Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-04-2017, 02:21 PM   #1

Part re-flooring an older Jayco - do side walls need removed

I've an 86 Jayco, not sure of the exact model, that has gone from a simple "needs a cable replaced" to having a complete new roof built and a new interior.

Whilst the interior is out I've been able to have a proper look at the floor and most is fine except for where the winch sits which isn't too clever, which is perhaps why the winch is offset a little for the winder.

So i'd like to replace the floor, or at least the front section of it that the winch sits on.

Does anyone know if its possible to replace part of the floor without removing the side walls of the trailer?

This is what it looked like set up, if anyone knows what the actual Jayco model name is that would be great, thanks

smartecosse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 02:44 PM   #2

Take a look on Youtube, there are a few videos about this repair. One doesn't show to much detail but it looks like he got the rotted floor out from under the front and side wall and slid a patch back in. You will probably need a sawzall to cut any fasteners which hold the wall to the floor.
Sundancer330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 12:48 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancer330 View Post
Take a look on Youtube, there are a few videos about this repair. One doesn't show to much detail but it looks like he got the rotted floor out from under the front and side wall and slid a patch back in. You will probably need a sawzall to cut any fasteners which hold the wall to the floor.
Had a search on you tube but couldn't seem to find one showing the repair with the sidewall in place......don't suppose you have a link for it?

thanks
Old 04-07-2017, 02:30 PM   #4

Sounds like you are still trying to sleuth out which Jayco base model this Conway was built on. If you take a look at 1986 Jayco Price, 1986 Jayco Values & 1986 Jayco Specs | NADAguides you will see a fairly comprehensive list of the Jayco Camping Trailer (popup) models for that year. Further narrow it down by the length of your trailer (I am guessing they are listing total length, not box length) - from the picture it looks to be about 14' so would leave you with 6 possibles. Now do a quick google search for the remaining possible matches and look at the pictures - this will usually give you a floorplan and interior images that you can match against your own; use some caution, and click through the links to confirm as there will be a lot of pictures of near matches as well. By process of elimination you'll probably come up with the right one. From the half I can see, the configuration of the dinette, kitchen cabinet and door side cabinet looks like a Jayco 1007, but that model wasn't in the lineup yet in '86.

As far as the wall goes, I would think it should be doable without completely removing the walls but have I never done that with a trailer (I have done it with a garden shed, similar but not the same). I would want to be sure to cut at a cross member so my patch had a good support on 1 edge at least. If you cut away any attachments of the wall to the floor in the patch area, and a little beyond, and then drive a couple of wedges under the wall on the good side of the cut, you should be able to lift the wall just enough to slide the old piece out, and slide a new Dutchman in.
ETA: I'd probably use something more "subtle" than my reciprocating saw to cut away the wall attachments so as not to damage the exterior surface, probably my multi-tool would do https://www.ryobitools.com/power-too...ool-attachment
Certainly worth a try now that you are so far into the project!

Good luck with this!
bankr63 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 01:44 PM   #5

Thanks for that.........still can't work out what model it is though.

Had a good look at the side wall and as it turns out it was rotten at the front corner so I ended up removing it - which was a 2 hour job to take out all the rusted staples!!

Cut a rough slice out the floor today and will get a more accurate cutout completed at the next session.