Jayco RV Owners Forum
 


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 11-14-2011, 07:46 AM   #1
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 16
Inside Cargo Weight Distribution

Hi!

Justo to share your experiences with the cargo weight distribution inside your pop up.
I found last week end, that loading the pop up in front of the axle, road manners performanced quite good compared with my last trip. This is the picture that show the inside cargo are I used. Please your experience to this newbie!!

Pato
Attached Thumbnails
Weigth Distribution.JPG  
__________________

PatoV6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 08:58 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus
 
Rustic Eagle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Michigan
Posts: 7,370
Pato,

Welcome to the Jayco forums.

You will find that if your cargo is placed such that your loaded tongue weight is 10% to 15% of your loaded PUP weight, you will experience ideal TV handling characteristics.

The only way to confirm your weights is a visit to your local CAT scale. If you ever decide to weigh your TV/PUP combination, the following forum sticky may be helpful: https://www.jaycoowners.com/showthread.php?t=3871

Bob
__________________

__________________

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (integrated sway control)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 05:19 AM   #3
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic Eagle View Post
Pato,

Welcome to the Jayco forums.

You will find that if your cargo is placed such that your loaded tongue weight is 10% to 15% of your loaded PUP weight, you will experience ideal TV handling characteristics.

The only way to confirm your weights is a visit to your local CAT scale. If you ever decide to weigh your TV/PUP combination, the following forum sticky may be helpful: https://www.jaycoowners.com/showthread.php?t=3871

Bob
Hi Bob, thanks for your answer. Sorry for my english, but which part is exactly the "tongue"?

Pato
PatoV6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 09:34 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus
 
Rustic Eagle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Michigan
Posts: 7,370
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatoV6 View Post
snip....... but which part is exactly the "tongue"? Pato
Pato,

The tongue is the locking "ball coupler" welded on the end of the TT A-frame......, the ball coupler is the device that is placed/locked over the hitch ball.

Many RV brochures refer to tongue weight as "dry hitch weight". Please note that a "dry" hitch weight refers to the PUP (pop-up) condition before any cargo, fluids, battery, and dealer options have been added to the PUP. That's why you will find that "loaded" weights are more important because they reflect the actual weight as we are heading to the campground.

The 10% to 15% figure I stated in my prior reply is actually specified by TV, hitch, and RV manufactures. To be specific, the tongue weight is the weight placed on the hitch ball.

As you review some of the threads in this forum, you may also find this forum sticky helpful: https://www.jaycoowners.com/showthread.php?t=3872

If you are curious about towing trailers in general, check out some of the threads over in the Towing and Tow Vehicles section.

Hope this helps.

Bob
__________________

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (integrated sway control)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 12:54 PM   #5
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic Eagle View Post
Pato,

The tongue is the locking "ball coupler" welded on the end of the TT A-frame......, the ball coupler is the device that is placed/locked over the hitch ball.
Clear as water. Thanks!


Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic Eagle View Post
Many RV brochures refer to tongue weight as "dry hitch weight". Please note that a "dry" hitch weight refers to the PUP (pop-up) condition before any cargo, fluids, battery, and dealer options have been added to the PUP. That's why you will find that "loaded" weights are more important because they reflect the actual weight as we are heading to the campground.

The 10% to 15% figure I stated in my prior reply is actually specified by TV, hitch, and RV manufactures. To be specific, the tongue weight is the weight placed on the hitch ball.

As you review some of the threads in this forum, you may also find this forum sticky helpful: https://www.jaycoowners.com/showthread.php?t=3872

If you are curious about towing trailers in general, check out some of the threads over in the Towing and Tow Vehicles section.

Hope this helps.

Bob
Helps A LOT!!

Thank you for your time!
PatoV6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Virginia State Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:52 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2002-2016 Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.