Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-30-2013, 08:38 AM   #1

Arrow Looking at a 2002 Eagle Summit pop up-M14

Quick introduction, 1st popup purchased in 1986, a 1974 model... The popup was just a basic camper with patched and repatched canvas (oh those were the days). Kids came along so we moved up to a 23' Class C motorhome, and then later a 27 footer Class C motorhome. The kids started to get involved in a lot of activities, so the motorhome was sold, and I picked up a 1975 Apache hard sided popup. Used it for several years, until we just couldn't find the time to camp, so it too was sold. Fifteen years later, we're ready to get back into the camping community, and we prefer popups.

I was looking at an Eagle Summit M14 popup with a large slide over the weekend. The unit is a 2002, and has been well cared for. The current owner was not comfortable with appliances with pilot lights, so the hot water tank and the furnace have not seen any use for a few years. Nor did they use the fresh water system. They only used the stove top on the outside of the camper and the fridge was only run on electricity. The unit has a shower / toilet combo, which they never used.... My concern is getting all the system to work as intended. I asked about the water pump, he didn't even know where the switch was to turn it on. From what I can tell the fresh water tank was empty as was the hot water tank, (plastic drain plus was removed). The drain from the shower was in the open position, so I don't expect too may plumbing related issues... I'm more concerned about the appliances. Sometimes nothing is more detrimental to an appliance then lack of use.

He mentioned a recent rash of tires issues. Since its a tandem axle (after doing some research), I'm also concerned about an axle being misaligned. Or he could have had old tires that needed replaced anyway.

On the plus side, the canvas was in perfect shape, no water leaks and no stains. The underside of the roof was perfect with no signs of water infiltration. The floor was solid, as was the underside of the bunks. The only damage was to the alum skirting to the rear after the tire. Someone may have made a turn too quick and clipped a curb. To me his price to me is a little high, but its now the off season, and he wants to move it... so I have some negotiating power. The unit does not have AC which I will add sometime in the future. Will the roof support an air conditioner? Do I need to add supports to the roof, and how do I know its pre-wired for A/C?

I plan to so see it again before making a final decision / offer. I'm trying to figure out how much time and money and I going to have in getting everything back into working order.

Does anyone know the location of the water pump and the fuse panel?
Can the rood of this unit support an A/C unit?
How do I know if it was pre-wired for A/C
I don't think I'll get a chance to fill the system with water to test them, what are the chances they're in working order? I understand it will need to be sanitized, I'm more concerned about functionality at this moment.

Sorry for the long rant, but inquiring minds...
eprovenzano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 11:31 AM   #2

The water pump on my 2002 Eagle Summit is in the lower cabinet next to the fridge. The switch was on the opposite side of the fridge. Fuse panel is behind a black cover about the size of a piece of paper, by the queen bed. (All locations from my camper, so I don't know that they'll translate.)

My Eagle hadn't been used to boondock by the previous owner, so I went through some of the things you're thinking about. I found that the water pump wouldn't work the first trip, so when I got back I took it apart and put it back together. Somehow that solved the problem.

The fridge was pretty easy to get going, but I use a match to light it instead of the igniter.. more heat means the sensor sends gas quicker.

I got the hot water heater lit briefly last trip, but it went out so I have not yet experienced hot water.

That damage on the aluminum skirting, if inside the wheel well, is from one of his blowouts. Ask me how I know!

Long story short, the systems probably work or will work with some fiddling. If a/c is a big factor for you though, I'd be looking for one with a/c preinstalled.
Old 09-30-2013, 01:29 PM   #3

Thanks Matt. I agree I think I can get all the systems working with just a little fiddling. I will take your experience with the pump though and pull the pump disassemble, clean and reassemble. As long as someone reasonably winterized the unit, I feel I can get the all of the systems working again. I think you are right with the damage on the aluminum skirting is from one of his blowouts... I didn't think of that... when I was looking around, I found a pre-drilled factory hole to a single plug on the back right side of the dinette behind the converter. I think this is for an a/c unit, but I'm not sure... I'm going to go back in a few days to look again without the wife so I can look closer at the "systems". If the fuse box can handle an a/c unit then I'll add a roof top a/c unit myself. I also sent a message to Jayco to confirm what I've seen so far.

Thanks for the info it's appreciated.
eprovenzano is offline   Reply With Quote