Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-02-2019, 10:34 AM   #1

New (to us) 1006 Deluxe

Hello, all.

We just picked up a 1987 1006 Deluxe. It is actually in decent shape. Of course as old as it is, there is some work to be done.

It appears this one had a fresh water tank on the right side of the camper. There is a hose that runs from the right set of cabinets to the left (along with the lift cables) and into the cabinetry where the sink is. The odd thing is, there is no fill "hole" on the right, or the left side of the camper. Does anyone have any idea how this setup worked?

I would also like to find a part number for the original tail lights for this unit. Someone replaced them with rectangle lights, thus exposing the shape of the old slightly rounded at the top and bottom tail lights. (where they used to be) - If that makes any sense to anyone
OBXJeepGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 12:08 PM   #2

Welcome!

The water tank is usually under one of the benches of the dinette. There should be a removable panel under the cushions. If it's there you'll be able to see the fill tube easily.

Those tail lights were off the shelf generic items that most likely are not made anymore. All you can do is look around for something that might fit or paint around the existing ones to make them look like they belong. A good source for things like this is Eastern Marine. Good prices and a pretty wide variety of choices.

Have fun!
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 12:29 PM   #3

Hello to you and welcome to the forum.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 01:05 PM   #4

Thanks for the replies!

What I meant by fill tube, was there is no *external* fill cup, or whatever it is called. There is a city water connection, and an outlet for the sink drain.

It would make more sense to have it under the benches closer to the sink as DocBrown mentioned. I may just got that route.

You can definitely see where the freshwater tank was somewhere on the door side just inside to the right. (close to the lift winch) There's a nasty tube that runs from there to the hand pump on the sink.

This camper also came with no heat, or fridge. Just an ice box for which the door is long gone. We are thinking about going with a compressor type dorm fridge in that spot.

I had a feeling about the tail lights. I guess I will just have to clean it up where the lights are.
Old 08-02-2019, 01:29 PM   #5

You are saying there is no water tank? Measure the space where it was. I'm sure you can find one that will fit. They are typically 20 gallon or so tanks. I'm thinking if someone removed the tank they put something over the the hole where the fill tube was. Does it look like there is anything on the outside that could be covering it?
Old 08-02-2019, 02:12 PM   #6

Correct. Currently, there is no tank.

It appears there was a tank on the right side close to the front where the lift winch is. There is a hose going into that storage compartment that just stops there. The hose appears to be factory made, and laid along with the lift cables going from front right, to front left where the sink is. There is no external filler neck, nor is there evidence of one ever being there. It seems really odd. I will have to post some pictures as soon as I can get some. Whatever it was, it couldn't have been very big.
Old 08-02-2019, 03:05 PM   #7

Well, in '87 being a small pop-up it could have been as small as 8 or 10 gal. We had a '93 1208 and I think it may have been 15 gal.

You really have your work cut out for you!
Old 08-03-2019, 06:27 AM   #8

Welcome from York County, South Carolina!

2011 Jayflight X213
2011 GMC Sierra Crew Cab
fochman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 09:46 PM   #9

We purchased a 1006 in 1993. Still have it. It came with the 5 gal water jug that was under one of the cabinets. The water container has to removed and filled by hand. Then you pump the water out by using and pump motion on the sink water valve. Or if your connected to city water you just push down on the same handle for water.

We never used the water container. I was told the plastic hose between the tank and the faucet will get mold in it over time and needs to be replaced when it does. I just used the tank as a water bottle when we were not on hookups.

We still have that TT. Lots of memories. Can't seem to sell it even though we have a new 5th wheel. The lift system broke a few years ago and Jayco Customer service could not believe we still owned it since the lift system is life time warranted to the original purchaser. Said it was un heard of that some one would own one for 25 year.

Any way keep an eye on the hose in between. Easily purchased at any home supply store.

If the women don't find you handsome, they shoud at least find you handy!

Mark and Debi
Bountiful, UT
2019 Jayco Eagle HT 25.5 REOK
2017 F250 Power Stroke XL Standard Cab Long Bed
Madwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 04:42 AM   #10

The hose between where the tank was, and the galley pump is definitely black with mold, and who knows what. I think we are just going to run the sink if we happen to be on city water.

Just rebuilt the roof over the weekend. All 4 sides of it. The top was fine. Also found out why it won’t close all the way. One of the cables snapped, and when the PO repaired it, it came up short. I’m thinking of just replacing all 4 cables, and not have to worry later.
Old 08-18-2019, 07:07 PM   #11

Finally got the roof completed, and changed all four lift cables. The cable swap was WAY easier than I expected.