Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 12-02-2013, 09:05 PM   #1

Insulation question

I have a Eagle 10 and was wondering if anyone had experience or insight on a possible modification I thought of.

Replace the full size mattress that is unused when my GF and I camp (using the king bed on the other side) with a sheet of hard sided foam insulation ( poly Iso board ). this and installing Reflectix in the majority of the window space in an effort to reduce heat loss when camping in the cold .

We camped this weekend in high 30 and low 40 degree nighttime temps and the trailers propane heater never maintained a steady heat. It was either just about to hot…or just about to cold.

thanks in advance for any help
Old 12-03-2013, 05:20 AM   #2

We had the same problem, and got excellent results using fleece. The fleece was purchased at Hancock Fabrics store, cut to size (for our needs), doubled, and the edges were sewed. Basically, it's a fleece blanket that's cut for a specific application.

Fleece was recommended to us for its insulating qualities and it does do a good job preventing heat loss. Our inside temperatures are a lot more even now, and it takes less heat. You can pick a color to match your interior, and they fold up and are easy to store when not in use.

... should do well next summer (nice thought) with the air conditioning, too.

The foam boards are excellent as well. A lot of heat exchange takes place at the single-pane windows. The boards can be cut to fit each window. You will get good results either way. I went with fleece because I didn't want to store the boards.

Edit: Or you could try winning the Lotto, and buying a big diesel Class A with double pane windows, and insulating shutters.
OnTheGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 05:50 AM   #3

I came up with a bunch of BLUE and GREEN commercial grade carpet squares that was discarded after after being replaced with new ones at the work site. These are the standard 24" square stick down carpet squares.

I put the BLUE ones on the floor of my off-road popup and the green ones on both beds wood pull out floors. I was very much amazed how well these helped out during the winter as well as the summer for maintaining a better temperature control inside the POPUP. Also during the winter months we put down the 2" square by 30-inch foam pieces like used with the house window air conditioner installs all around the tent bed floor where the fabric is looped in place. This also stopped up alot of small air gaps. I also used these same foam sections where the bed pull outs meet the POPUP solid wall. I also had air gaps in this area on both ends. You could see daylight through these areas before adding the foam sections in place.

The only drawback on the carpet squares was we do alot of off-road camping and the carpet on the floors sure did attract leaves and other small things from our boots. The previous vinyl flooring was much easier to keep clean haha...

We also have a 9X12 tarp over both bed ends that serves as a poor man GIZMO install. These tarps also help big time regulating inside temperature...

Roy Ken
RETIRED DOD DOAF DON CONTRACTOR Electronics Tech 42YRS

"We're burning daylight" - John Wayne
2008 STARCRAFT 14RT OFF-ROAD POPUP with PD9260C and three 85AH 12VDC batteries
2010 F150 FX4 5.4 GAS with 3.73 gears - Super Cab - Towing Package - 2KW Honda EU2000i Gen
K9PHT (since 1957) 146.52Mhz
"We always have a PLAN B"
RoyBraddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 12:02 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by takingAtrip View Post
We camped this weekend in high 30 and low 40 degree nighttime temps and the trailers propane heater never maintained a steady heat. It was either just about to hot…or just about to cold.
As far as the wide temperature swings, this is a function of the thermostat. The cheap stock thermostats typically allow a big swing in temps - for example - with the thermostat set to 60, the furnace kicks on and runs until the temp reaches ~64, then shuts off until the temp drops to ~56. There should be an adjustment called the "anticipator" which can narrow the range of temps where the furnace activates... Or just replace with an inexpensive digital thermostat that will allow better temp control.
teejaywhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 06:48 PM   #5

Thank you for all the responses. I'm going look into the t-stat for sure. Under the bunk slides I could see daylight so maybe the fleece idea. Some expanding foam around the propane and electrical penetrations too.
Old 12-04-2013, 07:03 PM   #6

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_51576273347784.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	62.6 KB
ID:	10689

1st weekend out. I'm hooked !
Old 12-27-2013, 10:00 AM   #7

We bought electric heated mattress pads from a thrift store...$6.00. They are adjustable temperature wise. Originally we had them on top of the mattress, they were to hot, so we slipped them under the mattress, so cozy. It makes the swings of the furnace much better.

We also use an electric space heater now as our main source of heat. You can direct the flow of heat. We set it for our desired temperature, then we set the furnace slightly below that temp. This way we use the electricity provided by the CG and the gas we pay for, only is in use if the electric heater can not keep up with the dropping temperatures.
2005 Jayco 1007 - 2007 - 2012
2010 Jayko 141J - 2012 -
Jayko 141 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 10:14 AM   #8

In the fall and early spring the heated mattress pads are great. In the summer I place a fleece blanket under our fitted sheet as I think the OEM mattress is to “cold”. We too use an electric heater in the fall. We did replace our OEM thermostat with a digital, which is nice. But in a PU there is a lot of places to loose heat.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 05:54 PM   #9

Ever year we travel three to four months in the winter. Usually to RGV Texas or AZ. The nights can get cold sometimes and as stated above we have a mattress heater separate controls and auto turn off in case you forget. Snug as a bug in a rug we wouldn't be without it .
Clayton4971 is offline   Reply With Quote