Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-09-2013, 08:28 AM   #1

Cool Hello and questions about upgrading from a Pop-up to a TT (x23F) and size of campsite

Hello! I've been looking at past threads and there are some awfully smart people on this website! I've never joined a forum and am a bit of an analog gal in a digital world...BUT, I'm hoping that you can help us make a decision on our TT purchase. We had a Jayco 1206 pop-up for 8 years and really loved it but wanted something with a bathroom and an easier set-up since we're getting older and so are the kids. Our concern is that we won't be able to get the x23F into the same sites we've been in for the pop-up (the x23f is an expandable with 3 beds and a dinette slide out). We like a wooded site with water and electric hook-up...a somewhat rustic site. We've also looked at the Jayco x18d but I would love a 2 bowl sink and to not have to crawl over dinette cushions to get out of bed. Anyway, any thoughts on what type of sites we'd be able to get in when we camp? Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
DSC00965.jpg  
JammerB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 09:26 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Most CG's I've been to you would be fine.
If that floor plan works for you, I'd go for it.
If you can tow it to the CG, I'd say they have a plenty of site that will be acceptable.

JMHO,
Doug

Cape Coral, Florida
2021 Toyota Tundra SR5, 5.7 V8
2022 Jayco 240RBS
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 11:53 AM   #3

I agree, most campgrounds can handle a 23 foot trailer equally as easy as a popup.

2011 Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins
2012 Starcraft Autumn Ridge 297 BHS
Flyrotor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 03:51 PM   #4

Welcome to the JOF JammerB! Are you staying close to home? You probably already have an idea of what size rv's can fit into what you've experienced so far. But if you plan to hit the road and venture to new places, from what I've experienced at state parks, national parks, private/public parks... even the tightest spots work with our current 29' with one slide. I think (and so I'm told) that where you get into concerns of not fitting into a site is when you have slides on both sides and are over 30' + length. Your size 23' should be work in sites not requiring a 'pull through'. Always call the cg ahead of time and let them know what you have and what site could work best for you. campgroundreviews.com as well as posting in the 'Campground and Attractions' forum here may be of help.
Denise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 04:23 PM   #5
Site Team

Welcome to the user friendly Jayco Owners forum! Our members just love to answer questions or help out other members when possible and have fun sharing their experiences . They also love pictures of your RV, tow vehicles, and campsites!! So do not hesitate to post pics of your Jayco in the "Pics of your Jayco forum" and pics of your tow vehicle in the "Tow Vehicle forum".

Feel free to participate in our many fun polls (first thread in New Members forum has them all listed, second thread has more new member welcoming info). Post often, have fun with the forum, and enjoy your Jayco!
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 10:41 PM   #6

I've never had a problem getting into a site in WI state parks with my 30' Eagle. I have had some pretty tight squeezes though, the kind where the neighbors are speechless when I'm done backing in
Old 04-10-2013, 06:43 AM   #7

yes, 23 feet should not be much of an issue. with us around here it is more when you get in the upper 20's that it can get very challenging to fit in a site, or the number of sites is very limited. one thing you may miss with having a regular trailer is not being able to move it by hand in the site once unhooked. though having a regular trailer will probably far outweigh that one advantage of a pop up . being comfortable and having more room is a very nice thing.
Old 04-10-2013, 08:38 AM   #8

Ok, I'm just figuring out how to navigate the site and hopefully will get a picture and some kind of signature up after I figure out how to do that. I do call the CG's ahead of time and they are most helpful and I had tried to get ahold of them in the past couple weeks to see if we'd have a problem with the bigger camper...unfortunately I was unable to get anyone on the phone (surprise surprise). We haven't camped much in the state parks as we are very spoiled with a water hook up and most WI state parks only have water stations where you can only fill your water tank with. Also, it seems to be quite difficult to actually make a reservation and they are booked very early in the season. Because we are so used to the pop-up, anything over 18' looks huge to us and we can't imagine backing it in successfully and getting it in the sites without being right on top of the fire ring. My hubby has never liked backing the pop-up up...it seems to be so sensitive to every turn of the wheel. I'm hoping it's easeir to navigate a larger unit? Anyway, if he directs and I back up the unit we seem to argue less I feel much better now knowing there have been people that have had success with a 23' unit in the sites. We were leaning towards the 18' but now I feel better about campaigning for the 23' model. If and when we get it I'll post pics. Thanks so much...this is an awesome website!

Barb
JammerB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 08:51 AM   #9

The camper will be easier to back in as it will be less sensitive to steering input. The only part that will be harder will be the blind spot that you didn't have with the popup, a spotter is really helpful until you're comfortable. Ps - cell phones work great for communicating while backing in
Old 08-12-2013, 03:43 PM   #10

We bought a X23F this spring and love it. I live in western North Dakota and we pulled it out to eastern Wisconsin. We took 3 days to make the 850 mile trip and camped in a couple smaller local campgrounds and had no problems getting into spaces. A larger camper is definately going to be easier to back up with over a short pop-up. We have made 4 other camping trips and even the spots I thought were small were a breeze to get into. Use your mirrors and your spotter and you should be fine. Hope to see pics of the new rig up soon. And good luck shopping!
JohnsonJayFeather is offline   Reply With Quote