Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-02-2020, 12:56 AM   #1

How often do I have to repack my bearings?

Jayco 1992 -- 1096 Deluxe...One axle. Two bearings. How often should I repack my bearings on my pop up? Once every two years regardless of mileage? Every season? Any thoughts on this? Thanks
adwizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 04:53 AM   #2

Depends on how often you want to be broke down on the side of the road. Lol!
In all seriousness, you don't necessarily have to repack them. If you bought it used it would be a good idea to take them apart, clean off all the old grease, and repack them with the grease that you are going to use. Some greases don't play well with each other when mixed. Once you have them packed with your favorite brand of grease, stick with that brand. If your axle has the zerk fitting on the outer end of the spindle, all you have to do is lift the trailer by the frame and not the axle just enough so the tire will spin freely and give it a spin while you pump a few shots of grease in there. Yearly is advisable, unless you are pounding tens of thousands of miles on it a year. I generally do mine at the start of the camping season.
Old 07-02-2020, 07:54 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake Huron View Post
Depends on how often you want to be broke down on the side of the road. Lol!
This is a very funny but true statement. I pull my wheels prior to the start of every season more for a visual inspection than to repack. Of course I do the full service including replacing the grease seals when I put them back together.

I even carry a full inner / outer bearing and seal as a spare just in case I have to change one roadside!

2022 33RBTS
Progressive Industries EMS - Hardwired
Equalizer 4 Point WDH
2021 Ford F350 7.3
Air Lift Rear Bags w/ On Board Compressor (Pending)
2016 28BHBE - (Traded and Missed already)
Marcm157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 09:42 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcm157 View Post
This is a very funny but true statement. I pull my wheels prior to the start of every season more for a visual inspection than to repack. Of course I do the full service including replacing the grease seals when I put them back together.

I even carry a full inner / outer bearing and seal as a spare just in case I have to change one roadside!

this^^^^ accept I only pull them every other year unless there is some reason to.. 10k miles is a good time to repack them if you put on allot of miles or if you go through standing water....

I jack it up spin them and check for excessive looseness/tightness... and bringing a spare seal and bearing set is a life saver in no mans land...
curver900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2020, 08:42 AM   #5

Every year is what Jayco recommends for bearing maintenance, but I have always done every other year. We camp 4-5 times per year, generally no more than about 200 miles from home. Based on the low mileage, I'm comfortable with EOY.
bankr63 is offline   Reply With Quote