Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-28-2013, 03:54 PM   #1

New Jayco Owner with a few questions...

Hi-

Decided to make the jump from tent camping to a pop up trailer. Picked up a ‘98 Eagle 12 UDK Wednesday night and I have a few questions:

I need some odds and ends like the caps and plugs for the fresh water holding tank, a tail light, cabinet door latches, stuff like that. Some items that would be specific to Jayco, and some items that would be more general in nature. Anybody have a recommendation on where to source parts like these?

Since the fresh water tank has been open and exposed for who knows how long (due to the missing caps), I’d like to clean/flush the entire freshwater system. What’s the procedure for something like this?

The tires need to be replaced. Any recommendations as far as brands to look for/avoid and load ratings? I don’t remember off-hand the specific tire size, other than I know they are 13” wheels and a “C” rated carcass.

The lock for the door to the auxiliary/outdoor shower…is it supposed to be keyed the same as the entry door? The key I have is stamped “CH1”, and it doesn’t work for the shower door, just the entry door. I’m not even 100% certain that’s the correct key for the entry door as the fit is very “sloppy”. Additionally, the previous owner gave me two more keys (both cut differently) that fit and turned the lock to the entry door. Neither of these mystery keys worked on the shower door though. Seems like the entry door lock cylinder needs to be repaired/replaced.

Also, since this is my first pop up, any helpful advice in regards to pop up care and maintenance would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

1998 Eagle 12 UDK
1988 K20 Suburban
JCampbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 04:23 PM   #2

First of all -- Welcome to the forum! Glad you found us!

Many of the items you need can be found at online shops like http://www.tweetys.com ....if you have something very specific to Jayco, just give them a call and be prepared to have your VIN...they should be able to point you in the right direction and often have parts going way back.

On the fresh water tank, there is a procedure using a mild bleach solution. Would recommend going to the Jayco site and downloading a manual. They wont have one for a '98 Eagle, but they do have one for an '03 I think and the procedure should be the same.

I will let someone more experienced than me answer the tire question

Not as familiar with your model, but generally you have one key that fits the entry doors, and another key that fits the cargo doors and shower door. Given that it is a '98, it is more than possible that some of the locks have been changed out. If memory serves, the standard key is a CH751, but you can change them to about anything.

Enjoy!!

2009 JayFlight Manual Library

Want to add a signature to your posts? --> Click Here
Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 05:22 PM   #3

Thanks for the info, Terry.

1998 Eagle 12 UDK
1988 K20 Suburban
Old 02-28-2013, 05:53 PM   #4

As for the tires. You need trailer tires, ST or LT tires, DO NOT use passenger (P) car tires. ST and LT tires have a stiffer sidewall, and are required for towing, or the PU (pop up) will sway (pull) you all over the road. You should be able to find ST’s really easily, 13” LT are hard to come by. I have seen them, but not for a while. If you match what the side walls say you should be good, also check your spare, it is getting old too.

As for sterilizing the lines, you need a little bleach, I would guess about a ¼ cup for the PU. Partially fill the tank, add the bleach, fill the tank and water lines and let it sit for about 4 hours, then flush it out. If you go to Jayco’s website, you can download a generic owner’s manual for any TT (Travel Trailer), and it has the details of time verses amount of bleach.

The shower lock, is probably a CH751 key. Nearly every trailer uses that key for the cargo holds and showers. If you can find someone with a TT, I bet they can help you open it, to confirm the key. You can buy that key online really easily; I think I saw them for about $2.50 each.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 09:43 PM   #5

Thanks, Jagiven.

I'm new to pop ups, but no stranger to trucks, trailers and towing, so I hear you on the tire advice. I had just read on a few other forums about some people having issues with chronic tire blowouts (but I think that was with the small-diameter wheels/tires). There was discussion on using an "E" rated tire...I guess I was just fishing to see if that was really necessary. Also to see if there were any specific brands to avoid.

I got home tonight and set up the trailer so I could give it a once-over. Took some time looking over the fresh water system. It's a lot less complicated than I had envisioned. I'll flush it all out this weekend when I'm cleaning the unit.

I did a little more reading after I posted. My local RV shop has the CH751 keys in stock for $2. I'll pick one up and see if it works.

As far as the upholstery goes; is it safe to toss the cushion and mattress covers in the washing machine to clean them up and hang to dry? I read something about using Woolite?

1998 Eagle 12 UDK
1988 K20 Suburban
Old 03-01-2013, 09:38 AM   #6

Jason CH 751 is the generic storage compartment key almost every trailer owner has one on his key ring.. Most of the parts you need are generic and any RV dealer will carry them... for Jayco specific parts visit your local Jayco dealer. Tires... do you know how to read the date codes on the side wall? there will be a stamping there with 4 numbers the first two numbers are the week of tire manufacture the last two are the year they were made.. Tires over 7 years old ARE WORN OUT AND DANGEROUS no matter how good they look... personally I wont drive on tires that are over 5 years old... date code example (4210) made the 42 week of 2010...

Your water system.. fill your fresh water tank 3/4 full of water add 1/2 cup of bleach finish filling the tank.. run all taps till you smell the bleach water solution coming out shut off and let sit for an hour... even better if you can drive around the block a few times to make sure it sloshes up all over the FW tank.. drain ... and since you are not sure of the tanks health repeat the process a second time.. then flush with lots of fresh water...

Hope this is of some help to you
93/2020,157/2019219/2018 206/2017,215/2016, 211/2015, 196/14, 247/13, 193/12

Seann45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 09:59 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

I just bought some 13" tires from eTrailer on rims for $111, free shipping.
I had the guy go out to the warehouse to verify age. They were stamped 4112, so fairly new and they rotate the tires 1st in 1st out.
They were getting new tires in, so they probably were evn a fews weeks or months newer.
http://www.tweetys.com is the vendor that supports this Forum and they have good prices. They just don't carry tires that I seen.

I have not been able to find 13" LT tires.

Depending on tread width, eTrailer has radials or bias ply ST - D rated tires.

I've personally never had a tire blow out, but like others I replace at 5 years. I would think pop-ups are less likely to blow because of their light weight.

I would also recommend addressing any surface rust on the bottom of the trailer and all frame components.
I use a rust convertor and then coat with truck bed liner spray. The truck bed liner is pretty tough and the best part is if rust returns, it will pop off and you'll see you need to retreat that area.

Best regards,
Doug

Cape Coral, Florida
2021 Toyota Tundra SR5, 5.7 V8
2022 Jayco 240RBS
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 11:17 AM   #8

regarding washing mattress and cushion covers i usually wash on delicate cycle, cold water and nothing harsh for detergent and then reinstall the cover back on cushion. otherwise if it drys on the line and then you try to reinstall it might be fun getting it back on. this has always worked for me , be interested to see what other people have come up with. main thing is just dont shrink the covers. and... congratulations on your new camper.
Old 03-01-2013, 12:15 PM   #9

Right on, Guys. Thanks for all the input.

1998 Eagle 12 UDK
1988 K20 Suburban