Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-21-2017, 07:13 PM   #1

Hacks for Jay Series 1007 (or similar)

Posted on another forum that the wife and I are seriously contemplating an upgrade to HTT/TT but are realizing that it may be impractical for 2-3 more years. So we'd like to spend some time here in the latter part of 2017 making our 2007 1007 PUP more liveable and easier to pull together short, weekend trips.

We've installed 2 sets of tension rods shelves, one over the sink and one over cabinet near the door. We put a Coleman electric cooler on that cabinet below the shelves. We also mounted a shower rod in front of rear tent end. From it, we hang those accordion, collapsible storage cubbies for clothes, shoes, etc. These are all easy to set up and create tons of storage space.

Here are things we hate about our 1007 and wonder if anyone has made improvements.

1. No storage bin for gear like on the 12' and 14' PUPs. Would love to build something on the tongue, roof, or rear bumper but am not sure that's advisable.

2. Climbing over the U-shaped dinette and table by our (front) bed.

3. No place for bikes except of roof of TV. Thinking of buying a truck to solve that problem, but the truck opens the door to replace the 1007. Not ready for either budget-wise.

We bought the 1007 back in 2009 because our minivan could tow it. We kick ourselves for not buying the larger 1406 on the dealer's lot for about $2,000 more, but we couldn't tow it then. Today, TV is a trail blazer which would handle.

Anyone successful with modifications or hacks to eliminate these nuisances, or am I talking myself into a slight upgrade to a 1206, 1208, or 1406 if I could find one?
raising4daughters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 07:34 PM   #2

For the storage you would not want to put it in the rear bumper. If you did it would probably cause a huge sway issue. Not sure if there is enough room on the tongue or what the roof weight capacity is to help there.

What about a bike rack on the roof of the pop up for the bikes?

Sorry I can't help with any of the other mods/tips/tricks for a pop up. Haven't ever owned one.

'16 Jay Flight 32 BHDS ELITE 32 BHDS MODS Reese DC HP

WDH SET UP. HOW A WDH WORKS. CAT SCALE HOW TO.
need-a-vacation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 09:00 PM   #3

I have a 2010 1007 we bought this past December (and we also are eyeballing an upgrade already - but in 2-3 years like you). I chimed in to your other post about wanting to upgrade to see what people would say. We also tow with a minivan. I installed a four slot bike rack on the roof of the PUP. I already have an A/C unit up there. The manual says the roof is rated for about 350 pounds.

We hang one of those collapsible shelving units out on the awning rod the runs perpendicular closest to the back of the PUP. My wife stocks it with paper plates, paper towel roll, plastic cups, plastic forks, knives and spoons, matches/lighter for the grill, kids sparklers, and a gallon zip lock with a clothes line and clothes pins/clips. We have another above the fridge counter inside stocked with dry goods like breakfast bars, bread, chips, a few can goods, peanut butter.

I am not familiar with the tension bars you speak of above the sink and door cabinets in your unit. We take the larger free standing table outside and place it jist inside the rear side of the awning between the hanging collapsible shelf and stove mount for my wife to use while she cooks. I place the smaller table in the back of the minivan and we eat outside. If it rains, I set up the smaller table to huddle around. We have 8 and 7 year old boys and a 2-1/2 girl but don't think we're young. I'm retired and my wife stays at home. We adopted after doing foster care (taking care of the orphans) and have adult children like you (five of them actually).

I also read to be wary of placing too much on the rear bumper here on the forum. Most agreed to keep it less than 100 pounds. I have read that some 1007 owners don't have the track system that was on the roof of our unit (the T-rail that runs along the driver and passenger side of the camper roof). I mounted my bike rack to it without drilling.

I attached pics of the bike rack system and added the other rails for additional bikes after the pics. It holds four right now. I also attached a pic of our most recent camp outing that shows the placement of the table and collapsible shelf outside next to our new Coleman Roadtrip grille.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Jerry B.
"Stateboy" (Formerly "36fire412")
SW Lower Michigan
2016 X254
2012 Toyota Tundra Crewmax TRD 4x4
stateboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 02:29 PM   #4

Thanks. I'll take some pics of our set up during Labor Day and post them or send them to you. I think some of our hack might benefit you.
Old 08-22-2017, 08:50 PM   #5

How many bikes? I have a strap on rear rack that will hold two bikes. Straps over the rear hatch and is pretty solid.

I have seen some people who have extended their tongue to allow for the addition of a storage bin. It will alter the weight distribution though and the frame needs to be strong enough to handle it.

Do you have a cargo pod? I bought a Yakima one on Craigslist for dirt cheap and it has been a life saver for us. We now use it on regular road trips as well.
Sneezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 07:48 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sneezer View Post
How many bikes? I have a strap on rear rack that will hold two bikes. Straps over the rear hatch and is pretty solid. .
We typically carry 2 bikes plus a tag-a-along for our daughter (that attaches to my bike's seat post to make a tandem). Next year, though, we expect to bring 4 bikes as she's getting older and wants her own, plus one for a friend.

Quote:
I have seen some people who have extended their tongue to allow for the addition of a storage bin. It will alter the weight distribution though and the frame needs to be strong enough to handle it.
Wife and I are going to buy one of those Rubbermaid storage bins and bring it along in the tow vehicle. We will keep it pre-loaded with all our gear to shorten the pre-trip packing. That's our biggest complaint.

