Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-11-2014, 08:32 PM   #1

My 1993 Jayco 806

Hello All, this is my first post!

Last Fall I purchased my first camper, a 1993 Jayco 806. I found it locally on Craigslist. It is in real good shape for its age, just one small seam that has come undone that was repaired. The icebox was removed as well as the propane hose and tank on the tongue. A tool box was secured to the tongue to store stuff. Other than that I believe everything is there.

Current plans are to remove the tool box on the tongue and secure a propane tank and fit a deep cycle battery to give 12v power when camping off the grid. I would also like to fit a roof rack (like a Thule or Yakima) to the roof for our bicycles. Does anyone have any advise on doing that? It would be nice to have the roof rack bars on a rail system to adjust the position of the bars towards the front or back of the PUP. I have a Thule roof rack & bike carrier on my car and would like to use that on the PUP if possible.

Oh yeah, my tow vehicle is my 2002 Jeep Wrangler, with a few mods. I have a drop hitch for it so the pup is nice and level towing it. My wife, myself and our dog will be doing our first camping trip at the beginning of August at Myles Standish State Forest in Carver, MA. We are looking forward to it.
jabroni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 05:04 AM   #2

Welcome to the forum! Looks like a nice CL score with the trailer. You'll have a lot of good times in it. Be sure to pick up an inexpensive composition book and write a daily log of where you went, what site you were on, what the temperature was, what you cooked in the dutch oven for breakfast and all the little details of every day spent camping.

I wish I had begun keeping a log book or journal when I first started camping on my own 20+ years ago but I started logging in 2011. You will find that reading your notes in the dead of winter really gets you pumped up for camping season and is a great way to re-live all your adventures.
Old 06-12-2014, 05:40 AM   #3

Welcome. I'm in the same area running a similar camper. 1995 Jayco 1207. For the propane tank mount, you'll probably find that a dual tank setup is the easiest to find. I haven't figured out how to only put a single tank on it so I switched to an auto switch over dual tank regulator and just carry two tanks
Mpking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 06:32 AM   #4

Hey, on your second picture, what's the Red thing hanging down? Is that the red string that supposed to tell you how high to raise the roof?

Mine was missing, but the previous owner had drawn on the lift tube with a black sharpie the correct lift height.
Mpking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 09:55 PM   #5

thanks for the replys!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcfarmall View Post
Welcome to the forum! Looks like a nice CL score with the trailer. You'll have a lot of good times in it. Be sure to pick up an inexpensive composition book and write a daily log of where you went, what site you were on, what the temperature was, what you cooked in the dutch oven for breakfast and all the little details of every day spent camping.

I wish I had begun keeping a log book or journal when I first started camping on my own 20+ years ago but I started logging in 2011. You will find that reading your notes in the dead of winter really gets you pumped up for camping season and is a great way to re-live all your adventures.
That is a great idea, I will make sure we keep a log of our trips, sites and meals. Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpking View Post
Welcome. I'm in the same area running a similar camper. 1995 Jayco 1207. For the propane tank mount, you'll probably find that a dual tank setup is the easiest to find. I haven't figured out how to only put a single tank on it so I switched to an auto switch over dual tank regulator and just carry two tanks
There is the base for a 2 tank mount under the tool box, I just don't have the bars or supports to hold the two tanks down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpking View Post
Hey, on your second picture, what's the Red thing hanging down? Is that the red string that supposed to tell you how high to raise the roof?

Mine was missing, but the previous owner had drawn on the lift tube with a black sharpie the correct lift height.
Yup that is the red string, but I need to reconnect it. I should put a marker line there too as a backup
jabroni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 10:07 PM   #6

A piece of 1/2-13 all thread, some nuts and a cross bar with a couple of strategically placed notches to fit over the rings on the propane bottles and you'll be in business. Make a sheet metal bracket with a 17/32" hole in it to slide down the all thread with a nut on each side and you can attach the regulator/hose assembly. You should be able to pick all the goodies up at a trailer supply place.