Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-04-2020, 11:44 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollander Mutthaulers View Post
Congratulations on your new rig! Looks like a real beauty, perhaps a diamond in the rough? : )

Thanks for sharing your mods and all the photos; I'v taken some notes. The enjoyment and satisfaction of making a trailer exactly as you want it is a close second to actually using it.

We had a popup for a year after 50 years of tenting. We travel a lot and rarely stay in one place for more than a night. The popup was really nice and roomy and simple to tow, but too much to set up and take down every day so we got a small hybrid with some of the great tent and popup features, like sleeping in fresh air. We still think a popup is a perfect camper for a young family spending a week or two at a lake.

Best wishes for great times getting your trailer just right and for adventures and happy travels and memories using it if the snow ever thaws up there. ; )
Here is hoping it thaws soon! Thanks!
Matteo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2020, 11:52 PM   #22

Flooring Removal

Next up on the to do list is to change out the flooring. I started with the spot that was the worst visually which was the dinette slide out. The vinyl had cracked and bubbled. I had expected to see some water damage or something but found it to be completely fine! was a relief. one less thing to do.

I went ahead and removed all the wood panels that I could and peeled back the flooring. The glue held in pretty good in certain spots I used a floor scraper for a short bit before trying a heat gun. I was able to warm the vinyl and the glue released super easily and I was able to peel up the flooring quite fast. Now to move on to the rest of the flooring. I will be limited to how much i can really remove as there are a few components I do not want to disassemble such as the wet bath, the slide-out assembly, and any propane related items. I can easily peel the floor from beneath the cabinets as the cabinets were installed after the flooring was laid.

Old 03-05-2020, 05:43 AM   #23

Being a fellow Michigander with poster "spark of insanity" I can feel his "popup pain". It's not easy to keep anything dry around here and trying to find enough sunshine to dry out a soaked popup is hit or miss at best. : )
But to each his own. We loved the light tow and airy roominess of our pup, but it was the impetus for our little trailer and we've never looked back; we love it.
Your select pup looks like a beauty and you're having a great time fixing it up. Sounds great! Best wishes!
Hollander Mutthaulers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 09:20 AM   #24

New Foam!

Just picked up the freshly cut foam from the supplier. perfect fit and smell good as new! no more smoke smell soaked cushions.

Old 03-24-2020, 11:34 AM   #25

Hopefully everyone has been making the most of the ongoing pandemic. I have been busy in my garage working on the trailer.

I managed to remove all the flooring and cabinets to make the flooring install easier. removed the power distribution, furnace, water heater, and even lifted the slide up off the floor to remove the old laminate out.

Little before and after of the dinette area.

And the rest of the floor. Went really smooth and it looks so much better. only a few small areas inside the cabinets I was unable to remove and finish the last reassembly.

Old 03-25-2020, 10:02 AM   #26

Those cushions look good as new, and the flooring looks great. Hard to tell, but is it an interlock floating floor or peel and stick? I see the Stainmaster box in one photo. That herringbone pattern is very sharp and a nice twist!

ETA: love your shop too. Wish I had that kind of space to work in. Our TT is out at a storage lot in the country, and my work gets completed in the street in front of the house. Hoping things warm up soon so that I can get some work done on it. Luckily the city has suspended issuing parking tickets for the duration of the crisis, so I suppose I have more leeway in time to work on the rig once I can actually get it out of the storage lot (was still very snowbound 2 weeks ago when I last checked on it).
bankr63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 10:06 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by bankr63 View Post
Those cushions look good as new, and the flooring looks great. Hard to tell, but is it an interlock floating floor or peel and stick? I see the Stainmaster box in one photo. That herringbone pattern is very sharp and a nice twist!
Thanks! It really feels like a new trailer already.

The tiles are a peel and stick as the interlocking floor seem to fluctuate too much for this small space and the climate I live in.
Even the peel and stick isnt perfect but I opted to fix the tiles down permanently with some 9/16" stainless staples. This will prevent them from lifting with the temperature fluctuations.
Old 03-31-2020, 09:46 AM   #28

Flooring

I have almost completed the flooring. Just a few finishing pieces to complete such as the corner edging on the step and inside one more cabinet.

Old 03-31-2020, 09:51 AM   #29

New Stabilizer Jacks

Just installed these the other day and they are definitely much more sturdy. 2.5 ton capacity with range of 4"-24". I replaced all 4 as I had one bad jack and these were on sale for $39CAD from $99CAD/pair.

https://www.princessauto.com/en/deta...ks/A-p8516684e

Old 04-06-2020, 09:38 AM   #30

Front Compartment

I got the front compartment flooring completed.

Old 04-13-2020, 11:59 AM   #31

Great Job!

Matteo You are doing a great job and I am enjoying your thread. Lots of good ideas and help.
I have a 2010 Baja 14F which is the same floor plan. I read your post every so often to see if I can pick up any ideas for my pup.
Keep up the good work.
Red Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2020, 11:31 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Wing View Post
Matteo You are doing a great job and I am enjoying your thread. Lots of good ideas and help.
I have a 2010 Baja 14F which is the same floor plan. I read your post every so often to see if I can pick up any ideas for my pup.
Keep up the good work.
Thanks! I just checked that trailer model out and wow! that's a cool setup with the deck up front.
Old 04-14-2020, 11:35 AM   #33

I like the deck for carrying stuff. I also mounted my generator on the front and an additional battery. I am going to add solar this spring and will try to post a thread of the installation. I can also carry my quad on the deck.
Red Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2020, 11:36 AM   #34

Finally reinstalled the seat cushions in the trailer. you'd never know it was smoked in previously. smell

Old 04-14-2020, 11:38 AM   #35

and curtains up.

Old 04-15-2020, 12:16 PM   #36

Looks like new! Excellent work!
bankr63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2020, 08:17 AM   #37

Nice work on the floor. Is that the groove flooring? If so was it an easy install? I don't have power tools. Someone told me I could just score and break this material. Again excellent job looks amazing
S.H.M.I.L.Y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2020, 08:40 AM   #38

Beautiful work you're doing. Looks great! Can tell you've enjoyed making this rig way "better than new". : ) Best wishes for lots of happy travels and great memories with your super customized camper.
Hollander Mutthaulers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2020, 09:51 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.H.M.I.L.Y View Post
Nice work on the floor. Is that the groove flooring? If so was it an easy install? I don't have power tools. Someone told me I could just score and break this material. Again excellent job looks amazing
First off, Thanks! its been a fun project in these odd times.

The flooring is a peel and stick but is similar to the grooved. you can take a razor blade and score the top of the tile and it will break clean. (Don't score from the bottom as the top edge will not break clean) a sharp blade helps too as it always does. I used plain olfa break-away blades and kept a fresh edge often.

note, I opted to staple the flooring down in certain areas with T50 9/16 stainless staples as with the temperature fluctuations, the glue I imagine will not be perfect. you could use a manual T50 stapler but i used a pneumatic version. If you are doing this anything under 10*C, i recommend warming the staple area with a heat gun so the staples puncture the tile and don't jam on the surface. (that's just with these particular stainmaster tiles i can speak for)
Old 04-22-2020, 09:52 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollander Mutthaulers View Post
Beautiful work you're doing. Looks great! Can tell you've enjoyed making this rig way "better than new". : ) Best wishes for lots of happy travels and great memories with your super customized camper.
Thanks! I sure have enjoyed it.