Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-11-2021, 10:39 PM   #1

New 1006 Deluxe owner.

Hello all.

I am a recently new owner to a fairly decent shape 92' 1006 Deluxe pop-up.
Wife and I purchased it last year. This is the first RV and pop-up I have owned. So far repairs have been minor. Tightening hinges, replacing broken clasps and magnetic clips, the exterior dome light and a couple marker light lenses.

I did a couple upgrades to it last year, Added a small solar Kit with 10A charge controller and deep cycle batteries on the tongue. Replaced the lighting with LED. Dome light lenses were brittle and falling apart from years of heat wear so I just trashed them. Installed a DC brushless fan in the roof vent. Everything works. Stove, furnace and fridge. Canvas is in fairly decent shape. No leaks, only a couple spots on one bunk window flap that was wearing thin that I applied some patches to. The only real issue is the seams are coming apart on the flap that folds under the bunk. Doesn't cause issues with leaking, but will have to find a way to repair that. It would be a shame to replace the whole canvas since it is in such good shape otherwise. Had it out 3 times last year and getting ready for this season.

This year I have a few more minor repairs and upgrades to do and am looking for a bit of advice.

First is on one corner, there was some water damage to the side where the roof latch connects to the roof. It pulled out and the back half of the camper is currently held closed with a ratchet strap for transport. Since it is just a small bit near the bottom my idea is to remove the bad wood, replace the gap with new plywood held in place and reinforced with construction adhesive and another piece of plywood over top with adhesive and screws. I would have to remove the lift post bolt from that corner to gain proper access and am just wondering how simple that is.
From what I can tell is the lift system works by a cable pulling a guide in a track that pushes a spring up the lift post to raise the roof and the bolt at the top most is purely for anchoring the post to the roof. If I raise the roof to gain access and lower it on blocks on the corners, I should be able to remove that bolt to gain access without loosing any parts to the lift post?
I can't tell if there are any parts inside the top most of the post that are also held in place with that bolt. If it is how I think it is, I should be able to pull that bolt, re-enforce and reseal that corner and attach a new latch clip.

The other thing I need to do is oil the furnace fan motor. It squeals a bit on start up and then runs quiet after a few seconds. I downloaded the manual for the furnace, but I cannot see any information on maintenance to the motor and fan bearings, just installation instructions. Wanting to know the recommended lubricant type and where to access the lubrication points. hopefully without removing and disassembling the furnace.

Finally I managed to score a 12v danfoss compressor truck fridge for next to nothing. The wiring was all disconnected so I assumed it was dead, but after hooking everything back up, it works perfectly fine. been running for weeks on 12v. I plan to remove the old 3 way Dometic and replace it with this. Based on my measurements it should JUST fit. Afterward I plan to sell the dometic (working on 120v and propane, but needs burner and flu cleaning etc), to fund another solar panel to max out my solar system.

I just bungee strap the panels to the roof rack and run the cables into the power port access flap to plug into the charge controller. 150W of solar and 90Ahr of battery by my calculations should be good to keep that fridge going, batteries charged during the day and run a light or two.

Just looking for some advice or tips. Mainly on the lift system attachment to the roof and the furnace motor. I pretty well have the fridge covered, provided it fits with not too much difficulty.

Thanks in advance.
internalvoice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2021, 12:14 PM   #2

Congrats

Hey, congrats. I too have a 92 1006 deluxe and love it. Perfect for my wife and me. No AC though. It sounds like you are far more ambitious than me when it comes to sprucing up your pup. So I can't offer you any tips. Sounds like you have everything under control. Enjoy. And many years of Happy Camping.
adwizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2021, 09:04 AM   #3

We don't have AC in ours either. Don't really feel we need it. With all the windows open it is nice and breezy an a lot if the time cooler than outside in the sun. Got the old dometic out yesterday and put the new fridge in. Gotta clean up the spray foam, put some trim on (this fridge was a bit narrow compared to the old one so there are gaps on either side. Allowed me to add 1" of foam board insulation to either side. Height and depth fit like a glove. added insulation to the back and bottom as well). Then the electical and cap the gas line. I will have to use a relay and a power supply to allow for shore power use. I can't connect it to the converter since it won't handle the extra load and it is also unfiltered DC. So i will plug a power supply into the fridge plug and use a relay to change over from the battery to the supply when plugged in to shore. The whole family slept in the RV last night. Ran a little space heater on low to keep it warm. First night out driveway camping.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20210515_153615.jpg   IMG_20210516_095441.jpg   IMG_20210516_095450.jpg  
Old 05-16-2021, 10:11 AM   #4

