Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-14-2011, 07:46 AM   #1

Inside Cargo Weight Distribution

Hi!

Justo to share your experiences with the cargo weight distribution inside your pop up.
I found last week end, that loading the pop up in front of the axle, road manners performanced quite good compared with my last trip. This is the picture that show the inside cargo are I used. Please your experience to this newbie!!

Pato
Attached Thumbnails
Weigth Distribution.JPG  
PatoV6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 08:58 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Pato,

Welcome to the Jayco forums.

You will find that if your cargo is placed such that your loaded tongue weight is 10% to 15% of your loaded PUP weight, you will experience ideal TV handling characteristics.

The only way to confirm your weights is a visit to your local CAT scale. If you ever decide to weigh your TV/PUP combination, the following forum sticky may be helpful: http://www.jaycoowners.com/showthread.php?t=3871

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 05:19 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic Eagle View Post
Pato,

Welcome to the Jayco forums.

You will find that if your cargo is placed such that your loaded tongue weight is 10% to 15% of your loaded PUP weight, you will experience ideal TV handling characteristics.

The only way to confirm your weights is a visit to your local CAT scale. If you ever decide to weigh your TV/PUP combination, the following forum sticky may be helpful: http://www.jaycoowners.com/showthread.php?t=3871

Bob
Hi Bob, thanks for your answer. Sorry for my english, but which part is exactly the "tongue"?

Pato
Old 11-15-2011, 09:34 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatoV6 View Post
snip....... but which part is exactly the "tongue"? Pato
Pato,

The tongue is the locking "ball coupler" welded on the end of the TT A-frame......, the ball coupler is the device that is placed/locked over the hitch ball.

Many RV brochures refer to tongue weight as "dry hitch weight". Please note that a "dry" hitch weight refers to the PUP (pop-up) condition before any cargo, fluids, battery, and dealer options have been added to the PUP. That's why you will find that "loaded" weights are more important because they reflect the actual weight as we are heading to the campground.

The 10% to 15% figure I stated in my prior reply is actually specified by TV, hitch, and RV manufactures. To be specific, the tongue weight is the weight placed on the hitch ball.

As you review some of the threads in this forum, you may also find this forum sticky helpful: http://www.jaycoowners.com/showthread.php?t=3872

If you are curious about towing trailers in general, check out some of the threads over in the Towing and Tow Vehicles section.

Hope this helps.

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 12:54 PM   #5

Quote:
Pato,

The tongue is the locking "ball coupler" welded on the end of the TT A-frame......, the ball coupler is the device that is placed/locked over the hitch ball.
Clear as water. Thanks!

Quote:
Many RV brochures refer to tongue weight as "dry hitch weight". Please note that a "dry" hitch weight refers to the PUP (pop-up) condition before any cargo, fluids, battery, and dealer options have been added to the PUP. That's why you will find that "loaded" weights are more important because they reflect the actual weight as we are heading to the campground.

The 10% to 15% figure I stated in my prior reply is actually specified by TV, hitch, and RV manufactures. To be specific, the tongue weight is the weight placed on the hitch ball.

As you review some of the threads in this forum, you may also find this forum sticky helpful: http://www.jaycoowners.com/showthread.php?t=3872

If you are curious about towing trailers in general, check out some of the threads over in the Towing and Tow Vehicles section.

Hope this helps.

Bob
Helps A LOT!!

Thank you for your time!