Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-22-2012, 08:35 PM   #1

Newbie pop up owner needing help ASAP!!

Hello all,
I hope someone can help me...
I bought a new (to me and the family) 1998 Eagle pop up last month. We took it camping about 2 weeks ago for the first time, excited to get it up and going to be bummed out to find out the electricity was not working. I know it worked the night before when I had it plugged into the house through an ext cord, however when we got to the site nothing. We came home, I plugged it in again and whala, it worked. Just now I tried to turn on the lights without it being plugged in (running off of the marine deep cycle) and again, nothing. I know the battery is good, I took it to a auto store today and they tested it, and it was perfect... can someone help me? Since it gets electricity when pluged in from house but not off the RV battery or when hooked up to my truck, does this mean my converter is bad? I checked all the fuses and they were all fine.... any advise will help

thanks
Chris
cg4299 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 05:33 AM   #2

If you have lights when you are plugged in to 110VAC then your converter is OK. If your battery is charged the most likely cause would be a blown fuse. You say you have checked them. However, be aware there are 3 fuses that need to be checked. One should be in-line near the battery. 2 will be found in the converter. one is the main battery fuse and the other is a reverse polarity protection fuse.

Eliminating all of those possibilities leaves only tracing the wires and locate the bad connection.

EDUCATION is what you get when you read the fine print.....
EXPERIENCE is what you get when you don't.
tnchuck100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 08:55 PM   #3

cg4299... I camped in a friends back yard once and had the same problem. I checked everything possible and could not figure out what the problem was. My pop-up at the time was also a 1998 and when I got home I realized there was a safety button under the counter top that cut the electricity off when the counter was flipped in the close position. Although the counter was flipped the metal bracket the button was attached too had bent and never activated when the counter was flipped up. The newer models have the button on the hard-top I believe and when you crank the top down it cuts the power off. Its a safety feature so the power will not remain on when you close up. Find where your button is and make sure it's not sticking. I hope your problem is as simple as mine was. Jay
jdorant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 09:03 PM   #4

jdorant, the problem you are describing would be present on BOTH shore power AND battery. cg4299 indicates shore power is working.

EDUCATION is what you get when you read the fine print.....
EXPERIENCE is what you get when you don't.
tnchuck100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 09:15 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnchuck100 View Post
jdorant, the problem you are describing would be present on BOTH shore power AND battery. cg4299 indicates shore power is working.
Hmm... my pup didn't have a battery but, he mentions from one place it works then it doesn't then it does. If there is a sticky button, could be activating sometimes and just coincidence it works on shore not battery?? Just a thought and worth checking out in case it is just that simple. One never knows.
jdorant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 08:06 AM   #6

cg4229--My 2002 pup had a safety switch just up under the drivers side rear corner of the roof that would prevent to lights coming on when in the closed position. That would get stuck when the roof was in the open position. Larry
Old 06-24-2012, 09:26 AM   #7

You also want to check the ground wire from the battery. Check the clamp at the battery as well as where the ground wire attaches to the frame.
Added Bedroom light switch and outlet https://www.jaycoowners.com/showthread.php?t=7582
dlfeather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 12:18 PM   #8

Hello!

I also have a 98 Eagle and have this issue. No battery power but works great when plugged in. I changed all the fuses in the converter and found an inline fuse in the harness near the battery.

1. Where is the third fuse that was mentioned? I think I saw somewhere else online that there is a glass fuse mounted behind the panel.
2. Can someone verify the amperage rating of the inline fuse near the battery? I believe it is 30amp but not sure.

About the roof mounted cut off switch. I have found that mine is a little finicky at times also. This can always be fixed with a firm "bonk" with the side of a closed fist on the roof in the middle of the slide-out dinette from the inside. It's not a fix, but I am going to do it until it doesn't work and then I will know what I have to do to fix it. If you are experiencing a similar issue with your cut off switch, I would try this also. Sorry if any of my questions are answered in the owners manual. I have read the section on battery power a few times but it is very vague and doesn't really answer my questions above. Thanks in advance!
98eagle12SO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 01:02 PM   #9

One thing also to check when you are at the CGs is the circuit breaker on the power post. I always turn off the breaker before I plug in, and then flip the breaker on. I do the reverse when I unplug. I also always leave the breaker off when I leave, as most of the time the breaker is off when I arrive.

Having the breaker off can help prevent any surging if you have a problem plugging in.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 02:14 PM   #10

I had a similar problem when my unit was brand new. Worked great on shore power but not on battery. Found the inline fuse on the battery was loose. I just tightened the connection between the fuze and the plug and all is well.

2022 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 LTZ Crew Cab 3.0L Duramax 4WD
2019 Jayco Jay Flight SLX 298BH
2013 Jayco Jay 1206 (Sold)
Scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 07:11 PM   #11

My inline fuse is 30 Amps