Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-14-2015, 08:10 PM   #1

Looking to replace the jack stands.

I have a 98 jayco eagle so12 popup. The old ones are like this, are the spring-loaded stabilizers. One of the issues we had, was on the last trip, the ground clearance was too high to swing out the stand.

What I'd like to do Is replace them with the scissor lift style.

I haven't gotten under it yet, but if anyone knows if this can be done, please let me know.
welefort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 08:32 PM   #2

IF the current jacks are bolted to the frame, as the ones in the picture are, I would see no problem. You may have to drill new mounting holes and the metal shavings that drop out while drilling are HOT !! Of course proper eye protection is a must. I am wanting to install the type of jacks you currently have on our vendor trailer but it has to cool off some first. Best of luck.
Lolead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 08:42 PM   #3

Thanks. I'll have to get under it to see exactly how they are mounted. But Im hoping for an easy switch out. I might be able to get a good deal on some BAL powered ones. But I dont want to spend the money if I cant mount them
Old 07-15-2015, 01:38 PM   #4

So I took some pictures. This is in the front.

This is the rear support

And this is the Bump Out support.

Old 07-15-2015, 02:09 PM   #5

I've got a stabilizer like that on 1 trailer. Hate it too.

Looks like yours are welded on. You'll have to cut the old ones off.
I would suggest buying the new ones first and sizing up where they will bolt up (my 19RD has them attached using self drilling and tapping screws).

After you've decided where the new ones will go, cut off as much of the olds ones with a whizwheel or angle grinder.

Sitting in The Cheap Seats.
And proud of it!
mike837go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 08:05 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike837go View Post
I've got a stabilizer like that on 1 trailer. Hate it too.

Looks like yours are welded on. You'll have to cut the old ones off.
I would suggest buying the new ones first and sizing up where they will bolt up (my 19RD has them attached using self drilling and tapping screws).

After you've decided where the new ones will go, cut off as much of the olds ones with a whizwheel or angle grinder.
So After talking with my wife about it last night, she suggested something that I never even thought of.

Jack stands. I was able to get this 4 pack set on Amazon yesterday during the prime sale for about 30$ . So rather than trying to modify the trailer with welding and screwing. We'll use these. Its not the most elegant solution, But its the best/quickest/cheapest idea! I bought some pads with it for the ground. And there is an attachment that goes on top to increase the area. These are rated for 1000lbs each, so that is good!

Thanks for your help. I may still modify it in the future. But not right now.
Old 07-16-2015, 08:11 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by welefort View Post
So After talking with my wife about it last night, she suggested something that I never even thought of.

Jack stands. I was able to get this 4 pack set on Amazon yesterday during the prime sale for about 30$ . So rather than trying to modify the trailer with welding and screwing. We'll use these. Its not the most elegant solution, But its the best/quickest/cheapest idea! I bought some pads with it for the ground. And there is an attachment that goes on top to increase the area. These are rated for 1000lbs each, so that is good!

Thanks for your help. I may still modify it in the future. But not right now.
I use these on my trailer near the axles for supplemental support. They are pretty good, but you're right on in thinking you'll eventually go with the scissor jacks. They offer great support, and they did exactly what I needed them to do. But these stack jacks are a bit finicky (the shafts wobble a bit in the frames) and getting down on the ground for adjustments and placement gets old pretty quick. It's much easier to just attach a crank or power drill and zip the scissor jacks down and be done with it.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 09:15 AM   #8

Good, simple solution. The KISS principle strikes again!

Much improved design over the ones on my last (1983) trailer. They will do your pop-up just fine.

Just one caveat: (voice of experience) Those jacks are capable of lifting your trailer off the ground and bending the frame in the process. Only tighten them enough to stabilize. Level the trailer the same way you always have and then set the stands. You will be happier than ever.

A Linx Lever under each will improve things when you are on soft ground.

Sitting in The Cheap Seats.
And proud of it!
mike837go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 05:29 PM   #9

4 pack scissor jacks

These are what we have on our 1991 806 Deluxe Four Pack 24" 2500 lb RV Scissor Leveling Jacks Trailer New 4 24 25CR | eBay
CentralNH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 06:30 AM   #10

Thats What I was originally thinking. I might get those for next year. Whats the max height on them? The main frame member is at 22" on level ground. Would they be high enough?
Old 07-27-2015, 07:10 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by welefort View Post
Thats What I was originally thinking. I might get those for next year. Whats the max height on them? The main frame member is at 22" on level ground. Would they be high enough?
Not sure on the max height number, but I use 2 Lynx Leveler blocks ("legos") under each of mine. Lumber will work too, whatever you use for leveling your rig.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote