Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-10-2014, 01:46 PM   #1

OEM roof rack info - '93 popup

Hey All,

I acquired a '93 Jayco Eagle 8SD over the summer, and so far have searched (unsuccessfully) for any information on the stock roof rack system that these trailers had. I currently have (4) brackets on my roof, but no cross-pieces, which the P.O. said that they have misplaced. But they told me that years ago they had carried bicycles and a canoe up there on the racks at various times.

I am wondering if anyone happens to have any information as to what the rest of the rack system might have looked like, to aid my search for either a replacement, or something that I could fashion to work with what I am guessing are stock rack mount pieces that I have in place. My brackets are maybe a couple inches wide, and nend flat abount4" above the roof. The flat part has bolt-holes, (1) each bracket. Speculation is that some sort of horizontal member would have bolted to each of the flat parts to span the width of the trailer.

If anyone has any information that might be helpful, I would appreciate you sharing. Thanks!
TDS-MN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 06:04 PM   #2

actually... I believe I have a pic at work.. I may even have the original rack in the shop. I have to run back in tomorrow.. that ok?
John LLRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 06:32 AM   #3

Woul dbe great to see what you might have that could help me figure out what I need to get my rack assembly back to something use-able, whenever you can get to it. Thanks for the reply!
Old 01-13-2014, 08:14 AM   #4

This is what I have in the shop. Second pic is of the mounting system. I can do some snooping around as well.

John
Attached Thumbnails
DSCN0669.JPG   DSCN0670.JPG  
Old 01-13-2014, 09:23 AM   #5

John,

Thanks for sharing what you have. I guess that what I have must NOT be original Jayco equipment in that case, my roof brackets are significantly different in design than what you show in your picture. The point of attachemnt looks to be similar, but that is about it. I did get a small box of nylon straps and buckles that I found inside the trailer, which would seem to serve a similar function to the straps shown in your first picture.

I guess I will maybe need to look at ways that I could fabricate something that I could attach to my brackets, and build up from there.

Thanks again for taking the time to show my what your system looked like.
Old 01-13-2014, 11:31 AM   #6

Depending on what you have for brackets you might find that Yakima or Thule rack parts might fit and they have long crossbars as well.
2004 Dodge 2500 CTD
Old Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 01:12 PM   #7

Well.. the system in my shop here has conflicting stories.. 2 techs say its original Jayco, 2 don't... Old Blue is dead on as well.. long track bike racks SHOULD work too, and they will be new systems, so parts should not be a problem.
Old 01-13-2014, 02:40 PM   #8

My brackets look like an upside-down "L", with the long leg attached to the side of the roof assembly. Maybe 3" wide at most, with a hole in the short leg, which is horizontal, that a cross-bar would likely attach to. I was going to look further into what is available retail from one of the major manufacturers, or explore what a couple lengths of uni-strut might do for me, to see how much that might deflect under a load.

My initial reaction to the photo you posted was surprise that the rack would have it's own 'name' sticker on it if it were a Jayco part. But I am definitely no authority on them.

I appreciate the responses from you both.
Old 01-16-2014, 03:39 PM   #9

Found this on an unrelated search...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ProRac-T-Slo...546d12&vxp=mtr