Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-19-2018, 08:12 AM   #1

Hooking up battery

Hi, I plan on hooking up my battery to my Jayco 1006 pop up. Other than hooking it up, is there anything I need to do. Look for power inverter switch? Any other switches? Lastly, what can I expect from using the battery? TWhat can it actually power? Thanks, I appreciate your answers.
adwizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 08:28 AM   #2

Depending on the year of your POPUP this pictorial shows what to expect using the two 120VAC and 12VDC Power Distribution Panels in your POPUP. The older trailers design uses alot less appliances as shown here...

TYPICAL 30A POWER DISTRIBUTION SETUP

Google image

AS you can see here the whole trailer runs from the two Power Distribution Panels... Connected to Shore Power feeds the 120VAC side which is turn will power up your CONVERTER/CHARGER units which in turn will feed the 12VDC Side. The BATTERY will also just feed the 12VDC Side at the same point the Converter/Charger unit is connected. Of course if only using the battery and no shore power connection you will only have the 12VDC Side powered up... Only your BASIC FUNCTIONS like lights, sensors, etc will be powered up.

To power up everything running off the battery you have to install a pretty high wattage optional POWER INVERTER which will require many batteries if you want Air Conditioning and high Wattage Microwave unit running...

Most people like to install two 12VDC Batteries to cover their very basic needs for some light camping OFF-GRID for a couple of night etc...

We camp all the time OFF-GRID here and use a 2KW Generator each morning to hookup to the Shore Power side and this then will run the on-board converter/charger unit to recharge our battery bank when allowed to run the generator. ALot of places have run time restrictions on using the generator...

Roy Ken
RoyBraddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 10:26 PM   #3

@RoyBraddy - thanks for the diagram & explaination. I purchased a 1999 Jayco Heritage pop-up a couple of months ago. It has a shower and cassette toilet, sink, etc. It has a battery already hooked up (it needs replaced) - I am trying to determine if the the following will run from the 12 volt side standard from the factory? Interiors lights and water pump - or are these 120 only from the factory?

Thanks, Papa D
PapaD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2018, 01:22 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by adwizard View Post
Hi, I plan on hooking up my battery to my Jayco 1006 pop up. Other than hooking it up, is there anything I need to do. Look for power inverter switch? Any other switches? Lastly, what can I expect from using the battery? TWhat can it actually power? Thanks, I appreciate your answers.

I have a '96 Jayco 1006. I have a deep cycle battery in the rack on the tongue inside of a marine battery box for protection from the elements and my own protection from the battery.

My trailer has a "CONVERTER" NOT an "Inverter". It's located in the back wall of the interior, so the top kinda needs to be up to access the converter. It will convert 120V AC electric to 12V DC to operate the interior lights, the porch light on the side, the refrigerator on 12V (switch inside the external refrigerator access panel on the left side of the trailer) and the heater. There is a switch behind the magnetic cover panel on the converter which is marked "Bat. / Off / Convert." You must flip that switch to operate the electrical system. If you are plugged in to 120V cord at home, at a campground with a 120V supply, or with a portable generator, then the switch must be at "Convert." Dome lights will work, porch light will work, refrigerator will operate on 120V, heater will operate. If you are unplugged and want the interior lights to work, then you must have it switched to "Bat." Then the refrigerator needs to be switched to 12V or to Gas. The electrical outlets will NOT work. The refrigerator will shut off if it's set at 120V and the converter is switched to "Bat." If you're not using the electrical system, then the converter switch should be set at "Off".

Note that the interior lights, the porch light, and the heater all operate on 12V. Either from the battery, or from the converter. Even if the switch is set at "converter and the trailer is plugged in to 120V.

My converter charges the battery and does a pretty good job of it.The battery also charges from the tow vehicle.

The refrigerator takes a LOT of power if running on 12V. It will kill your battery in a hurry unless you're hooked up to a running tow vehicle. Once you park and set up the trailer, it's best to operate the refrigerator on propane.

