Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-17-2017, 06:57 AM   #1

New owner question dump!

Good morning,

Recently purchased a 2004 Jayco Qwest I found for a good deal. The PUP is in almost perfect condition. I just have a few questions that I have before I take it out for my first trip in a few weeks. Thank you in advance if you can help me out with any of the questions below. Thank you!

- The power plug currently just hangs out the side. Are there covers we can/should buy that slip over the plug or should I put in a new cord pocket that locks and closes?
- The jacks attached to the trailer that come down in the back do not have pads on them. I purchased some leveling blocks, but is it necessary for those jacks to have some type of pivoting pad on them?
- As I have tent camped my entire life, I’m used to 100% seal. However, where the Velcro attaches in a few spots around my camper, especially around the top corners of the door, there are small holes where there’s no Velcro or just because the Velcro doesn’t bend perfectly to seal 100%. I’m not too worried about animals, but it’s definitely a waypoint for bugs to enter the camper. Is there something that is missing with this camper or is there a way to temporarily seal these small holes when I’m on the trail?
- I have either used Coleman water proofer or KIWI boot waterproof on the seams of my tents over the years. Can these or something similar be used on the walls of my camper?
- Similar to an online auto parts website, are there any online retailers that I can plug in my year, make, and model to find accessories specific for my camper such as canopies, parts, decorations, bike racks, etc? We would definitely like to get a canopy and possibly a bike rack. The camper I purchased appears to have the connection points to install a canopy, but I’m not sure where to start shopping. I like to take advantage of amazon prime, especially for my bigger toys since for a lot of large, heavy items, I can get free shipping.
- I have the EZ Lube axle. Where can I find the tool needed to attach and the proper grease?
- There are a couple canvas patches installed and appeared to be waterproof as I inspected it after a heavy rain. However, from the inside, it appears to be peeling a bit. Is there a good/bad brand of patch that I can get to re-do the patch?
- Any special precautions when modifying the outside of the camper? I’d like to install a flag pole holder on the outside.
- Water system: We have a sink. Just for safety reasons, I’d like to replace all the hoses. Any special precautions I need to take when replacing them?
- Any areas I need to grease/lubricate triply, annually, etc? Bed slides, rising posts, jacks, etc?

I’m sure I’ll have more questions to ask eventually, but wanted to start with these to get me going for the summer! And again, thanks in advance for any help!!
bjlasota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 07:24 AM   #2

I just sent you a private message before I try to answer some of your questions.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Jerry B.
"Stateboy" (Formerly "36fire412")
SW Lower Michigan
2016 X254
2012 Toyota Tundra Crewmax TRD 4x4
stateboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 07:27 AM   #3

Morning!

1) I've never seen the power cord on this PUP, so can't answer much there.
2) Those round things on the arms are called sand pads. I've seen people without them but I'd recommend putting them on for stability.
3)My old PUP was the same way with the Velcro. I never did anything to it and never had problems. But that's your call. I don't think it's necessary myself.
4)I've only used seam sealer on my Coleman. Have never treated the tenting and never had problems. I'm sure it won't hurt.
5)You can try www.JaycoRvParts.com
6) You can pick up a grease gun just about anywhere. WalMart, Lowes and Home Depot have them for about $10-$15.
7)Not sure about the patching. Someone will chime in with some ideas, I'm sure.
8)Be careful HOW you attach to the PUP. I wouldn't screw ANYTHING into it myself. May want to opt for a ground mount for your flag.
9)The website above may help you with that. No biggie as long as your handy.
10)I would definitely lube the jacks and slide parts. Check your cable system too. They can hide hidden problems. Been there, done that.

Good luck and camp on!!
W/Air Lift air bags (front & rear)
Equal-I-Zer™ WDH & B&W Companion
TWP723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 07:38 AM   #4

So any type of lube gun will work? Is the fitting special? Working in a steel mill for awhile, I know there's quite a few different types of fittings out there. Just want to make sure I get the right one. I guess I could get my lazy butt on the floor and just look what fitting it is. Thanks for the answers.

As for the plug, it just comes out of a hole in the side. The plug itself is exposed to the elements when traveling down the road. The cable is rigid enough that I don't have to worry about it coming out while driving, just didn't know if having it exposed is an issue or not.
Old 04-17-2017, 11:33 AM   #5

Power plugs are usually on the end of a 20 or 30 ft. cable permanently attached that pushes into a box inside the camper or are a fixed inset plug. Without a picture I am not sure what you have. There are little doors over the plug hole that are cheap to replace. Any RV store.

You might want to check and see if this is a poor retrofit for a stolen or broken power cord or broken built in plug. Or a replacement end that is oversized.
below is a link to a power cord door.

https://www.amazon.com/NU-SET-RV011-.../dp/B00CJ0B6KC
200 Watts solar panels from Renogy

Prev. '14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, gas 3.6 V6
RogerR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 11:40 AM   #6

@RogerR - There is a heavy plastic gasket that the cord comes through on the outside. It looks like stock equipment, it's just that the plug head is so large, that you can't push it into the camper during storage or while driving. If I wanted to get the whole power cord into the camper currently, I'd have to unhook the wires from the power box, pull the whole cord to the outside of the camper, and then carry inside. I'm wondering if someone sells a power cord cover for the head of the cord that hangs on the outside. The power plug head doesn't push inside because the thru-hole is only big enough for the wire gauge. I will get a picture when I get home.
Old 04-17-2017, 11:43 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjlasota View Post
So any type of lube gun will work? Is the fitting special? Working in a steel mill for awhile, I know there's quite a few different types of fittings out there. Just want to make sure I get the right one. I guess I could get my lazy butt on the floor and just look what fitting it is. Thanks for the answers.

