Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-05-2011, 07:46 PM   #1

New to me 2001 Jayco 14 SO

Hi, I'm a newbie that just bought a pop up camper. Thought I could wing it but there is a lot I still haven't figured out before I go camping this Friday. I just figured out why the ceiling lights wouldn't work by browsing this forum...there was a loose wire on the switch that retracts when the roof is lifted...thank you for that. Had a RV detailer come in to clean up the place since it was sitting for a couple years but he stressed he could not remove mildew stains, etc. I was disappointed but bought some blue stuff with bleach...if you scrub hard enough the mildew/mold comes off. I hope i'm not permanatly damaging the tent. Going to continue cleaning tomorrow. At the rear of the camper where the slide out starts, up top there are staples that attach the tent to the roof. I have ants in there and every night they leave a substantial pile of what looks like cotton. I need to get this stopped. Any ideas?

I also found the fridge switch outside and saw a symbol for electric plug in (i'm connected to house right now) and turned from battery to that...it works great so far.

I hooked up the portable 3 burner stove to the outside of the camper and plugged the quick connect into it. No gas comes out. I have 2 tanks that are not full but they have gas because i hooked them up to my gas grill and it worked fine. Is there a master switch somewhere? Once i get that going i'm going to wait till I get camping where I'll meet my brothers camping friends to help me with heat and hot water.

I did setup the kitchen table...seems quite sturdy. I took it outside and it kinda fell apart. Seems there are some plastic bushings that connect to the legs and they disinegrated. Any idea how I can replace these?

Sorry for all the questions but I don't have anybody handy with this experience. Thx...

Bruce
Jayco_bruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 09:41 PM   #2

Wow Bruce... welcome to the Jayco Owners Forum! But I'm thinking you were brave to take on such a project with a used rv of *any* kind that needs that much work. When we bought our last tt, we looked at a few used rv's and realized it was more work than we wanted. Fortunately, we were able to buy new. I'm thinking we may need to make a new forum just for you to make the needed repairs.... jk! Good luck with your renovations and congrats on your "new" pop-up
Denise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 11:26 AM   #3

Being a new (new to me anyway) pup owner, I have some input!
The stove/gas issue- did you make sure the valve on the quick-connect was open? (Not the tank valve- there is a saftey valve on the quick connect itself, both interior and outside).
Ants- get your favorite flavor spray and have at it. The small liquid bait packs work well too- but be forwarned, you will see twice as many ants for several days (they all come out to eat!) before they all die. Be sure to spray around the tires and tounge jack too. Thats their only way in!
Mold and mildew- warm water, lysol or Mr. Clean (or similar product), in small amounts (diluted per instructions) and a bristle brush and and a little elbow grease work well. Rinse everything really well and dry throughly. If the mold/mildew is on the vinyl, a Mr. Clean magic eraser and water will remove it with ease.
Hope all this helps!

2009 JKU TV (Its a Jeep thing...you wouldn't understand!)
2000 Quest 8U PUP
Tyreguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 10:10 PM   #4

Thx for all the suggestions. I'll look around for gas valves. I got raid bomb for the ants. Hopefully tomorrow am i won't see any white particles.

Any suggestions for the table? Looks like i need replacement bushings but they don't look removable. Might need whole angled piece.

Bruce
Old 07-07-2011, 07:39 AM   #5

The saftey valves are a part of the quick connect. You should see a small brass arm attached to one half of the connector. Both the inside and outside stove connectors have them.

2000 Quest 8U PUP
Old 07-12-2011, 07:50 PM   #6

Well...i had my 1st outing this weekend. The kids didn't help one bit (12 year olds). Thanks to my brother who camped next to my site, we hooked up the water and electric. The fridge worked fine once again...We found the hot water heater and fired that up...nice to have the outside shower area. Found out kitchen sink drains out thru spicket, so attached a hose but there seems to be a delay before the water level goes down. I slightly lifted the sink to get air in and it went right down. Otherwise it will go down by itself in 5 - 10 secs. Any idea why it drains slow? I would have thought the kitchen sink would drain into grey water holding tank too...does anybody know if I should have that option?

Mold and mildew are cleaning up fine...I didn't have much time to clean. Had to take care of the boys...cooking, etc. And I needed time to relax but i feel I have the worse behind me and can now start enjoying the rig. A couple came in to look around...they were impressed with the size and options this camper has...jayco 14so. Pretty much loaded w/out air.

The weather was good so I hooked up the portable cooktop outside. It worked great. Found the valve...thx very much forum.

Don't laugh too hard but i found water in the cabin after a couple hours of hooking up to water. Apparently the inside shower was on and it filled the shower area up to the top of the figerglass. I had to use a bowl to scoop the water out. Why wasn't it draining down? Hmmmm. I did hookup to sewerage but i forgot to open the valve...wooosh...lol...live and learn :hihi:.

So i still need to learn the heater, and toilet. I assume the heater just goes on when thermostat is turned up...do I need to light a pilot like the water heater? Any tips on toilet cassstte? I assume it empties manually only?

My biggest question tonight is: How best to dry camp with what I got? another assumption, switch fridge to gas? Fill fresh water tank? Will it work for hot water to clean? What should I expect to work with 12 volt battery either from tow truck or deep cycle battery in front of trailer? Interior lights? Will 110 volt fan work?

Sorry for all the questions...i'm still very new but excited and want to learn to do it all with some class.

Bruce
Old 07-12-2011, 08:39 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Bruce,

Sounds like the PU didn't come with manuals. Give Jayco Customer Service a call (574-825-5861) and see if they will send you a set of manuals. Just have your PU VIN available when you contact Jayco. Just in case, have the manufacturer's name and model number handy of any appliances (furnace, etc.) you are having difficulty with.

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 02:21 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayco_bruce View Post
Found out kitchen sink drains out thru spicket, so attached a hose... I would have thought the kitchen sink would drain into grey water holding tank too...does anybody know if I should have that option?
I have that same outside drain on my 8U. It dosen't even have a place for a grey water tank underneath...so I made a drain hose that empties under the camper.

Grey water hitting the ground can be a serious issue depending on where you camp. Certain CG's really poo-poo on any waste water to hit the ground at all (watch out for the 'Green police'!)- and this can be a pyschological (if you're concerned about environmental impacts) and physical (obvious environmental hazards) issue with whatever goes down the drain and onto the ground.

If in doubt- use biodegradeable soap, and bring along a bucket.

2000 Quest 8U PUP