In sub-freezing weather, the heater, even set at 50° (lowest setting on the thermostat) will run quite a bit and might drain a full battery overnight. We camped in the Sierras at the end of September/start of October a while back, the camps all closed the day we left (Columbus day) and got 6" of snow 3 days after. The boondock camp had no power and I hated to use our little portable generator. Ours was the quietest in the camp though. Sooo....

Other year model or size trailers may have different converters which may operate differently than mine.
DustyMojave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2018, 07:35 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaD View Post
@RoyBraddy - thanks for the diagram & explaination. I purchased a 1999 Jayco Heritage pop-up a couple of months ago. It has a shower and cassette toilet, sink, etc. It has a battery already hooked up (it needs replaced) - I am trying to determine if the the following will run from the 12 volt side standard from the factory? Interiors lights and water pump - or are these 120 only from the factory?

Thanks, Papa D
Papa D --- Yes the trailer should run your ceiling lights and water pump on 12VDC...

All of the trailer very basic items will run from 12VDC as you can see on the diagram above...

All of the 120VAC items including the 120VAC receptacles have to have 120VAC to operate. This usually comes from hookinh up to the pedestals at the camp ground or from a generator with the shore power cable plugged into it...

You can pickup a smaller POWER INVERTER like shown in the above drawing that will produce 120VAC and it can run your 120VAC Electronics like HDTV or whatever but you have to be care doing this as it will require a very large battery setup... 2-4 batteries depending what you want to run. And on top of that you will also have to come up a way to re-charge your batteries if camping off-grid... If the batteries drop down to the 12.0VDC range then you should stop using them as they will start self destructing on the inside... You want to use your batteries in the 50% to 90% charge state when camping off-grid....

A single battery will do just fine running your ceiling lights and your fresh tank water pump.

You also should be aware that most states require you have a 12VDC battery on board if you have electric brakes on your trailer. This is a DOT SAFETY REQUIREMENT going over public roads in the event your trailer becomes disconnected from your truck whic will activate a PULL SWITCH to allow your on-board battery to apply full 12VDC Electric brakes on the run-away trailer...

Just looking at the items connected to the 120VAC and 12VDC Power Distribution panels in the above drawing will give you an idea what runs on 120VAC and what runs on 12VDC.

When you plug into pedstal power or Generator than the unit called CONVERTER will produce 12VDC at it rated output to power up the 12VDC side of the Power Distribution Panel. This connects to to the same place as the on-board battery connects up. This will also charge your battery...

There is good links on-line that describes how the RV TRAILERS work for you. If you want to run high wattage items however expect to also have a large battery bank and a way to charge your batteries when OFF-GRID...

Hope some of this helps... Up until a couple of season ago we were camping almost all the the time OFF-GRID and all of this comes second nature. Could easily stay a couple of weeks with our setup... I finally used up my my batteries that were installed in 2009 when we got our trailer and it has been parked ever since. Just now getting a new battery bank up and running now...

Roy Ken
RETIRED DOD DOAF DON CONTRACTOR Electronics Tech 42YRS

"We're burning daylight" - John Wayne
2008 STARCRAFT 14RT OFF-ROAD POPUP with PD9260C and three 85AH 12VDC batteries
2010 F150 FX4 5.4 GAS with 3.73 gears - Super Cab - Towing Package - 2KW Honda EU2000i Gen
K9PHT (since 1957) 146.52Mhz
"We always have a PLAN B"
RoyBraddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2018, 10:54 PM   #6

@Dusty & @Roy, thank you both for taking time to give me some areas to look at and test. We are used to camping with Coleman propane stove and lanterns and a cooler, so this is all new to us. I am changeing the lights to LED and adding a fantastic fan (which I understand is a power hog on full) - other than that, I expect we will use the water pump and furnace blower when camping. Have been looking at both solar set up and a 2000 or 3000 generator to help with the battery recharge when boondocking. You both have been very helpful. Thanks again.
PapaD is offline   Reply With Quote