As for the plug, it just comes out of a hole in the side. The plug itself is exposed to the elements when traveling down the road. The cable is rigid enough that I don't have to worry about it coming out while driving, just didn't know if having it exposed is an issue or not.

Pretty much looks like a caulk gun with a hose. Uses caulk tubesof bearing grease. Get red grease, it has a dropping point of 500+ degrees. Regular automotive zerk fittings. As far as the power plug, I'd like to see a pic of it, if possible.
W/Air Lift air bags (front & rear)
Equal-I-Zer™ WDH & B&W Companion
TWP723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 09:21 PM   #8

Quote:
@RogerR - There is a heavy plastic gasket that the cord comes through on the outside. It looks like stock equipment, it's just that the plug head is so large, that you can't push it into the camper during storage or while driving. If I wanted to get the whole power cord into the camper currently, I'd have to unhook the wires from the power box, pull the whole cord to the outside of the camper, and then carry inside. I'm wondering if someone sells a power cord cover for the head of the cord that hangs on the outside. The power plug head doesn't push inside because the thru-hole is only big enough for the wire gauge. I will get a picture when I get home.
I'd like to see that picture of your electrical plug you said you might post. I'm sure we can get you fixed up. Once you're repaired (and I'm guessing you have a 30 amp system), then you'll want to pick up a $10-$12 'pigtail' off Ebay so you can connect your 30 amp power cord to 15 -20 amp household outlets. It may sound confusing but I can simplify it. Post a pic and we'll go from there (or call/text me - you have my number in the private message I sent you).

Jerry B.
SW Lower Michigan
2016 X254
Old 04-18-2017, 10:06 AM   #9

Here is a picture of the plug. And yes, I have a 30amp system. I've already purchased the 50-30 amp converter, and also the 30amp to 15. Already tested all the electrical systems on it as well.
Attached Thumbnails
18042892_10154219874782504_1585674185_o.jpg  
Old 04-18-2017, 10:11 AM   #10

Quote:
Here is a picture of the plug. And yes, I have a 30amp system. I've already purchased the 50-30 amp converter, and also the 30amp to 15. Already tested all the electrical systems on it as well.
Not sure how or why you ended up with that type of fixture to hold your power cord. The link up above to Amazon would get you the correct one and I've attached that photo. That's the style that's on mine which allows the pronged end of the power cord to stay recessed inside the door of that $7 contraption.

Jerry B.
SW Lower Michigan
2016 X254
Old 04-18-2017, 10:15 AM   #11

It also looks like the 3 screws align properly to allow a seamless replacement to what's posted in this thread at Amazon.

Jerry B.
SW Lower Michigan
2016 X254
Old 04-18-2017, 10:37 AM   #12

Yeah, that's what I figured should have been on there. If you look close enough, it almost looks like there was a different one at one point. Maybe it broke or something. Either way, i'll look into that Amazon one and put it on before our next trip. Thanks!
Old 04-18-2017, 11:16 AM   #13

Here's a picture of the cover over my zerk fitting for my EZ Lube axle. I also have a with flash and without flash picture of what's underneath that cover (the zerk fitting). The other picture was the mini grease gun I picked up at Harbor Freight. I went with a smaller gun for easier storage in the trailer. After greasing mine this past Saturday (for the first time-the previous owner of 2 years never touched them), I'm guessing that cartridge should allow for one to two greasing before having to replace the grease cartridge. Harbor Freight sells them in a three-pack and possibly other configurations. Walmart may sell them as well.

Jerry B.
SW Lower Michigan
2016 X254
Old 04-18-2017, 11:56 AM   #14

I didn't see you mention if you had the owners manual or not so...

https://www.jayco.com/owner/manuals/?year=2004&cat=0010

Also, what I did when I downloaded mine (to my phone for easy reference) I also wanted a printed copy. I printed the 110 pages (double-sided) and laminated the front and back covers (my wife has that tool for homeschooling). Then I took the loose pages to Staples (who also does laminatation) and had them spiral-bound. Now I have a copy I keep with other manuals in the camper. The spiral binding keeps it all together and allows it to lay flat. The front and back covers being laminated provide durability and easy cleanup if you happen to lay it in ketchup on the picnic table. :-)

I turned my flash on so you could see the reflection on the laminate.

Jerry B.
SW Lower Michigan
2016 X254
Old 04-18-2017, 01:37 PM   #15

Excellent, thanks for the grease gun and manual information. I actually printed the manual out last night and put it into a 3 ring binder. I may however do the staples thing you did. Didn't know they did that, and I have found manuals online for other things(motorcycle mechanics manual, bicycle manuals,etc). Maybe I'll create a garage bible by printing them all and making one large book!

I also found the Norcold model and manual with replacement parts and printed that as well. Going to need that because my gasket is shot, so I have to replace that.
Old 04-18-2017, 01:43 PM   #16

I learned about the laminating and spiral binding services a few years ago myself. I've done it to prior shop manuals or just about any other soft-covered book that wouldn't stay open and flat since then.

Jerry B.
SW Lower Michigan
2016 X254
Old 04-18-2017, 01:58 PM   #17

You talked about replacing some of you plumbing in an earlier post. Have you considered just bleaching the system first? I'm not sure on the reason or desire to replace pipes and tubes (unless, of course, you have some visible or obvious damage or problems).

I was told by the second owner who I bought my unit from that neither he nor the previous owner ever used the water systems (potable or grey). I want to just to see how they work and force me to familiarize myself to them (as well as the subsequent flushing needed for winters up here). I also have a 6 gallon water heater on board and an external shower so I'll have a lot to learn and a lot to flush.

Jerry B.
SW Lower Michigan
2016 X254