Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-18-2014, 08:29 PM   #1

Heating system question

New to me '94 Jayco 1207. First camper I've ever had. It's moored in the driveway till some safety issues are resolved. (All three tires are dry rotted, and only able to hold 25lbs of pressure, I'm sure the Bearings need a repack, and the surge brakes need some love)

When I plugged in the 120V 15amp plug, after I switched the converter on, the heater fan started running.

I did not have a propane bottle hooked up at this time. Seemed like no matter what position I put the thermostat, it kept running.

Is this normal, or is the thermostat toast?

It looks like this:
Mpking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 10:08 AM   #2

I believe this is normal. On mine, the fan starts up right away. You will know for sure when you hook up your tank and set the temp limit somewhere higher than the current temperature and once it hits it,it cuts off
Old 05-19-2014, 11:01 AM   #3

On our older popup there was a slide switch at the bottom of the thermostat. When set to OFF this kept the furnace off no matter what the temperature setting was. Still, unless it was very cold at the thermostat, I don't know why the furnace would always run. Maybe it just had to finish its cycle? Did you try leaving it at the coldest setting for a few minutes and see if it would eventually turn off?
waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 05:37 PM   #4

I've gotten it all folded up again, so I can't check.

I did feel around it for a switch, and didn't feel anything at the time.

The temp was over 75 in the camper, more like 80, and with the thermostat set all the way down, it still ran.

I only had it plugged in for a total of two minutes, so maybe it hadn't cycled enough.

I'll dink with it again in a few weeks when I have some free time.
Mpking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 10:45 AM   #5

[QUOTE=Mpking;199584]New to me '94 Jayco 1207.
When I plugged in the 120V 15amp plug, after I switched the converter on, the heater fan started running.

I did not have a propane bottle hooked up at this time. Seemed like no matter what position I put the thermostat, it kept running.

Your furnace was probably "looking" for propane. Most will try to light 3 or 4 times before finally shutting down. When you do hook up to propane tanks, try bleeding the line of air by lighting the cooktop (if you have one). Once your furnace has a clean propane source, it should operate just fine. You may find (like many of us have) that your stock thermostat is not terribly accurate. It may have to get fairly cold in the TT before your furnace kicks in, and fairly warm before it kicks off. That's just the nature of the beast. I generally use an electric space heater to keep things at a more even temperature, and set the furnace t-stat to about 65 to "assist" the space heater - especially when things cool down overnight.
Old 05-20-2014, 06:34 PM   #6

[QUOTE=Brownie;200095]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpking View Post
New to me '94 Jayco 1207.

Your furnace was probably "looking" for propane. Most will try to light 3 or 4 times before finally shutting down. When you do hook up to propane tanks, try bleeding the line of air by lighting the cooktop (if you have one). Once your furnace has a clean propane source, it should operate just fine. You may find (like many of us have) that your stock thermostat is not terribly accurate. It may have to get fairly cold in the TT before your furnace kicks in, and fairly warm before it kicks off. That's just the nature of the beast. I generally use an electric space heater to keep things at a more even temperature, and set the furnace t-stat to about 65 to "assist" the space heater - especially when things cool down overnight.

I agree with brownie
Old 05-27-2014, 03:35 PM   #7

Your thermostat is calling for heat if the fan is running. If it was 75 in camper and you had thermostat turn all the way down, the fan should not run. Replace your thermostat.
mainer is offline   Reply With Quote