Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-13-2015, 02:44 PM   #1

Looking for help with a 2006 Jayco Jay 1006 Series!

Hello!

My husband and I bought our Camper two years ago right before the birth of of Youngest child in June of 2013. We bought a 2006 Jayco Jay 1006 Series Pop up with plenty of life in it!

I want to say first and foremost we absolutely love camping in it! Gone are the days of sleeping on the ground and having leaky tents for us! Our camping experience has not been without a few bump and bruises though! We have put some miles and lots of memories camping as a family of 5 with two dogs, soon to be a family of 6!

So I look to you guys, you experienced Jayco Afficiandos for some guidance as we look to break into the camping season in a few days!

Problem #1- A Husband Booboo, as he left it up when it got windy. Our Awning was set up and we were hit by a micro burst that sheered the whole thing right off the side of the camper. Major bummer but that goodness the kids and I were inside and no one got hurt! The leather sleeve that was attached to the metal side of the camper basically tore away from the awning assembly. Is this salvageable to be repaired and used later in the season? If not do y'all have some recommendations for replacements? We currently use a portable gazebo that we side up to the camper but it is cumbersome and it is not easy to take down or put up.

Problem #2: The water system. We have the camper without a toilet so there is the built in pump and water system to use the sink. It leaks (on the outside where the door to access it is) and despite cycling the pump we get no pressure. Any suggestions? I know most likely hubby will take it to an RV place for this but if there was a simple process to go through it would be nice to save the money!

Problem #3- Last year on our final camping trip I was cooking pancakes for the kiddos and it appears the breaker got flipped when my husband plugged something in, so we are without power in the camper. Only the parking lights, fan and flip lights on the ceiling work. Searching through the camper we could not for best of trying find the electrical panel. Can someone let me know where it is? The manual is ambiguous at best.

Problem # 4-- Is there a way to put a child proof lock on the screen door without drilling holes into it? We have a 17 month old toddler and a very curious 3 year old in addition to one pregnant mom who cannot run as fast as her kids I was curious if there is a magnetic lock or some sort of mangineering trick to keep our curious kids safe. They are lightning fast!

So that is the gist of the big things for now. I'm sure I will have more questions as I clean it out and do a top to bottom inspection!

The camper will be here from storage tomorrow so if need be I can post pictures and go through it if anyone can offer some advice!

Thanks!
Kaim2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 04:41 PM   #2

This is going back in time ... but some of our hints for our son who LOVED camping (and still does - as he inherited the tent-trailer). Lots of bungee cords and a few cheap bells - this alerted us to opening the door, getting out of bed, etc., and of course you can't be without a time-out chair. Now here is a story: At Big Basin (CA) there are creeks and poison oak so in an effort to recognize he was a 'big boy' (about 3 years old) while keeping him safe, he and I held hands as we walked the perimeter of our campsite and dragged a stick to mark boundaries. The rule was - if you step outside, you're in time-out. I was inside making sandwiches and keeping my eyes on him when sure-enough - he challenged the rule! We caught up and brought him back to his (outside) time-out chair and I said "Young man, your butt is GLUED to that chair until I tell you otherwise", then I stepped back inside. My husband was keeping an eye on him and suddenly said "look at that!" ... there the boy was ~ walking off holding the chair 'glued to his butt', and it was all we could do to stifle the laughter. BTW, their toddler attributes stick with them their whole lives ... so be prepared!

Genealogy Community Social Group Moderator
Hattie is offline   Reply With Quote