Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-12-2021, 07:13 PM   #1

Nice surprise: the fridge WORKS!!

We bought our Jayco last Friday, and the seller told us he could not get the fridge to work. Today, I decided to tinker with it. I hooked it up to a plug from inside the house, put a cup of cold water in the fridge, and waited. I noticed after about 30 min that the air vent above the fridge control panel was starting to push out very warm air. That told me that the fridge was doing something, and wasn't dead. After about 2 hrs, I noticed the fridge getting colder inside! After about 3 hrs, I plugged the fridge into its designated outlet in the camper, and hooked the main power cable to the extension cord from the garage. The fridge continued to stay cold..

The only things that I can think of that the prior owner got wrong were:

1. Maybe he was using the propane, or DC, option?
2. I noticed that the thermostat has to be pushed in before it can be adjusted. Maybe he did not know that?

As far as I know, he did not have an owners manual either. All odd but I'm very happy it works!!
notherone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2021, 08:03 PM   #2

That is great news. Hopefully you got a good privebteak because of it.

RV frigerators cool off slowly. Many people add a small fridge fan.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2021, 06:46 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagiven View Post
That is great news. Hopefully you got a good privebteak because of it.

RV frigerators cool off slowly. Many people add a small fridge fan.
The seller wanted $3850 and we got it for $3600. It's tagged until 2023, and included a microwave, mini heater, tarps, utensils, and now we know that the fridge works, so I think we made out well.

I have seen the update using the muffin fan, but I don't know if I want to punch holes in the thing or not. It also has no light to tap into.
Old 05-13-2021, 05:55 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by notherone View Post
The seller wanted $3850 and we got it for $3600. It's tagged until 2023, and included a microwave, mini heater, tarps, utensils, and now we know that the fridge works, so I think we made out well.

I have seen the update using the muffin fan, but I don't know if I want to punch holes in the thing or not. It also has no light to tap into.

Another option for a fan is to install an exhaust fan to help the airflow over the condensing coils in the rear of the fridge. I installed one by just screwing it into the wooden frame to expel hot air out of the upper exhaust vent. Tapped power off of the 12v line for the fridge with a switch attached to the corner at the lower access panel/vent. It definitely helps with air flow but i couldn't tell if it helped with cooling off faster. your mileage may vary.
internalvoice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2021, 06:31 PM   #5

Thank you for the tip!