Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-08-2017, 08:53 AM   #1

New owner newby question Jayco ud 12

Hi,

I have a jayco 12 ud was thinking about adding a microwave ...Can run a 700 watt ? i have no air conditioner but I want to make sure nothing rally showing in the Manuel.

Thanks,
indygoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 11:14 AM   #2

If it's like my Jayco pop-up, all your outlets are on one circuit. That means your total wattage won't be about to exceed 1600 to 1800 watts without blowing the breaker. The a/c would be on its own breaker if you had one.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Jerry B.
"Stateboy" (Formerly "36fire412")
SW Lower Michigan
2016 X254
2012 Toyota Tundra Crewmax TRD 4x4
stateboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 12:18 PM   #3

Perfect I wanted to make sure thanks for confirming .
Old 09-08-2017, 01:58 PM   #4

If your 12UD is wired for AC, you likely have a dedicated circuit that you can use for the MW. This is safer than plugging into the general circuit.

In our 1007, the pre-wire for the AC was coiled in the power cord cabinet (semi-sealed, but one screw to remove to access). This was located directly under where a rooftop AC would be mounted. There was a breaker already mounted in the panel for it, but was 20A. There was enough slack that I could have mounted a box and outlet on a nearby cabinet and plugged in there.

A mod worth considering?
bankr63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 02:28 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by bankr63 View Post
If your 12UD is wired for AC, you likely have a dedicated circuit that you can use for the MW. This is safer than plugging into the general circuit.

In our 1007, the pre-wire for the AC was coiled in the power cord cabinet (semi-sealed, but one screw to remove to access). This was located directly under where a rooftop AC would be mounted. There was a breaker already mounted in the panel for it, but was 20A. There was enough slack that I could have mounted a box and outlet on a nearby cabinet and plugged in there.

A mod worth considering?
Good call Bankr63. I have the same model pop up (2010 model year) and have the AC installed. I sometimes will use electric heaters instead of the propane heater on cooler evenings. I've learned that I can run both off the one circuit if I run both on the low setting (750 watts) versus one on the high setting (1500 watts) if I want to distribute the heat more evenly. That happens on those nights when I'm feeling cheap on propane and want to use the electric I've already paid for on my campsite.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Jerry B.
"Stateboy" (Formerly "36fire412")
SW Lower Michigan
2016 X254
2012 Toyota Tundra Crewmax TRD 4x4
stateboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 01:08 PM   #6

I have a small manual in my 99. Works fine. Dedicated AC line that is 20a, and I just have the microwave plugged into an open socket by the bunk. No issues so far, and I have had the microwave running while a couple tablefans and lights are on. You should be fine.
Sneezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 04:44 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sneezer View Post
I have a small manual in my 99. Works fine. Dedicated AC line that is 20a, and I just have the microwave plugged into an open socket by the bunk. No issues so far, and I have had the microwave running while a couple tablefans and lights are on. You should be fine.
Is this even when I boon dock? I tried a couple of things but do not seem to work so I am a bit worried.

It seem like I cannot run my heater and propane and other appliances at the same time ..im all new at this so I wouldn't be surprised if I am doing something wrong.
Old 09-11-2017, 04:44 PM   #8

Is this even when I boon dock? I tried a couple of things but do not seem to work so I am a bit worried.

It seem like I cannot run my heater and propane and other appliances at the same time ..im all new at this so I wouldn't be surprised if I am doing something wrong.
Old 09-11-2017, 05:04 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by indygoman View Post

When you boondock you will not have any 120V power at any of your outlets--this is normal. No coffeemaker, hair dryers, electric heaters, or microwave.

Assuming you have a battery in your PUP you will have 12V power suitable for a couple of lights, recharging cell phones or listening to the radio. If you have a propane heater, the battery will run that for a while. Don't run it too long or the fan will drain your battery.