Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-19-2016, 09:19 AM   #1

Generator question

We just bought a Jayco 10SD popup with A/C. We want to take it to the beach where they don't have hookups. What do I need to look for in a generator for it? Wattage and things like that.... We thank you very much!
Savaad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2016, 12:30 PM   #2

If you need to run your AC, then it needs to be near 3000 watts. If you only need to maintain your batteries for lights and water pump, a generator as small as a 1000 watts will get the job done. Inverter type generators are really the only thing to consider if you are camping near other campers. Substantially less noise and more fuel efficient as well as clean power for sensitive electronics that you may need to use. There is a 2400 watt generator that would probably work but without much cushion. Thats why I suggested 3000 watt for AC.
Ela1948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2016, 01:11 PM   #3

Thank you, very much. That helps a lot
Old 06-19-2016, 01:27 PM   #4

I have two of the 2000 watt inverter style Yamaha gens. They are awesome, they work great and are easy to haul around. Hooked together and they make 4000 watts of power. To run one AC at a time is all they will do without popping their own internal breaker. My sister has a 3500 watt generator and it was not enough to run her AC. I would not do anything less then a 4000.
Nucem140 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2016, 01:42 PM   #5

Do you think that a generator that puts out 4000 Peak/3200 Running watts be enough power?
Old 06-19-2016, 01:54 PM   #6

I'm not really sure, all I can tell you is what my personal experience has been. The brief case inverter type generators are expensive but very efficient and great if you only need one for maintaining batteries or making coffee etc. then when more power is needed just grab the second gen and your all set. A 3500 or 4000 watt single units are heavy and a pain to load in and out of your truck each time. I like to locate my generators a little further away from my camp site if possible and the light weight units make that a painless task. Just buy a good thick cable and lock for securing them to a tree or your camper.
Nucem140 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2016, 04:19 PM   #7

I've been through this, albeit, with a fifth wheel. You'll get all kind of responses, and they'll be all over the place, but each person and camper is different.

From my research, I thought I had a very good chance of running the 13,500 btu air conditioner in my old trailer with a Yamaha 2400 inverter. It worked.

We just got a New Jayco this spring with a 15,000 btu air conditioner. The generator wouldn't start it. So yesterday, I bought and installed a Supco, SPP6, hard start capacitor and now I can run it. It took me pulling the shroud off (4 screws), that control cover off (2 screws), plugging in 2 wires, and a couple zip ties. It ran it with 90 degree heat and nothing else switched off (even fridge on electric). Although, like everything else forum related, a capacitor doesn't seem to work for everyone.

I would think that you "might" get a 2000 watt to run it (I've seen reports of 13,500 run by them) a 2400 watt would more likely be enough and anything over 3000 watts would almost positively work.

As said before, inverter generators are worth the money in their quietness. I love how quiet my Yamaha is and I can run it in a campgrounds with out feeling bad disturbing the peace. But I didn't want to have two light generators to deal with, or one really heavy one to deal with. I feel that mine is right in the middle.
Old 06-19-2016, 04:24 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nucem140 View Post
I have two of the 2000 watt inverter style Yamaha gens. They are awesome, they work great and are easy to haul around. Hooked together and they make 4000 watts of power. To run one AC at a time is all they will do without popping their own internal breaker. My sister has a 3500 watt generator and it was not enough to run her AC. I would not do anything less then a 4000.

X2 running the AC , all electric including the refridgerator (not including the Microwave the same time the AC is running) on my 28BHBE

2012 Ford Expedition EL
2016 28BHBE, Elite and Thermal Packages.
Equal-i-zer 4-point Sway Control, Southwire 34930 Surge Guard 30A, Tire Minder TPMS A1A
(2) Yamaha EF2000iS Generators, Micro-Air EasyStart™ 364 (3-ton) Soft Start, Garmin RV 890, GoodYear Endurance ST225/75-15 Load Range E
RAurand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2016, 04:34 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savaad View Post
We just bought a Jayco 10SD popup with A/C. We want to take it to the beach where they don't have hookups. What do I need to look for in a generator for it? Wattage and things like that.... We thank you very much!
What size AC does your PUP have? The answers thus far are assuming 13.5 or 15k ACs that are typical on TT and 5r, but my experience is PUPs frequently have smaller ACs. You get much smaller than 13.5 and you have a good chance that a quality 2000 watt inverter Genset will run it.

What ever generator size you decide on, get an inverter type. Certainly more expensive, but much much quieter, with cleaner power and better fuel efficiency.

Yamaha and Honda have been the standard for years, but Champion has a very nice option these days too.
2012 Jay Flight 26BH (Sold)
clubhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2016, 08:48 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savaad View Post
Do you think that a generator that puts out 4000 Peak/3200 Running watts be enough power?
I have a 3000 watt Honda and a 3100 Champion. Both are inverter type. Both will power my 5th wheel with a 13.500 AC just fine. You can watch TV, run your AC and run your converter powering your batteries without issue. With a minimum of power management you can do most anything on 3000 watts comfortably!!
Ela1948 is offline   Reply With Quote