Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-07-2020, 04:48 PM   #1

Exclamation New Owner Questions

Hello Everyone!

We just purchased a 2017 Jayco Sport 10SD, and I'm trying to learn everything I can before we go out the first time. I am pretty sure we have the 'Customer Value Package' on ours, cause it came with the plug in light fans, the screen room, fridge, A/C Prep, stove, etc. (which thanks to another thread, I think I figured out how to get that going).

My first question - There is a switch on the side of the bench (near the floor in the kitchen area). It is not labeled at all. When not on 120V and turn it on, a red light comes on, but nothing happens. When I have the 120V plugged in, it does not matter if I flip the switch on or off, the red light stays on. The manual doesn't say anything about what this is, the only thing I can gather is that it's a toggle for the converter. I was able to trace this wire, and they both went into the Load Center, so no help there. And the red light does not have a label next to it.

Second - The water pump. The manual says that it is "on demand", but there has to be a way to turn it on and off. It says that the water pump switch should always be in the off position when not using it, but there isn't a switch I can find (other than the one in the previous question). I haven't put any water into the tank, so I'm not yet sure.

Third - The fridge. I think I'm pretty set on this one, just want clarification. The Norcold fridges that come in these models, they take 24/48 hours to get cool when hooked up to 120V, right?

Thanks!!
Old 07-07-2020, 06:24 PM   #2

The switch may be for battery power when not on shore power. It probably stays on when you're plugged in to let you know you have power from the converter.
Old 07-07-2020, 06:33 PM   #3
Site Team

That's a very good question. I've looked at several ads for 2017 and 2018 10sd's for sale, and don't see a switch in the pictures. By your description, it's not the water pump. You may be able to find the pump, and follow the wires to a switch location.

A possible way to find out what that switch does, is to turn it on (on 12 volt power), and one at a time, pull the 12 volt fuses in the electrical panel, until the light goes out. Then see what that fuse is suppose to power. They should be labeled. Let us know what you find.

The fridge should cool down in 24 hours or a little less, depending on the outside temperature.

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2020, 07:53 PM   #4

Congrats on your purchase and welcome.

My pump switch is near the door with switches for the water heater, lights, and awning. It looks like a plain rocker switch.
Old 07-07-2020, 08:03 PM   #5

My guess would be that switch is for the water pump. The on demand means that if you have water in your fresh water tank and you're NOT hooked up to city water with the switch in the on position the pump will activate when you turn on a faucet or flush the toilet. The pump will continue to run until pressure builds in the line to whatever the pressure sensing switch is set to. If you have no water running and the pump continues to cycle off and on it means there is a leak somewhere in the system. The pump is activate by a pressure sensing switch. The water pump is probably located under the bench where the switch is located. Remove the cushion and the wood panel that supports it and my guess is the pump is under that panel.

2018 Jayco 28RLS
2012 F-250 6.2L 3.73
Equalizer Hitch
Yamaha 2400ISHC
2edgesword is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 06:35 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaftCoach View Post
Congrats on your purchase and welcome.

My pump switch is near the door with switches for the water heater, lights, and awning. It looks like a plain rocker switch.
Thanks! I think that is what this switch is for as well. I was able to make it to the storage unit today where I'm keeping it and found the A/C Prewire plug, was hidden under some wires. I traced the wire from the pump to the switch (blue wire), so I am guessing that is it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2edgesword View Post
My guess would be that switch is for the water pump. The on demand means that if you have water in your fresh water tank and you're NOT hooked up to city water with the switch in the on position the pump will activate when you turn on a faucet or flush the toilet. The pump will continue to run until pressure builds in the line to whatever the pressure sensing switch is set to. If you have no water running and the pump continues to cycle off and on it means there is a leak somewhere in the system. The pump is activate by a pressure sensing switch. The water pump is probably located under the bench where the switch is located. Remove the cushion and the wood panel that supports it and my guess is the pump is under that panel.
I think you're right as well. I traced the wire and it runs to the pump. I don't have water in the tank, so when I did have power plugged in, and the switch was on, the pump would not run cause there was no pressure in the tank. Which is a good thing, it won't burn out if we accidentally turn it on.

Thanks!!
Old 07-08-2020, 06:36 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFlightRisk View Post
That's a very good question. I've looked at several ads for 2017 and 2018 10sd's for sale, and don't see a switch in the pictures. By your description, it's not the water pump. You may be able to find the pump, and follow the wires to a switch location.

A possible way to find out what that switch does, is to turn it on (on 12 volt power), and one at a time, pull the 12 volt fuses in the electrical panel, until the light goes out. Then see what that fuse is suppose to power. They should be labeled. Let us know what you find.

The fridge should cool down in 24 hours or a little less, depending on the outside temperature.
Thanks! I was worried about the fridge until I started reading everything I could about them. We're taking it out next weekend, so I'll make sure to plug it in the night before to get it cooled down.
Old 07-08-2020, 07:34 PM   #8

Newbie question, we are having trouble turning on our turning on our refrigerator to pre cool it with propane. Can anyone walk me through the process here. We turned on propane let it run then hit the power button and I made sure the mode was auto which allows the system to automatically detect the source of power and all it did was blink red, then the gas detector started beeping so we shut it all off. Cleared the rv and let it air out till the detector shut off. Then retried and the refrigerator would even turn on at all.
mmcotton is offline   Reply With Quote