Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-25-2018, 08:25 AM   #1

Outside Shower Box/Faucet replace upgrade

Hello and thanks,
I want to replace my Outside Shower faucet/box. There is a small drip coming from it and the latch slot for the cover to latch into is tore up so it is a sloppy loose fit when shut. I see a couple of challenges:
-The box/faucet assemblies I see on line have the faucet mounted into the back wall, mine is mounted on the bottom of the box (see pic)
-The box is mounted to the PU with, what looks like, hefty aluminum rivets.

Typically I would simply drill these rivets out and replace, but these are pretty large, I do not see where drilling them out will be easy and I a standard rivet gun probably would not work on this size rivets.
What do you suggest concerning these 2 issues?
And is there an upgrade to this system?
ps the box measures 14.25" x 9.5"
thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Outside Shower.jpg  
bmadams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2018, 01:02 PM   #2

Ford used similar rivets to hold window regulators in and to remove them we use a punch to remove the center pin and then a drill, just enough for the cap to pop off. But not sure if the side of the camper is solid enough to take the hammer and punch? The one on my 2017 12UD is about 13 x 8 1/2 OA. so it is quite a bit smaller.
Jeff in NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2018, 09:44 PM   #3

Well, if you want to remove it then the rivets must come out. Once it’s out you can decide how to proceed...as in new rivets or screws. Regarding replacement, Google is your friend. Etrailer may have something too. You could also cover the hole and start over so to speak.
You NEED the actual CUT OUT HOLE size not what you have now. So remove it first, then address needs based on hole size and what is available. You can always cut the hole bigger or build up to be smaller as needed.
Old 08-31-2018, 06:03 AM   #4

THANKS, and update. I have decided to leave the box and fix the top "latch" area with fiberglass. I can build that area up and re cut the slot where the latch secures it and it will be better, and last longer then a new one. I would like to replaced the faucet with a new 'pretty' one. I am "assuming" I can get to it from the inside under the seat once I remove the plywood that looks to be over it. From what I have seen online, it installs very much like a house faucet...just has the adapter for the "hand held" shower head.
Old 08-31-2018, 06:08 AM   #5

Jeff, thanks...those rivets!! you have brought back bad memories..Mercedes also uses similar "hefty: rivets like these, which I have changed...the problem was that they were next to impossible to set with a hand held rivet tool!! I assume they use a hydrolic(sp_ tool in manufacturing. Also, yes, how they look to me is that a punch would be preferred to remove..but the walls seem way to flimsy to be able to do this, so I would try a drill first...so I am going to just leave the box and repair the top portion where the latch catches..thanks again.

Tags
heritage, outside shower