Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-21-2018, 07:11 PM   #1

Inverter Constantly Running

I have a 2017 Jayco pop up that I bought brand new in 2016.

The inverter runs continually and it does not seem to charge the battery. When the camper is connected to the trailer it also does not charge the battery.

Ideas?

Proudcdn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 07:43 PM   #2

WELCOME TO JOF!!! The members here are GREAT!!! There is a lot of GREAT information to be found here. I am sure that you will have information and pictures to share with us... so please do!!

Is it possible that the battery is dead? What is the voltage of the battery? The main 30 amp fuse by the battery ok? Did you accidently hook up the battery backwards?

Don

My Registry

RVing with SOLAR
Is it possible that the battery is dead? What is the voltage of the battery? The main 30 amp fuse by the battery ok? Did you accidently hook up the battery backwards?
Don

2 - AirSight Wireless IP Cameras (used as rear view cameras)
EnGenius WI-FI extender, D-Link wireless (n) modem
MagicJack Internet Phone
2012 Ford F150XLT, EcoBoost w/3.73
157" Wheel base, HD Towing Package

Our Solar Album https://www.jaycoowners.com/album.php?albumid=329
Mustang65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 07:53 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang65 View Post
WELCOME TO JOF!!! The members here are GREAT!!! There is a lot of GREAT information to be found here. I am sure that you will have information and pictures to share with us... so please do!!

Don

My Registry

RVing with SOLAR
Don
Brand new battery. Fully charged when we left. It was hooked up properly and tested by the mechanic. The 30 amp inline fuse seems fine.
Old 07-21-2018, 08:32 PM   #4

Just to clarify it's a converter not inverter. An inverter produces 110v from a battery, converter produces 12v.
Old 07-21-2018, 08:38 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
Just to clarify it's a converter not inverter. An inverter produces 110v from a battery, converter produces 12v.
Yes, pardon me. It is the converter.
Old 07-21-2018, 09:07 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proudcdn View Post
I have a 2017 Jayco pop up that I bought brand new in 2016.

The inverter runs continually and it does not seem to charge the battery. When the camper is connected to the trailer it also does not charge the battery.

Ideas?
No good ideas, but I do have some questions...

My converter runs continually when connected to shore power. I can tell because of the voltage shows my battery being 'trickle' charged. My converter fan doesn't usually run, however so I can't tell by sound if the converter is running. Are you hearing the converter fan? Is that what you mean by your converter runs continually?

How do you know the battery isn't being charged on shore power? Have you checked your battery with a voltmeter?

How do you know the battery isn't being charged by the tow vehicle? There is usually very little battery charging that occurs when being towed. The wiring is too small to allow sufficient current flow for battery charging.
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 09:12 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanAZ View Post
No good ideas, but I do have some questions...

My converter runs continually when connected to shore power. I can tell because of the voltage shows my battery being 'trickle' charged. My converter fan doesn't usually run, however so I can't tell by sound if the converter is running. Are you hearing the converter fan? Is that what you mean by your converter runs continually?

How do you know the battery isn't being charged on shore power? Have you checked your battery with a voltmeter?

How do you know the battery isn't being charged by the tow vehicle? There is usually very little battery charging that occurs when being towed. The wiring is too small to allow sufficient current flow for battery charging.
1) Yes the fan runs continually (it used to only be on occasionally).

2) The battery is dead (in fact many of the lights and radio do not work when plugged in to shore).

3) Battery is dead after being hooked up to the vehicle after a 5 hour drive.
Old 07-21-2018, 09:24 PM   #8

Are you sure you connected the battery up correctly. Numerous people have made that mistake.
Grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 09:28 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
Are you sure you connected the battery up correctly. Numerous people have made that mistake.
I am positive the battery is connected correctly. Even had a mechanic check it.
Old 07-22-2018, 08:07 AM   #10

I have a thought (question) because it isn't mentioned here. You said in Post #7, "Battery is dead after being hooked up to the vehicle after a 5 hour drive."

Do you have a 7-pin or 4-pin connection on your camper? I had a pop-up once (4-pin connection) and killed a new battery in a 4 hour trip by running the fridge on DC (rather than propane) on the road. The 4-pin won't trickle charge your battery or offer current of any sort to the camper while traveling down the road (it only operates exterior trailer lighting). Any appliances running during the trip that demands electricity are run entirely on battery. The longer the trip, the longer the battery drain.

My other thought is the converter won't stop running because of the dead battery it's trying to charge. My experience is the battery may have to charge on a battery charger to regain some of its life back before the converter in your camper can take over and finish that job.

Jerry B.
SW Lower Michigan
2016 X254
2012 Toyota Tundra Crewmax TRD 4x4
36fire412 is offline   Reply With Quote