Fridge

Love your fridge. I've been wanting to put a dorm fridge in mine the past two years but I don't have a clue. I'm electrically challenged. But the old ice box cooler seems to do ok. Wish I had a fridge though. Let me know how it all works out. Looks like you did a great job.
adwizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2021, 03:26 PM   #5

Quote:
"The only real issue is the seams are coming apart on the flap that folds under the bunk. Doesn't cause issues with leaking, but will have to find a way to repair that. It would be a shame to replace the whole canvas since it is in such good shape otherwise."
We had some problems with seams on on our old popup and simply sewed it up ourselves. We stopped at Joanns and got appropriate heavy thread (carpet I think) and needles. Using a combination of fingers and pliers where we went through multiple layers we stitched it back up using the original holes. Once done I got some Seam Seal and went over the seams to make sure they did not weep.

Beat taking it off and going to a tent and awning guy then having to install it back ourselves or buying new canvas. New seams outlasted our ownership.
200 Watts solar panels from Renogy

Prev. '14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, gas 3.6 V6
RogerR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2021, 05:17 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by adwizard View Post
Love your fridge. I've been wanting to put a dorm fridge in mine the past two years but I don't have a clue. I'm electrically challenged. But the old ice box cooler seems to do ok. Wish I had a fridge though. Let me know how it all works out. Looks like you did a great job.

If you are just looking to put in a 120v mini fridge to power off shore power it might not be too hard. Just find something that will fit in the cavity. The Dometic units come out pretty easy. Mine was just 4 screws in the front face, 2 screws on the front bottom plate into the floor and 2 more screws in the back plate at the rear. Not sure what the electrical is like in the units that didn't come standard with a 2 or 3 way fridge, but you might be surprised to find the 120V receptacle there since the fridges were an option on all of the 1006 trailers. If the receptacle is there it could literally be as simple as simple as pulling out the old ice box and finding a mini dorm fridge that will fit, plug it in a slide it in. The only way to see if the electrical is there would be to pull out the ice box though, unless your trailer has the access panel and vents on the side. But I couldn't imagine they would install those without a fridge going in.
Old 05-16-2021, 05:20 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerR View Post
Quote:
"The only real issue is the seams are coming apart on the flap that folds under the bunk. Doesn't cause issues with leaking, but will have to find a way to repair that. It would be a shame to replace the whole canvas since it is in such good shape otherwise."
We had some problems with seams on on our old popup and simply sewed it up ourselves. We stopped at Joanns and got appropriate heavy thread (carpet I think) and needles. Using a combination of fingers and pliers where we went through multiple layers we stitched it back up using the original holes. Once done I got some Seam Seal and went over the seams to make sure they did not weep.

Beat taking it off and going to a tent and awning guy then having to install it back ourselves or buying new canvas. New seams outlasted our ownership.

that is what I was thinking about trying, but my manual sewing skills are poor. I am no good without a machine. Still might try it, realistically I shouldn't be able to make it any worse by adding some stitches..
Old 05-22-2021, 09:23 AM   #8

Well I got the fridge done. Ran out of time to work on the water damage and still havent figured out how to get at the furnace fan motor. I closed it up on tuesday, has been raining all week and is supposed to keep going all weekend until mid next week.

Finished the fridge off by adding some trim to the front. I thought i was going to have to make some custom brackets for it since i was only able to anchor to the floor, but the expanding foam i used to close up the gaps glued it in pretty solid.

The power supply is a 5.8A supply and i have a 10A relay with a 120v coil that connects to battery when there is no shore power. When shore power is connected it changes over to the power supply. And i left the brushless fan i instaled for the old fridge to aid in airflow.

Fridge draws under 3A when running. about 45W. New battery box to hold my batteries 90AHrs, with an auillary/charging lead and anderson power pole connector for the trailer. Used a cheap wal-mart tool box.

I also managed to sell the old fridge and have a 100W solar panel on order to bring my array up to 150W.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20210516_151220.jpg   IMG_20210517_192042.jpg   IMG_20210517_192615.jpg   IMG_20210517_184738.jpg   IMG_20210517_183812.jpg