Quote:
Do you have a cargo pod? I bought a Yakima one on Craigslist for dirt cheap and it has been a life saver for us. We now use it on regular road trips as well.
We do. It's one of those Sears X-Cargo. It's REALLY hard to fit on the TV roof rack with our 2 bikes. Never happen if we move to 4 bikes. Need to find a way another route for the bikes.

Reality is that we just bring too much $hit. Our favorite camping locale has spots for biking, beaches, hiking, etc. We like to do a lot of different things and end up with a lot of gear.
Old 08-28-2017, 11:12 PM   #7

Ok I loved my pop up camper BUT my hack it traded it in and finance a travel trailer if you are seriously going to use it. If you aren't count to a thousand every time you think about how you need a new camper as a properly maintained pop up will last forever.

Now...things you miss with the pop up

set up after you back in, I plug in and start camping
break down, I unplug and drive away
leaky canvas, sweaty canvas too
Hand cranking the tongue, yes get the power lift
The porta potty or cold dark walks to the toilet
Using the public showers
BUGS, there is always a way for them to get in a pop up
Pre pop to pack, man I don't miss that at all. I can go get the trailer, pull up at the house and just go in the trailer.
Post pop to unpack...
Top won't go up...top won't come down (ooooh baby that time you are ready to go home and the top gets stuck up!!!!)
Wire rope breaks/winch don't work
Need a nap? You can just pull into a rest area or even a Walmart and go into the trailer
Need some junk? You can just go in the trailer and get it
You'll never have to install the door!
Pulling on them slide out beds
Storing all your junk in the bed
Cold and wet, trailer always beats pop-up when it's rainy and cold
Climbing over the dinette
Sitting on the bed while people sit at the dinette
JC_MO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 11:11 PM   #8

36fire412,

What model SportRack is that you use?

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2015 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
ciret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 04:49 AM   #9

Although it does not say in the attached picture, it is the SR1020. That picture was a screen grab with today's Amazon price for reference.

Jerry B.
"Stateboy" (Formerly "36fire412")
SW Lower Michigan
2016 X254
2012 Toyota Tundra Crewmax TRD 4x4
stateboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 01:07 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by 36fire412 View Post
Although it does not say in the attached picture, it is the SR1020. That picture was a screen grab with today's Amazon price for reference.

Cool.
Thank you!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2015 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
ciret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 01:37 PM   #11

I have the exact same rack on my 1206 and it carries 4 bikes no problem. I also have an AC unit up there so I don't think I could get a roof top carrier up there too. I installed the rack when the TV was a 2005 Trailblazer. Now that I have a truck I can fit the bikes in the bed. I still have a shortage of space for things that can't get wet.

I love how easy it is to tow and store my PUP. I also like sleeping under canvas. But everything else on the list JC_MO listed are things I dislike. I'm hoping to upgrade to a hybrid in the next few years, hence the TV upgrade when the Trailblazer died.

2022 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 LTZ Crew Cab 3.0L Duramax 4WD
2019 Jayco Jay Flight SLX 298BH
2013 Jayco Jay 1206 (Sold)
Scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2020, 01:19 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by stateboy View Post
I have a 2010 1007 we bought this past December (and we also are eyeballing an upgrade already - but in 2-3 years like you). I chimed in to your other post about wanting to upgrade to see what people would say. We also tow with a minivan. I installed a four slot bike rack on the roof of the PUP. I already have an A/C unit up there. The manual says the roof is rated for about 350 pounds.

We hang one of those collapsible shelving units out on the awning rod the runs perpendicular closest to the back of the PUP. My wife stocks it with paper plates, paper towel roll, plastic cups, plastic forks, knives and spoons, matches/lighter for the grill, kids sparklers, and a gallon zip lock with a clothes line and clothes pins/clips. We have another above the fridge counter inside stocked with dry goods like breakfast bars, bread, chips, a few can goods, peanut butter.

I am not familiar with the tension bars you speak of above the sink and door cabinets in your unit. We take the larger free standing table outside and place it jist inside the rear side of the awning between the hanging collapsible shelf and stove mount for my wife to use while she cooks. I place the smaller table in the back of the minivan and we eat outside. If it rains, I set up the smaller table to huddle around. We have 8 and 7 year old boys and a 2-1/2 girl but don't think we're young. I'm retired and my wife stays at home. We adopted after doing foster care (taking care of the orphans) and have adult children like you (five of them actually).

I also read to be wary of placing too much on the rear bumper here on the forum. Most agreed to keep it less than 100 pounds. I have read that some 1007 owners don't have the track system that was on the roof of our unit (the T-rail that runs along the driver and passenger side of the camper roof). I mounted my bike rack to it without drilling.

I attached pics of the bike rack system and added the other rails for additional bikes after the pics. It holds four right now. I also attached a pic of our most recent camp outing that shows the placement of the table and collapsible shelf outside next to our new Coleman Roadtrip grille.

suuuuuper long ago to reply, but what AC unit did you install on this trailer? We have the 2009 Jay Series 1007
AirCanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2021, 05:53 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirCanuck View Post
suuuuuper long ago to reply, but what AC unit did you install on this trailer? We have the 2009 Jay Series 1007
I don't see you got an answer on this question. We just installed a Dometic Brisk II on our 1007. Driveway tests fine. We did notice the added off-center roof weight made a difference in getting the top down evenly to latch all 4 corners.
AllamakeeCounty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2021, 05:54 AM   #14

My question: Does anyone have a source for clips to attach to the self storing door tracks on the ceiling? I would like to add a couple more clips to suspend kitchen storage when the door is in place.
AllamakeeCounty is offline   Reply With Quote