Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-29-2018, 08:21 AM   #1

Lift problem??

recently I was raising the roof on 2017 12SC and it got half way up and it stopped. the motor sounded like it was straining. I lowered a bit and raised again and it went up a little farther. I had to do this about 4 times to get the roof all the way up. the PU was perfectly level and I did not have any stabillizers down yet.
I do know that my battery was about dead, but I was plugged into 30amp power. I was told by dealer not to lubricated anything on the lift system. anyone have any thoughts? should I lubricate somewhere?

also if I'm plugged into power does it charge my battery on PU?
technicalspectical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2018, 05:52 AM   #2

Assuming Jayco hasn't made changes to the L&W lift system........Does the camper go down easily? If it doesn't, yes, you have problems.

But it sounds like the battery is low (or bad). If the camper will go down I would give the battery a good charge. It's not easy to tell the condition of the battery without some specialty tools.
bigdav160 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 12:49 PM   #3

yeah it goes down easy. I was plugged into power though. Does the lift motor draw from the battery and then just get charged eventually from the 30 amp shore power?
technicalspectical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 01:17 PM   #4

The lift motor is a 12 volt motor running off the battery, plugging in the 30 amp AC power does 2 things, PROVIDED it is working and the fuse is good, (you can confirm both with a volt meter). A fully charged 12 battery will have about 12.5 volts w/ no load +/- .3 volts. with the 30 amp ac plugged in you should read 13+ volts ( Mine is sitting at 13.2) Battery was at 12.1 after being unplugged for 3 weeks, thanks fo reminding me to plug it in! Now back to what it does to help with the lift motor. 1)It provides some extra amps, and 2) it provides a little higher voltage. While neither are substantial, combined they help the motor power output. I was told by my dealer if you are dry camping plug the camper into the TV and run the TV as the 7 plug system is designed to charge the camper battery when the TV is running. Typical TV charging system runs between 13.6 to as high as 14.8 depending on TV. (This may actually give better performance from the lift motor, as it can provide more amps and higher voltage then the campers power inverter)
Jeff in NC is offline   Reply With Quote