Jayco RV Owners Forum
 


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 06-02-2014, 01:06 PM   #1
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Hermitage
Posts: 21
pilot light on water heater won't light

Had the 1007 out last weekend, the pilot light to the water heater would not light. The propane tank was just filled prior to the trip so I know I have LP.

What do I try next?

Need warm showers this coming weekend for a biking event that we dry camp at..... Cold showers were a bit too much to handle.
__________________

flyinglion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 01:36 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: NC
Posts: 973
When you refill you need to light the burners on the stove to get most of the air out of the lines. Then you might still have to make several tries are lighting the hot water heater but at least you are only removing air from a shorter path that all the way back to the tanks.
__________________

__________________
No man has a good enough memory to be a successful liar. Abraham Lincoln

2016 36FBTS Pinnacle
2016 F350, 6.7, 4x4, DRW, long bed
B & W Companion 5th wheel Hitch
eldermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 02:56 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Missouri City, The Republic of Texas
Posts: 3,008
Do you have propane at all in the TT? The check valve in the pigtail may have been tripped if you opened the tank valve quickly. If the stove won't light then I'd bet that's the issue. Elder makes a good suggestion also. I have to "bleed" my gas system if its been off for a while.
3rd possibility is there's a problem at the heater. Can you hear the gas flowing when you try to light it?
__________________
Cheers,
T_

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 04:39 PM   #4
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Hermitage
Posts: 21
we used the stove on the outside connection (which seems to be the furthest LP point away) several times without issue while the water heater would not light. And I do NOT hear any propane flow coming through to the water heater(forgot to mention that.)

We bought this 1007 used, it has (1) 20lb LP tank with the Marshall 290-00 regulator. We tried last year to get the water heater to light twice and didn't have any luck then either, but showers were not an issue then. Someone else told me that a single 20lb tank may not be big enough for the entire line and that is why the heater will not light.....don't think that is accurate unless several others tell me the same, but thought I'd mention it because the previous owner installed the tank.
flyinglion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 08:56 AM   #5
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Austin
Posts: 68
You don't specify what technique you're using to light the heater, but the trick is, there is a heat sensitive safety device inside the burner. I assume yours does not have a built in lighter, but even if it does you can light it manually. The device will not allow propane to flow unless it is hot, i.e. you're holding a lit match under it. This is so that if the flame goes out, propane flow stops.

SO.., consult your owner's manual for specifics, but generally:
1) turn the gas on at the tank and heater
2) light a match
2a) turn the knob to "light" or "pilot"
3) apply match to the little rod above where the gas comes out.. this will cause gas to flow.
4) woosh, you're lit. Switch from "pilot" to "heat"
__________________
1995 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4WD 5 spd
2002 Eagle Summit 12
Matt Chapter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 09:51 AM   #6
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Hermitage
Posts: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Chapter View Post
You don't specify what technique you're using to light the heater, but the trick is, there is a heat sensitive safety device inside the burner. I assume yours does not have a built in lighter, but even if it does you can light it manually. The device will not allow propane to flow unless it is hot, i.e. you're holding a lit match under it. This is so that if the flame goes out, propane flow stops.

SO.., consult your owner's manual for specifics, but generally:
1) turn the gas on at the tank and heater
2) light a match
2a) turn the knob to "light" or "pilot"
3) apply match to the little rod above where the gas comes out.. this will cause gas to flow.
4) woosh, you're lit. Switch from "pilot" to "heat"

yeah, tried all this, these directions are present inside the cover when you open it. What was not said was my directions also include 2a) turn knob to pilot, and hold down RED reset button while lighting pilot. (I assumed that holding down the red reset button allowed the LP to flow freely to light the pilot). 3a) Let pilot burn for 30 seconds before moving knob to ON. If pilot does not remain lit, repeat procedure and let pilot burn longer for 30 seconds. Then set water temperature. (while mentioning water temperature, when I turn the water temp dial below 'warm' and before I get to the icon, I can hear an audible click. It clicks when turning the dial in both directions and I assume this is normal)

Lighting by manual flame, I have no electronic lighter. I tried long stick matches and a gas grill 'trigger' lighter flame several times for both.
But if you are saying that the LP gas will not flow out unless a flame is present(or is hot enough at the tip), then maybe I am not holding my match in place long enough(?) .... but I wasn't aware it was that sophisticated. I was just figuring once you turn the knob to pilot or ON that LP gas would start flowing.....

it's hard for me to tell what's going on as we are the 2nd owners. We bought in JAN 2013 in the dead of winter. Maybe the heater was not winterized properly and there is a lot more wrong.

Maybe I can pop it up again and light the stove inside, then light the stove outside to bleed off any trapped air in the line and then try heater.

My manual states: Water Heater Switch(if so equipped)
The "propane gas" water heater switch enables propane operation of the water heater. The "electric" water heater switch enables electric operation of the water heater.


Where would this switch be located if there is 1 equipped?
flyinglion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 09:59 AM   #7
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: VA
Posts: 394
I installed the exact set up in my old camper. I always used a “trigger” lighter. Don't worry, it is not real sophisticated. I did have a problem once and ended up finding a dead bug in the little slotted metal tube that is under your “hot/warm” dial. Might want to check that to make sure there is nothing obstructing it if you haven’t already.
And one tank should be fine. I had 2 tanks, but I always had one tank shut off.
__________________
2005 Dodge Ram 1500 Quad Cab 5.7 HEMI
2̶0̶1̶4̶ ̶J̶a̶y̶ ̶F̶e̶a̶t̶h̶e̶r̶ ̶X̶1̶9̶H̶
howie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 10:18 AM   #8
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Hermitage
Posts: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by howie View Post
I installed the exact set up in my old camper. I always used a “trigger” lighter. Don't worry, it is not real sophisticated. I did have a problem once and ended up finding a dead bug in the little slotted metal tube that is under your “hot/warm” dial. Might want to check that to make sure there is nothing obstructing it if you haven’t already.
And one tank should be fine. I had 2 tanks, but I always had one tank shut off.
I did pull off the slotted metal tube and ran a wire pipe cleaner through the elbow tube looking for any bugs/dirt/dead mouse(LOL), it was clean, not even a cob web.
flyinglion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 10:19 AM   #9
Senior Member
 
mcfarmall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Kalamazoo, West Michigan
Posts: 1,814
Gas will flow anytime you are pressing down on the red button. The thermocouple "little rod" is the device that provides a millivolt current to the main gas valve which holds the pilot valve open, allowing the pilot to burn after you release the red button. If you cannot get a flame to light while pressing and holding the red button after you are certain there is gas to the water heater then you probably have a clogged pilot orifice/tube or a bad gas valve altogether.

If the pilot will light and stay lit while pressing and holding the red button, but goes out when you release it after 30 seconds then you have a dirty, misaligned or non-functional thermocouple. Try some fine sandpaper on the outside of the thermocouple and make sure the flame is surrounding the tip of the thermocouple.

Check the orifice for an obstruction. You'll have to remove the venturi tube/air shutter assembly in order to have a look at the orifice. Remove the orifice with an appropriate sized socket and make sure it is clear. You can run a small wire or tiny drill bit through the hole, just don't make it larger!

Some gas valves have a pilot adjustment screw that will allow you to get a stronger pilot flame.
__________________
2006 23B Hybrid with 10k round bar WDH
2011 F150 4x4 SCREW Ecoboost, Max Tow, Integrated TBC, 3.73 LS axle, Firestone Ride Rite airbags.
mcfarmall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 10:49 AM   #10
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Hermitage
Posts: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcfarmall View Post
Gas will flow anytime you are pressing down on the red button. The thermocouple "little rod" is the device that provides a millivolt current to the main gas valve which holds the pilot valve open, allowing the pilot to burn after you release the red button. If you cannot get a flame to light while pressing and holding the red button after you are certain there is gas to the water heater then you probably have a clogged pilot orifice/tube or a bad gas valve altogether.
Yes, while holding down the red reset button, I'm not hearing/smelling any LP at all.....so it appears the line has air, or the clogged pilot oriface/bad gas valve as you mentioned.....I'll try to narrow this down tomorrow evening.
Thanks.
To clarify, this millivolt current that holds the pilot valve open, does there have to be a power source for it to be present so it works? (i.e. my 12V battery or the shore line connected) just so I understand how it works.
__________________

flyinglion is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Virginia State Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:29 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2002-2016 Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.