Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-24-2017, 07:50 AM   #1

Question How should floor look from underside?

Hi Everyone,

I sold our travel trailer and am looking getting something smaller for the amount we get to camp.
We only had the one TT bought new and it had the sealed under belly, so I'm not used to inspecting the underside of trailers for rot damage, until now with the PUP.

I've only found 2 I've liked so far (non-jayco so far). One had a couple small wet spots but felt solid, the 2nd the whole underside looked "wet" stained the whole underside and a tiny bit of white which was enough to turn-me off.
Both had OSB floors.

Is there a norm look for what the floors should look like when inspecting from the underside?....
I guess this could very well depend on your climate and what conditions the PUP has seen.

Does anyone attached chloroplast to the bottom of these so the floors don't get splashed in a rain, but can still breath to dry out any moisture that does get in?

I'm being very cautious wanting a lightly used unit while obviously not pick up a rotten one.

Thanks in advance !
theoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 08:24 AM   #2

If it doesn't have any leaks the wood should just look weathered. If you see white/black spots thats a sign of moisture. I would pick up a moisture meter to test, you can pick one up on Amazon for $15, here is a link

https://www.amazon.com/Dostyle-Digit...re+meter&psc=1
Sundancer330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 08:40 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancer330 View Post
If it doesn't have any leaks the wood should just look weathered. If you see white/black spots thats a sign of moisture. I would pick up a moisture meter to test, you can pick one up on Amazon for $15, here is a link

https://www.amazon.com/Dostyle-Digit...re+meter&psc=1
I think I'm trying to determine what normal weathering should look like.
I'm in a very wet climate most of the year....not to say most of these will be used during those months.

The moisture meter is a good idea but I wonder if it would still have high readings if it has had the chance to dry out after being wet......
Old 10-24-2017, 08:50 AM   #4

JAYCO & STARCRAFT paint, or used to, the bottom side.
Old 10-24-2017, 11:05 AM   #5

+1 what Grumpy said. Our 1007 had a black coating painted onto the wood during assembly. Looked the same on the day we sold it as on the day we picked it up.
bankr63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 03:23 PM   #6

Thanks guys.
I guess the paint on the bottom is good as long as the water doesn't come from the top and if it was coming from the top you'd have a crack in the linoleum.

I wander if the darkness on the one I saw was just a treatment.

Hopefully I can find a nicely used Jayco, but might be hard to find locally.
Old 10-25-2017, 11:26 PM   #7

Get a moisture meter...Amazon, HD or Lowes have them for under $15. 8 -12% is a good reading....anything over 15% you want to stay away from. If it's untreated (painted or covered) plywood, look for a Grade designation symbol. Chances are you'll find either OSB or CDX plywood....which is okay as long as the moisture readings are acceptable. Jayco uses a fabric material (black) called PolyFlex between the frame and the plywood which is "water resistant"....meaning it sheds an acceptable amount of splashed water. It doesn't mean water proof.

If you find one that is bare wood, as long as there are no obvious signs of rot or long term water damage (signs of delaminating,or mold) and the moisture readings are acceptable, there is a product you can use to water proof the underside. Redgard is an excellent waterproofing membrane that you paint on (brush or roller) and two coats (about 3-4 gallons) will give you a completely waterproof membrane on the underside. It's pink when it goes on and dries to a dark red, and than spray paint it black or whatever color you want. The nice thing about Redgard is its a liquid rubber and it will adhere to wood and the metal frame equally well drying to a hard rubber coating. I would be more concerned about the constant moisture exposure from the road (rain, snow, ice) than I would a potential leak inside....especially if you live in a "very wet climate" as you said.

Jayco Jay Series 1206
Dodge Ram 1500, Hemi
Lifespalette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2017, 07:25 AM   #8

Thanks for all the replies. I just saw that black material that Jayco uses on their website.

The search continues....