Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-27-2014, 03:51 PM   #1

Piano Hinge on Storage Lids

Is anyone else annoyed by having to remove the lids from the storage bins and then stacking those + the cushions while loading/unloading?

I've been thinking about adding a continuous (piano) hinge on the back edge of the storage bin lids and then some sort of a rod to prop the lid up while loading and unloading.

Seems like a simple fix, but I'm wondering what I'm missing since Jayco doesn't do this and I've not seen any mods in this forum that talk about it. Had our popup Jayco Jay Series 1007 for less than a year. Still learning.

Any thoughts?
flamingo8228 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 05:15 PM   #2

im planning on doing this soon to my New 2014 1207 i can post pics when im done .... its easy i dont go all the way across with the hinge but its a big difference when you have something holding up the lid and i will put a small wood bar to hold the lid up as well ... the wife loves this when she is trying to get her cooking pots and stuff
bailee21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 05:22 PM   #3

Flamingo

that is a good idea but you definately need something to prop it up
2006 JAYCO JAY FEATHER 23B EXP
EQUILIZER HITCH
Kellys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 05:43 PM   #4

The lids on our 2003 Qwest 10x are hinged. I don't know if it's factory, or if the previous owner installed them. We still have to stack the cushions off to the side, but, the lids open far enough back to just prop them against the outside walls of the camper. We've previously owned an early 80's Coleman, and, an early 2000's Viking, both of which came with hinged lids as well.

David
astrowolf67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 08:09 PM   #5

Flamingo, we had a 1007, new from the factory with the same issue. I installed piano hinges and hinged prop rods on all the storage lids. I also put metal grommets in the finger holes. Made life a lot easier!
Old 05-12-2022, 11:47 AM   #6

Exterior front storage

The long hinge on our 2001 Jayco Pop up camper exterior front storage has come loose.All the screws came out.
How do I reinstall the long hinge.
I cannot get any screws to stay in the holes much less reach the screw holes?
Can I install the hinge on the top instead underneath the lid?
Ellen K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2022, 12:32 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellen K View Post
The long hinge on our 2001 Jayco Pop up camper exterior front storage has come loose.All the screws came out.
How do I reinstall the long hinge.
I cannot get any screws to stay in the holes much less reach the screw holes?
Can I install the hinge on the top instead underneath the lid?
Starting a new post might get you more replies, as many individuals may look at the primary post and respond to it.

I would be leery of installing hinges on the exterior of the PU. Primary reason is water intrusion.

Our old PU did not have the front storage compartment. Jayco, put it together, so it has to come apart. Can you post a few images?

Couple things you could try;
  • Drill out the holes, and glue in a softwood dowel, once dry, pilot hole drill and reinstall the screws.
  • Sometimes, I will use Gorilla Glue (urethane based, water cured). Put a little on or in the existing screw/hole and install the screw. The urethane Glue reacts with the water, and foams up and fills any voids, so the screw has something to "bit" into. It is very important not to use to much, as it foams up, maybe 10 X.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2022, 03:30 PM   #8

Storage

The problem is getting to the screws underneath even with an extension on my screw gun. I have tried several times with no success…

Thank you for your reply
Ellen K is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mods, storage