Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-08-2020, 11:45 AM   #1

Lubrication!

What needs to be lubed regularly? What needs regular maintenance to stay in good shape? What seals need attention?

If you have photos of which seals/parts you name and a recommended product to care for that part, I would appreciate this being as dummy proof as possible!

I want to make sure our pop up is in as good shape as possible.

Side note. I noticed mid way through the cranking process there seems to be a pause and then a thunk as it keeps going.... Is all ok there? Seems to function fine.
AirCanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 02:16 PM   #2

What I am talking about is, for example, where does the slide lubrication actually need to be applied?

What lubrication, if any, do the pullies and cable require?

What seals require lubes, I see a lot of spray on lube conditioners in the RV aisle, where should I be applying it?
Old 07-18-2020, 03:48 AM   #3

Yearly i do the following. I use WD40 with teflon (ptfe for you scientific types) and sparingly spray the lift posts and bed slides. Couple drops of 3-in-1 in the lift jack “oil here” hole and some spray lube (not wd40) on the leveling screws, I use Aerokroil non teflon spray. Have not lubed the lift cables, pullys or wiffletree yet. May do that in a couple of weeks when I go camping. I have done the wheel bearings when I bought the 2006 1207 a few years ago, owners manual says yearly, but I’ll probably go 2 or 3 on that unless I am able to get out more.

With the beds extended, lightly spray the slides with quick shots of the teflon lube from the outside, then lightly spray, again quick shots, the tracks from inside the camper. With the top up, lightly spray a shot of teflon lube at each lift post junction. Make sure not to get any on the canvas. I hold a piece of cardboard behind where I’m spraying to keep any overspray off of the canvas.
Dubblbubbl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2020, 07:00 AM   #4

Great, thanks! Funny, I hadn't seen an oil here spot. Are you talking on the tongue jack?

I have done the slides so far but that's it. They roll noticeably better. I'll have to do the rest, too!

What is the Wiffle tree? What lube would you use on the cables, pulleys, Wiffle tree?
Old 07-18-2020, 11:41 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirCanuck View Post
Great, thanks! Funny, I hadn't seen an oil here spot. Are you talking on the tongue jack?

I have done the slides so far but that's it. They roll noticeably better. I'll have to do the rest, too!

What is the Wiffle tree? What lube would you use on the cables, pulleys, Wiffle tree?

On my tongue jack there’s a hole on the post that has the word ‘oil’ near it. The wiffletree is where the the four lift cables are linked together on a flat plate that is also linked to a single cable running to the winding drum. When you wind the top up, you’re actually winding a single cable around the drum, that cable is linked to the four corner lift cables at the wiffletree. Probably will use teflon spray on the cables and pulleys. You don’t want to use something oily which will collect grit and dirt which could cause problems down the road.

Here’s a veedio showing the wiffletree....

https://youtu.be/1Zkmcw7dn0k
Old 07-18-2020, 12:25 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubblbubbl View Post
On my tongue jack there’s a hole on the post that has the word ‘oil’ near it. The wiffletree is where the the four lift cables are linked together on a flat plate that is also linked to a single cable running to the winding drum. When you wind the top up, you’re actually winding a single cable around the drum, that cable is linked to the four corner lift cables at the wiffletree. Probably will use teflon spray on the cables and pulleys. You don’t want to use something oily which will collect grit and dirt which could cause problems down the road.

Here’s a veedio showing the wiffletree....

https://youtu.be/1Zkmcw7dn0k
Interesting.

So I have been finding that when I crank up my trailer, about 2/3 the way up there is a ka-chunk! And the crank moves suddenly. Any idea what that might be? Same spot every time.
Old 07-19-2020, 04:05 AM   #7

Yeah, that’s the lift cables twisting or untwisting under load while you’re cranking the roof up. It’s entirely normal.
Old 07-19-2020, 07:00 AM   #8

Quote:
Yeah, that’s the lift cables twisting or untwisting under load while you’re cranking the roof up. It’s entirely normal.
Well that is a huge relief!
Old 07-20-2020, 06:14 AM   #9

Hey Canuck, I found this in my owners manual.

TONGUE JACK
Lubricate the tongue jack by extending it to the full down position and insert SAE 30 oil through the oil hole in the top of the jack. Do this several times per camping season.
Old 07-20-2020, 07:16 AM   #10

Quote:
Hey Canuck, I found this in my owners manual.

TONGUE JACK
Lubricate the tongue jack by extending it to the full down position and insert SAE 30 oil through the oil hole in the top of the jack. Do this several times per camping season.
Huh no kidding. Now to figure out which is SAE30, if it's a product I already have or need a new one haha
Old 07-20-2020, 03:39 PM   #11

SAE30 is just 30 weight automotive engine oil (Huile). Any engine oil will do, 10w30, 0w30 etc.
Old 07-20-2020, 04:22 PM   #12

Too easy then
Old 07-26-2020, 01:03 PM   #13

Quote:
Yearly i do the following. I use WD40 with teflon (ptfe for you scientific types) and sparingly spray the lift posts and bed slides. Couple drops of 3-in-1 in the lift jack “oil here” hole and some spray lube (not wd40) on the leveling screws, I use Aerokroil non teflon spray. Have not lubed the lift cables, pullys or wiffletree yet. May do that in a couple of weeks when I go camping. I have done the wheel bearings when I bought the 2006 1207 a few years ago, owners manual says yearly, but I’ll probably go 2 or 3 on that unless I am able to get out more.

With the beds extended, lightly spray the slides with quick shots of the teflon lube from the outside, then lightly spray, again quick shots, the tracks from inside the camper. With the top up, lightly spray a shot of teflon lube at each lift post junction. Make sure not to get any on the canvas. I hold a piece of cardboard behind where I’m spraying to keep any overspray off of the canvas.
Would 3 in 1 be fine on the levelling jacks?
Old 07-26-2020, 03:28 PM   #14

QUOTE=AirCanuck;880008]Would 3 in 1 be fine on the levelling jacks?[/QUOTE]

Yep, you can use 3n1 for the stabilizer jacks. Personally, I hit the stabilizer screws with plain wd40 or Aerokriol.
Old 10-26-2020, 12:48 PM   #15

I recommend using Boesheild T-9 on all the sliding rails. I use it in liquid form and put it on a rag and to wipe on all the rails.
bhom920 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 01:31 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhom920 View Post
I recommend using Boesheild T-9 on all the sliding rails. I use it in liquid form and put it on a rag and to wipe on all the rails.
Good stuff. It's dust resistant too. I use it on our bike's chains, gears, etc.
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote