Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Go Back   Jayco RV Owners Forum > Trailers, 5th Wheels, and Motorhomes > Jayco Pop Up Campers
Click Here to Login

Old 07-20-2014, 08:07 AM   #1

Newbie. Air Conditioning Purchase/Install Suggestions. Any other mod suggestions

Hi everyone, we just bought our first camper...a Jayco Baja 10y and we are super stoked! The man however, is bummed that it does not have an A/C unit so I told him that since he bought the Pop Up, I will buy the A/C. Couple problems....I dont even know where to start. I googled some but WOW they are expensive therefore I have a couple questions.

1: Is it necessary to purchase an $800 unit vs a $300? We live in Texas so it is pretty hot. We like to camp down the seashore hence the Baja version.

2: Do you have any suggestions on which unit to purchase?

3: Does the Baja 10y come with pre-drilled area to install an A/C? (We don't get it for another 2 weeks, a family member is driving it down from Wisconsin)

4: Are these things hard to install? Anything that I may not be thinking about or considering when buying or installing?

5: Any input you have at all for suggestions and mods to the Baja you feel is necessary for any energy conservation, comfort, etc.

6: We can plug these things into camp sites that offer electric correct? Or is this not available on all campers?

7:Our vehicles are a 2014 Toyota Baja and a 2007 Nissan Xterra. Both of which should pull this thing just fine, correct?

8: I know this is the off road edition which we purchased on purpose to be able to Shark fish the national seashore however, how is the ride on long trips on regular roads?

Thank you for your input! I cant wait to get this thing!!!!!

-Terri
werleyr20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 11:34 AM   #2

Hi don't have a popup but did have one year's ago the larger the unit on air the better remember that you are basically cooling a tent. I would also suggest that you look into purchasing some Pop up gizmos they help out a lot on reflecting the sun light and cooling down the camper. You vehicles should be finely to pull with and yes you will weather have to plug into a 20 amp or more electrical system or have and adequate generator to run the air . As far as installing, you can call jayco and they will send you the specs on the roof I was going to install mine myself but decided that cutting through the roof and installing the extra bracing was a bit scary so I let a rv shop do the work in the end it wasn't all that more expensive. Good luck welcome to the fourm and have a great time
outofhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 11:46 AM   #3

Camping world frequently has " install " specials, where for $30 or $40 they will install a part purchased from them.

Downside is that appointments may be weeks out

2014 Eagle 30.5 RLS
2015 Dodge 3500HD SRW 6.7L
Click on my profile for Mods and notes
Jmooney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 12:32 PM   #4

We purchased a new PUP without A/C 12 yrs ago and after the first summer purchased an new A/C unit online and had the dealer install it for us. It did cost us 1 hour of service time. The roof had the supports for it with a small sticker on the inside. It was a carrier air V 13,500 unit non ducted unit. Worked great even in our AZ heat. Still was going strong 10 yrs later. Carrier no longer makes RV A/C units.

I did see Dometic and Coleman both have them. They also offer a low profile units. We have a non ducted Coleman in our bedroom now and it will freeze you out.
If you purchase online you will need the rooftop A/C and inside ceiling mount that has all your controls on it.

You will need to check to see if your unit is prewired for A/C 20 amp otherwise you will have to run the unit on a separate plug. Not a big deal if you have to do it that way.

Check out this site seems to have some good pricing.

http://www.rvpartscountry.com/Dometi...13500-BTU.html
2011 Jayco Jay Flight 26RLS-Sold
2014 Jayco Eagle 298 RLDS
maromeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 02:00 PM   #5

Thank you so much for your posts!!!
So some of the units actually have ducts? Its that for the big RV's? I really appreciate the extra info you gave. I would never have thought of that or some of the other stuff when shopping for one!
Will I be able to tell if the roof has supports for it or are they hidden?
Also, if the unit is not pre-wired for the A/C and I have to use a seperate plug, will that still work with a generator. LOL sorry, electrical is not my thing. I dont even know how to run the camper on a generator or plug it in yet much less how to get rid of the waste water or anything else. Should be quite the adventure

Ryan & Terri
Old 07-20-2014, 02:56 PM   #6

Coleman makes a great unit 13500 and runs around $700 i would just put it on your self its that easy
bailee21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 04:13 PM   #7

Awesome! Ill look into it right now

Ryan & Terri
Old 07-20-2014, 05:11 PM   #8

What do you think of this AC? Scratch and Dent. No Returns

Hey thanks for info. We have a generator that is 4000 watts. Its an off brand but I am hoping it works for a while at least. What do you think about this A/C unit? Its a scratch and dent making it half the cost.

http://www.rvpartscountry.com/Dometi...-SD.html#tab-1

Its states this so this must be something that I have to order separately? (see below)

Control Options

Dometic Brisk Air units allow use of analog thermostats, or the new Duo-Therm Comfort Control Center based on manufacturer's application.

Is there anything else that I would need to purchase for the install of this?

Ryan & Terri
Old 07-20-2014, 07:22 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by werleyr20 View Post
Hey thanks for info. We have a generator that is 4000 watts. Its an off brand but I am hoping it works for a while at least. What do you think about this A/C unit? Its a scratch and dent making it half the cost.

http://www.rvpartscountry.com/Dometi...-SD.html#tab-1

Its states this so this must be something that I have to order separately? (see below)

Control Options

Dometic Brisk Air units allow use of analog thermostats, or the new Duo-Therm Comfort Control Center based on manufacturer's application.

Is there anything else that I would need to purchase for the install of this?
For the pop up you also need this
http://www.rvpartscountry.com/Dometi...-Assembly.html

Tags
a/c, air conditioner, baja edition, electrical system, mods