Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 12-09-2021, 03:49 PM   #1

New door or fix

Hi all
We have a 2013 Jayco Jay series 1006 pop up tent trailer. Bought it 1.5 years ago. In the last few months, we have noticed the (one piece) door bends out too far at the bottom when the top aluminum lip is connected. In the beginning, it was a bit tight, for a good seal, and was far easier to install the door. Now it is near impossible to get the door in.

Is there is no way to correct this? straighten it somehow?

The other two options are to get a used door in good condition or find the best price for a new one. Hopefully get a Canadian price since we are in BC.
Thanks for any suggestions.

JCBond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2021, 06:52 PM   #2

I think the first thing is to find the reason it is bending. If you can't than you may have to take it to a shop. If it is the frame or setup and not a defective door you might get it to go back to shape once you know what is wrong and correct it.

Having a somewhat similar model that hung from the ceiling in transit and the rest stayed in the doorway. The part on the ceiling could be getting bent due to something in the fold down sequence. The walls may be out of alignment or the frame screwed in wrong in the bottom of the door.

Publish a few pictures please.
200 Watts solar panels from Renogy

Prev. '14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, gas 3.6 V6
RogerR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2021, 06:13 AM   #3

I agree. Find the cause or issue then buy another door. Or...I'm sure it's an aluminum framed door which can be bent back to shape. I'd jig it on a piece of plywood with a lot of clamps and see if you can draw it back to shape. Key is to keep it as square and flat as possible. Leave it clamped overnight. It should get memory by then to stay the way it is. Do catty corner measurements. They should be identical to eliminate racking.

Did someone try to put the roof down with the door in place?
W/Air Lift air bags (front & rear)
Equal-I-Zer™ WDH & B&W Companion
TWP723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2021, 01:18 AM   #4

Thanks for the quick replies!
We have been very careful never to put the roof down when the door is still in.
I took it to an RV shop. They suggested to try the door before anything else was set up, and the stabilizer jacks are still up.
When weather permits, I'll go to the storage site where it resides and try it again.
If this still has issues, I'll take pics and post them for you.
Thanks again
JCBond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2021, 11:31 AM   #5

Interesting, I would do the opposite of what they suggested. The door on these is overly sensitive to out-of-level situations. I would always ensure that the trailer was properly leveled before installing the door. If the stabilizer jacks are too tight, it can cause the door opening to squeeze together at the top a bit through the flex. If you look closely, you might notice that the door opening is a bit wider at the top than at the bottom to allow for this.

I would check my level carefully to see if that might contribute. Do you use the little spirit or gravity ball levels on the trailer box? It is possible for these to get a bit off-kilter if the glue is failing. Use a large spirit level to confirm that the trailer is level as a cross check. I have a big 6-footer that I use occasionally to cross check my little bullet levels. If your trailer is out of level left to right, there can be enough flex in the roof supports to cause what you describe.
bankr63 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
jayco 1006 door