Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-11-2013, 07:44 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapidly View Post
What is a WDS?
Sorry, I guess it's a WDH? As in Weight Distributing Hitch?

Anyhow, we took a trip to the Sierra's. Happy to report zero problems! No sway, 4Runner had no problem going over the Grapevine and then climbing 7500 feet to our destination. The first battery lasted 4 days and I only switched to the second battery for the last day and night. Loved being able to flush the cassette tank at the campsite flush toilets. The closest dump station was 20 miles over a mountain road and the cost was $25. I was surprised by how quickly the propane went, however. Next time I'll have to be more thrifty with it.

Bajajajaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 09:44 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bajajajaja View Post
Sorry, I guess it's a WDH? As in Weight Distributing Hitch?

Anyhow, we took a trip to the Sierra's. Happy to report zero problems! No sway, 4Runner had no problem going over the Grapevine and then climbing 7500 feet to our destination. The first battery lasted 4 days and I only switched to the second battery for the last day and night. Loved being able to flush the cassette tank at the campsite flush toilets. The closest dump station was 20 miles over a mountain road and the cost was $25. I was surprised by how quickly the propane went, however. Next time I'll have to be more thrifty with it.
Doesn't the Baja have two propane tanks? Did you go through both?

Big Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 08:59 PM   #13

It does, and they were both full when we left. I think running the fridge wasted a lot of the propane. I do mean wasted by the way, because the fridge was cool at best. I ended up transferring the food in there to the cooler on the fourth day and shutting the fridge down. Now I know why the original owner said he never used the fridge. I think we'll just use it for extra storage. I was thinking of removing the whole thing and just putting some shelves in there.

Also, I think I was overdoing the water heater as well. We have three little ones and whenever my wife wanted to shower them I'd turn the heater on and just let it go. I think from now on I'll just shut it off periodically.

Lastly, we did all our cooking using gas - stove and barbecue.
Bajajajaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 10:02 PM   #14

I would say check your frig. I have a different frig than you, but we were out for 19 days, we had an electric site(s) for about of them and we drove with the frig on propane. We did not even use one tank of gas.

Glad to hear you had a good time.
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 09:46 PM   #15

Yes I have boon docked for 14 days, used hot water and refrigerator the whole time and did not use up one tank. Something is not right with that much propane usage. Where did you camp?
Big Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 11:08 AM   #16

Just got back from three weeks of on-and-off boondocking in Idaho. Used the fridge on gas most of the time (including 2500 miles on the road), cooked with the stove-top, and used the hot water heater on gas (when not at electric sites). Only used 9 pounds of propane. I was happy.
Old 08-02-2013, 11:17 PM   #17

My dealer told us the fridge is very efficient on propane, and I've found that to be true. Not even the water heater uses much prop, at least for "normal" use, i.e. dishwashing. Using the heater all night at or below freezing though will go through a 20 lb. tank in less than 2 nights. This is in a popup, of course.

Rapidly is offline   Reply With Quote