Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-26-2015, 06:25 PM   #1

new to us 2011 baja questions

I am having some issues I think I am going to take back to the scumbum dealer we got it from but I am hesitant because why would I want them working on my trailer possibly doing the same shady crap again? but #1 problem, when walking around the trailer showing me how to do what and when stuff before leaving the dealer. they showed me the volt meter and told me the battery was good because it had 13.6? volts. well after we leave and I think about it the trailer was plugged in at the dealer..... I get it home and of course want to pop it up and play with everything, well it wont pop up(power lift). i call the dealer the next day and ask why that might be. He says to go to the parts place and get an adapter to plug from house to trailer and charge up the battery so i do, i leave it plugged in from noon friday to saturday morning. I go out unplug the cord and it goes up about 2 inches and stops. I call the dealer again and they say my battery may be dead. so I run to the parts place again(a closer dealer with more selection) and get a battery, install it, Boom it works like a champ. Problem #2. when leaving the dealer they check my brake lights and all that for me, we check brakes "oh your passenger side isnt working try your signals" passenger side still doesnt light up. He pops the cover i hear him messing around, he said he flipped the bulb "they had it in the high position" and it works now, ok great so i get it home and saturday we go for a overnight shake down and i find out the passenger side bulb still isnt working, I take the driver side bulb that works fine and put it in the passenger socket, no worky. so the socket somehow doesnt have power. Let me hear your advice, opinions, hopefully not too harsh. remember I am a newbie and was too excited to pay attention to small details I feel stupid for not noticing them when at the dealer. So do I take it back and let them figure out the wiring and reimburse me for the battery? or just take it to another dealer? or does anyone have some tips and tricks for me? Also when packing up the campsite earlier today we were playing the radio, so i know the battery isnt 100% dead, i turn off the radio and get ready to lower the roof so i plug in the trailer to the truck and start the truck hoping to not ruin the new battery I just bought(ya know charge the battery a bit off the truck while using the lift motor) and go back the trailer, nothing, no lift motor, no radio, no outside lights. so I go back to the truck unplug, plug back in the trailer wiring, nothing. so for some reason i come up with the idea to go turn the headlights on in the truck to see if running lights work on the trailer and they do, so i turn off the truck lights, leaving the truck run and now everything works??? WTF? can anyone help with that?

Thanks so much for trying to read that and helping me out.

Newbie Jeff
astrnaughtwanabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 06:54 PM   #2

Is there corrosion in light socket? Do you have 2 wires coming off your negative battery cable? On should be grounded to chassis on tongue and the other should go to interior of camper. Check to be sure there is no corrosion in your truck and trailer plug get so dielectric grease to put in the plug every time you use it also don't be afraid to put some on bulb. I know my camper will run off truck battery when hooked up if you have a bad connection in wire harness to truck that would explain your camper non responsive when you hooked it up to truck. You can get a new plug (Harness at walmart or any wholesale place cheap. but you should def. go to stealer and have them check it since you just got it.
CentralNH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 08:53 PM   #3

I have one wire coming off the negative side of the battery and it is grounded to the chassis and there is a ground coming from the trailer plug to the truck that is sharing the same grounding point on the tounge. there is a white and black wire coming out of the trailer wiring loom that are joined together that is just wrapped around part of the tounge with no destination. Also no corrosion in the taillight socket. I hate taking it to the same dealer that tried pulling used car lot BS. I appreciate the help

Jeff
astrnaughtwanabe is offline   Reply With Quote