Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-31-2015, 07:45 AM   #11

And yes you would have to remove the furnace to get to them. You say you have the installation manual if so see if it has the wiring diagram in it. If it does you will see the sail switch and high limit and the they are wired in series with the gas valve. If you don't have the wiring diagram send me a PM with your e-mail address and I will send you a copy.

bedrck46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 07:50 AM   #12

Thanks bedrck. I'll head out to the camper here shortly and see if there is a wiring diagram in the packet of papers I have for the camper. I am pretty sure the installation manual is in the packet. We've been working with everything (literally) in this camper, so it's hard to remember what papers are there. Fortunately, this is the ONE system that we don't *really* need for the next couple weeks, so the repair can wait for a while if need be.

outrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 08:20 AM   #13

After the blower on the furnace has been running for 30 seconds do you hear a clicking? that is the sparker trying to ignite if you hear that then there are several other possibilities. 1) the sparker is out of adjustment and too far from the gas. 2) the thermocouple is defective and needs replacing 3) blocked burner tube from spiders..
215/2016, 211/2015, 196/14, 247/13, 193/12

Seann45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 08:50 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by outrider View Post
Would be awfully nice to be able to have a little clock and/or a night light at the very least.
I keep reminding myself, that is why we've got an RV, we're willing to rough it and I can't expect all the luxuries of home all the time. We actually like to camp w/out any hook-ups - we do have generators to keep the battery charged. Here are some solutions ~ you just have to adjust to a "new normal":
~ Clock? Check out this battery clock - it is great in the TT. For a nightlight, check-out emergency power failure lights that go on when the outlet power is off. In our case, the blue light from the entertainment center is sufficient!
~ Toaster? How about the old tried-and-true cooktop/campfire toaster - works in a pinch. Alternatively, you can toast/grill bread in a fry pan. Even fancier, cut a hole in it for your egg!
~ Hair-dryer? Go natural (tough for me to do - got curly hair that never behaves) or get a 12-volt cigarette-plug dryer to run off your vehicle battery or get a "75W Power Inverter DC 12V to 110V AC Car Inverter DC Adapter Car Cigarette Lighter with AC Outlet" so you can use your current dryer.

Genealogy Community Social Group Moderator
Hattie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 08:51 AM   #15

outrider

Sent you a PM
bedrck46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 06:55 AM   #16

Hattie,

Thanks for the info. Can't do toast over a campfire...no campfire! We are not going to be at a campground. We're using the camper as lodging at a sporting event that we are both involved in. "Camp" is made at the venue where the event takes place. It is not a place that camping normally takes place, but they set aside an area for participants to "squat" while there for the match. Totally dry camping, no holes, no hookups, no fires. We're essentially in the middle of a field.

I'll check into the other things though. I can keep a little flashlight next to the bed I guess and turn it on when I need to get up during the night. I don't like turning on bright lights in the middle of the night, as I don't get back to sleep very easily if I do. Our little LED flashlight should be plenty of light for the "midnight trip". LOL!

....my hair doesn't "go natural" without looking positively HORRIBLE (and I'm not overly vain). I need to do something with the bangs at the very least, because they have a total mind of their own. I can probably go to the clubhouse and take care of the hair. Was just hoping to not have to, as it's quite a ways away from where the camper will be. We actually do have a power inverter, but I don't think it's enough to run a hair dryer. Tried to use a pump to blow up air mattresses last year when we were tent camping and even that wouldn't work.

As far as adjusting to a "new normal". I'm totally ok with having to do without. The pop up is a HUGE step up from the tent camping that I normally do. I mean, a fridge? Heat? Running water? Not having to zip the door closed when I make the "midnight run" to the porta john? Heck.... not having to go OUT to make the "midnight run"? I'll manage!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hattie View Post
I keep reminding myself, that is why we've got an RV, we're willing to rough it and I can't expect all the luxuries of home all the time. We actually like to camp w/out any hook-ups - we do have generators to keep the battery charged. Here are some solutions ~ you just have to adjust to a "new normal":
~ Clock? Check out this battery clock - it is great in the TT. For a nightlight, check-out emergency power failure lights that go on when the outlet power is off. In our case, the blue light from the entertainment center is sufficient!
~ Toaster? How about the old tried-and-true cooktop/campfire toaster - works in a pinch. Alternatively, you can toast/grill bread in a fry pan. Even fancier, cut a hole in it for your egg!
~ Hair-dryer? Go natural (tough for me to do - got curly hair that never behaves) or get a 12-volt cigarette-plug dryer to run off your vehicle battery or get a "75W Power Inverter DC 12V to 110V AC Car Inverter DC Adapter Car Cigarette Lighter with AC Outlet" so you can use your current dryer.
Old 09-23-2015, 12:47 PM   #17

Ok, we pulled the entire unit. Pulled the squirrel cage out and gave that a good cleaning. It wasn't very dirty, just a few small clumps of dust stuck to the very edge of the blades. It's all clean now. We found the sail switch. Pulled it out and did a continuity test on it and it passed when closed (button depressed by sail). Next step after cleaning everything else we could reach on the outside we bypassed the sail switch by jumping a wire between the two contacts that connect to it. We do not have the unit installed and hooked up to gas at this point, so not sure if we should be expecting to hear clicking or not. There isn't any though. The on/off switch, I am assuming that should cut power to the entire unit if flipped to the off position when it's running, correct? As in an emergency cut off? I flipped it while it was running and the blower continued to turn. So what is next to try here? We'd really love to have the heater working! When this is in operational condition, does it blow very little or should we be expecting a good amount of air to come through? Right now, it's not more than what there'd be if you exhaled after a deep breath.
Old 09-23-2015, 01:53 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by outrider View Post
...snip.. When this is in operational condition, does it blow very little or should we be expecting a good amount of air to come through? Right now, it's not more than what there'd be if you exhaled after a deep breath.
The air flow should be fairly strong. A piece of paper held from the top edge should blow to almost straight out.

Did you have a chance to observe the fan motor running while it was disassembled? Its a fairly high-speed motor. If it is laboring, the motor or bearing are bad. Or the squirrel cage is binding.

Sitting in The Cheap Seats.
And proud of it!
mike837go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 02:26 PM   #19

We ran the fan motor while it was completely out of housing. We're definitely not getting much air movement, as you say, enough to hold a piece of paper out. It didn't seem to be laboring or making any unusual noises. However, if you push the sail switch in so it's making contact, shouldn't it try to ignite? We're not hearing any clicking or anything. Just the whir of the motor.
Old 09-23-2015, 02:32 PM   #20

...and it is still partially disassembled and out of the cabinet. If anyone has some thoughts on what to test (and how), that would be great!