Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-23-2013, 10:40 AM   #1

Jayco Baja - New Owner, Lots of ?????

Hello All,

I purchased a 2009 Jayco Baja 10Y from first owner about a week ago. We took it on a one night shakedown trip Friday and came back with some questions.

1. I filled the fresh water tank with about 6 gallons of water but forgot to connect the battery on the drive to the campground and didn't have power to run the pump. I can't figure out how to drain the tank prior to our next trip. Do I just set the camper up in the driveway and run the water in the sink till it all drains out?

2. When I set the camper up at home right after the purchase everything was working...except the stereo. The unit lights up, the stations change, the CD spins when in but no sound. The manual isn't much help.

3. We're going to a national park in a week (no power). I have an extra battery I plan on charging prior to the trip. How long can I expect the 2 batteries to supply power for water pump, lights, etc?

4. My TV is a 4Runner - would you recommend a WDS? I didn't have any issues on the shakedown cruise but it was a very short trip (20 miles). GVWR is 4550 lbs., dry weight of trailer is ~ 2500 lbs, there are 5 of us, so gear, etc.

There's more, but these are front and center for me right now.

Thanks in advance!
Bajajajaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 11:47 AM   #2

Answer to #1. Take a look at the manual under winterization. There are drain release plugs you can pull up to empty the water reservoir.
emjayuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 11:49 AM   #3

Answer to #3... All depends on how much they will be used. For the most part neither lights or the pump take up too much juice. One thing you can always do is hook back your connection to your truck to recharge the battery.
emjayuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 02:11 PM   #4

Won't that run down the truck's battery, even though it's running?
Old 06-23-2013, 03:00 PM   #5
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bajajajaja View Post
Won't that run down the truck's battery, even though it's running?
Not if the truck is running, the alternator will charge the truck battery and send some to the trailer battery. But do not leave the trailer plugged in to the truck with the truck not running, you could drain both batteries and be stranded! BTW welcome to the forum!
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 05:45 PM   #6

Jayco Baja - New Owner, Lots of ?????

#1 - Winterization idea is a great approach. Usually there is a low point drain to open, a fresh water tank drain and a plug on the hot water heater if you have one.

#2 - What model radio do you have? Mine has a button for "A" speakers and "B" speakers and one for both. If you have the same radio hit the one for both. Ensure you don't have anything plugged into the headphone jack.

#3 - As stated previously it all depends on how much you are using the lights and how many you are using. If you are going to boondock a lot, I would recommending swapping the lights you use the most with LED bulbs. They use 1/3 or less power of the standard bulbs.

#4 - This is a much more complicated question. There are many threads in the tow vehicle forum that talk about how to ensure you are not overweight by weighing you front and rear axel and trailer. My biggest challenge I found with my truck is that I overloaded the payload of the truck and we had to transfer some gear to the TT.

Enjoy your purchase! Happy camping!

2003 Coleman Bayside / 2011 Jayco Jayfeather X20E -- RIP
2012 Tacoma Sport DCSB / 2013 Tundra SR5 - RIP
Heady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 09:38 PM   #7

Thank you all for the words of welcome and advice!
Old 06-26-2013, 09:30 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crabman View Post
Not if the truck is running, the alternator will charge the truck battery and send some to the trailer battery. But do not leave the trailer plugged in to the truck with the truck not running, you could drain both batteries and be stranded! BTW welcome to the forum!
good point!
Old 06-28-2013, 09:14 AM   #9

I added a WDS yesterday for piece of mind. We leave on a 5 night trip Sunday. Kids are excited!
Old 07-09-2013, 08:53 PM   #10

What is a WDS?
Rapidly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 06:44 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapidly View Post
What is a WDS?
Sorry, I guess it's a WDH? As in Weight Distributing Hitch?

Anyhow, we took a trip to the Sierra's. Happy to report zero problems! No sway, 4Runner had no problem going over the Grapevine and then climbing 7500 feet to our destination. The first battery lasted 4 days and I only switched to the second battery for the last day and night. Loved being able to flush the cassette tank at the campsite flush toilets. The closest dump station was 20 miles over a mountain road and the cost was $25. I was surprised by how quickly the propane went, however. Next time I'll have to be more thrifty with it.
Old 07-20-2013, 08:44 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bajajajaja View Post
Sorry, I guess it's a WDH? As in Weight Distributing Hitch?

Anyhow, we took a trip to the Sierra's. Happy to report zero problems! No sway, 4Runner had no problem going over the Grapevine and then climbing 7500 feet to our destination. The first battery lasted 4 days and I only switched to the second battery for the last day and night. Loved being able to flush the cassette tank at the campsite flush toilets. The closest dump station was 20 miles over a mountain road and the cost was $25. I was surprised by how quickly the propane went, however. Next time I'll have to be more thrifty with it.
Doesn't the Baja have two propane tanks? Did you go through both?
Big Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 07:59 PM   #13

It does, and they were both full when we left. I think running the fridge wasted a lot of the propane. I do mean wasted by the way, because the fridge was cool at best. I ended up transferring the food in there to the cooler on the fourth day and shutting the fridge down. Now I know why the original owner said he never used the fridge. I think we'll just use it for extra storage. I was thinking of removing the whole thing and just putting some shelves in there.

Also, I think I was overdoing the water heater as well. We have three little ones and whenever my wife wanted to shower them I'd turn the heater on and just let it go. I think from now on I'll just shut it off periodically.

Lastly, we did all our cooking using gas - stove and barbecue.
Old 07-22-2013, 09:02 PM   #14

I would say check your frig. I have a different frig than you, but we were out for 19 days, we had an electric site(s) for about ½ of them and we drove with the frig on propane. We did not even use one tank of gas.

Glad to hear you had a good time.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 08:46 PM   #15

Yes I have boon docked for 14 days, used hot water and refrigerator the whole time and did not use up one tank. Something is not right with that much propane usage. Where did you camp?
Big Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 10:08 AM   #16

Just got back from three weeks of on-and-off boondocking in Idaho. Used the fridge on gas most of the time (including 2500 miles on the road), cooked with the stove-top, and used the hot water heater on gas (when not at electric sites). Only used 9 pounds of propane. I was happy.
Old 08-02-2013, 10:17 PM   #17

My dealer told us the fridge is very efficient on propane, and I've found that to be true. Not even the water heater uses much prop, at least for "normal" use, i.e. dishwashing. Using the heater all night at or below freezing though will go through a 20 lb. tank in less than 2 nights. This is in a popup, of course.
Rapidly is offline   Reply With Quote