, without the battery I get just a little AC ripple through the converter which is enough to cause my water heater to not always function correctly. With the battery, it will act as a large capacitor and absorb any of those ripples.

2009 JayFlight Manual Library

Want to add a signature to your posts? --> Click Here
Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 05:55 PM   #6

I would suggest that you second think the idea of no battery. You can get a generator and still have a battery. I would not want to have to run a generator 24/7 when camping. You can use a power inverter to run the Cpap. You many want to double check Cpap for the possibility of it running on 12 volt power. Many cpaps convert AC power into DC power.

Tracy from Central PA

2010 Jayco 17Z Ex-Port
2004 Ford Explorer V8 with the tow package
2010 Camping Stats
Nights Camping 132 - Nights Camping in My Z 102
2011 Camping Stats
Nights Camping 107
2012 Camping Stats
Nights camping 133 - Nights camping in my Z 128
2013 Camping Stats
Nights Camping 66 Nights
tlhdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 06:09 PM   #7

Re: Generator questiin

Already checked my cpap and its strictly ac power. My fridge was replaced with a strictly 120v fridge, so no option for running it on propane. The only other appliance is the rooftop ac. Not sure how many btu it is. No water heater or other appliances to be used. Basically just looking to power cpap and lights primarily, and ac if it gets to be too much on the wife. I really figured for my needs, a generator would be the way to go so I wouldn't have to worry with maintaining a battery when out at the lake for extended periods (3-4 days minimum).

That and at my house, the only place I have to store batteries for charging is inside the house which scares me.
Old 05-03-2013, 08:26 PM   #8

Generators should not be used within earshot of anyone else. Remember, at night, with no wind and no competing noise, earshot can be several hundred yards. In the open, or over water, a half mile easy.
Rapidly is offline   Reply With Quote