Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-15-2014, 04:51 PM   #1

ice box?

my pop up has an ice box. how well do these work and what type of ice should I use ? block or dry ice ?
snapper388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 05:41 PM   #2

When we sailed we usually put a couple of blocks at the bottom of the ice box a day or two before we headed out to start the cooling process and then the day we left added another block to the bottom of the box. Once our supplies were in we'd dump a few bags of chips over all of it (stuff we wanted to make sure didn't freeze went on a wire shelf towards the top of the box). We'd add a couple of bags of chips each day, and replace the blocks every four or five days.

Of course this assumes you have a similar setup to what we had on the boat...
robkelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 06:50 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by robkelly View Post
snip......Once our supplies were in we'd dump a few bags of chips over all of it (stuff we wanted to make sure didn't freeze went on a wire shelf towards the top of the box). We'd add a couple of bags of chips each day
Did you use regular or Bar-B-Que?
Old 03-15-2014, 08:35 PM   #4

my ice box is a stand up box that opens from the front like a small refrigerator. it has a small tray to put ice in. it's about 1.5 cf . I would like to know if it will stay cold or do I need to put a small dorm refrigerator in it.
Old 03-16-2014, 06:32 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcfarmall View Post
did you use regular or bar-b-que?
nyuk nyuk nyuk
Attached Images

Threebutchers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 07:24 AM   #6

I'd yank it and put in a suitable dorm fridge. They (the dorm fridges) don't hold much but at least you will get whatever you can fit inside cold and won't have to deal with chips (regular or Bar-B-Que) all inside there.

In our old Palomino pup there was a traditional horizontal ice box and we used it for storing delicate items like snack foods, smores ingredients and some canned food at the bottom. We brought along my dorm fridge and set it on a folding table or picnic table under the trailers awning.
Old 03-16-2014, 09:54 AM   #7

Our previous sailboat had an ice box. We didn't use it much, sort of a PIA to keep fresh ice in it. It worked about like an ice chest ... 48-72 hours before more ice was required. We used block ice, cubed ice would last less time. For us, when sailing, there wasn't a corner store with ice available so we really limited bringing items that required cooling ... Probably why I prefer scotch to beer :-).

Current boat had 12v fridge...much better. We have a small solar panel to keep the batteries charged. If we get cloud cover for a couple days we can always fire up the inboard and let the alternator top off the batteries.
2012 Jay Flight 26BH (Sold)
clubhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 11:02 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcfarmall View Post
Did you use regular or Bar-B-Que?
Salt & Vinegar works best, but regular will do
robkelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 11:19 AM   #9

i'm going to take my ice chest with me and if the ice box don't stay cold i'll have something to keep my food cold. if I don't like the ice box i'll use it for storage and use a dorm refrigerator under the awning. if I use chips it will be sour cream & onion
Old 03-19-2014, 01:57 AM   #10

My preferred chip is Sour Cream and Onion. Preferably Old Dutch Brand.
Old 03-19-2014, 04:19 AM   #11

SC & O's are a good choice.
Old 03-19-2014, 12:15 PM   #12

My POPUP has the standard small fridge in it. IT cools pretty good but doesn't have a freezer section.

My DORM TYPE fridge is just the right height to sit on my front deck and clears the pull out tent beds. I have taken it along on a few extended trips. It is 120VAC only but work rather well. Once it gets cold I can just run it a couple of hours a day off my Inverter or Generator. It has a small freezer compartment.

I also always have my 5-day ice chest in the back on my truck. I keep this filled with ice bags. I use a small plastic lid box that sits on top of the ice to hold all the cold things we want to have. That works out great. We usually run down for Ice every couple of days just about everywhere we go.

Always check out where we can get ice as we get close to the camp site especially the off the grid places...

I thought about getting an ice maker but never did. Ice and bottled water for my coffee seems to be the most critical things to have when camping...

I also will secure a plastic container with a good locking lid in the creek by the camp site when camping off the power grid. Amazing how cold things keep in that...

Roy Ken
RETIRED DOD DOAF DON CONTRACTOR Electronics Tech 42YRS

"We're burning daylight" - John Wayne
2008 STARCRAFT 14RT OFF-ROAD POPUP with PD9260C and three 85AH 12VDC batteries
2010 F150 FX4 5.4 GAS with 3.73 gears - Super Cab - Towing Package - 2KW Honda EU2000i Gen
K9PHT (since 1957) 146.52Mhz
"We always have a PLAN B"
RoyBraddy is offline   Reply With Quote