Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-19-2018, 07:34 AM   #1

Portable A/C unit

I have a '93 Eagle 8SD popup with no AC. We will be travelling the southern States next month and I'm wondering if anyone has tried one of those portable AC units in their popup. Im pretty sure the trailer only has 20 amp capacity. I do have a brand new mini bar fridge that I will have plugged in also.
Any advive? Will 20 amps be enough to run both? Or should I unplug the fridge while the AC is running, or just suck it up and just stick with my trusty fan blowing on us? I haven't researched into the amperage of those mini AC units yet, thought I'd ask here if anyone else has tried something like this. Any input or advice will bee appreciated. Cheers
CanuckAndy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 08:04 AM   #2

Buy a 30 to 20 adapter for the pup and run a heavy duty extension cord to the post for the a/c or the fridge.
Old 06-19-2018, 08:36 AM   #3

Yes, I have that adapter and a good cord. The fridge runs just fine. Even the fridge running and the Kuerig coffee maker running at the same time works fine too. But I know that the most power draw from an appliance is when the compressor kicks in. Maybe I've already answered my own questions lol. I was hoping maybe someone else has done it before tho!
Old 06-19-2018, 08:57 AM   #4
Site Team

I have not done this but I have seen many popups that had a hole cut in the side for a small window unit. It could be powered with a heavy extension cord from the power pedestal if so equipped with a 30 and a 20a supply.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 09:01 AM   #5

Ya I have seen this too, but I do not want to cut a hole for a window type unit. I'm too lazy to move it in and out every few days while road tripping. Thats why I'm considering the portable units
Old 06-19-2018, 10:01 AM   #6
Site Team

The ones I have seen are mounted permanently. I have also seen the roll around portable ac's but they have to have a vent hose and also have to be secured when in motion.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 10:15 AM   #7

Ahh ok, you meant mounted on the box, got it! Ya, I'm looking for the smallest unit possible...less than 5,000 btu's for sure.
Old 06-19-2018, 10:26 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanuckAndy View Post
Ahh ok, you meant mounted on the box, got it! Ya, I'm looking for the smallest unit possible...less than 5,000 btu's for sure.
That won't do much if it's humid.
Grumpy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 10:43 AM   #9

Ya, thats one of my main concerns....that it won't do much.
Old 06-19-2018, 02:24 PM   #10

I have one that looks like this in my bedroom. I am almost tempted to see if I could make a vent panel for it that I could just stick in the screen on my door where it would be easily removable. as we would only need it at night when we are sleeping. The sticker on the side says its only 8 amps so I think it could work?
Mbourre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 02:29 PM   #11

Ya we will only need it when sleeping too. Excellent advice, thanks!
Old 06-20-2018, 10:09 AM   #12

I have one for my lanai in Florida. It is a 2 hose model. beware of the drawbacks of the 1 hose model. The one hose model uses air inside to take the heat out. That air has to be made up by air coming in somewhere else. In a house with central AC it works ok because it us using cooled air from the central AC to make up the loss in the room.

A 2 hose model uses outside air to run over the hot coils and is sent back outside. MUCH more efficient than the 1 hose model. A bit more pricey but in the space you have it will prevent sucking in hot humid air through every crack and crevice.

My 2 hose also uses the drainage of the humidity for the air to cool itself and blow it out the exhaust hose. A lot of the one hose models drain that water into a tank. When the tank is full they shut down ( I wold estimate about 3 AM LOL.)
200 Watts solar panels from Renogy

Prev. '14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, gas 3.6 V6
RogerR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 10:15 AM   #13

More great advice that I wouldnt have thought of. Cheers!
Old 06-20-2018, 06:43 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbourre View Post

I have one that looks like this in my bedroom. I am almost tempted to see if I could make a vent panel for it that I could just stick in the screen on my door where it would be easily removable. as we would only need it at night when we are sleeping. The sticker on the side says its only 8 amps so I think it could work?
When we bought our 14SO the previous owner sold it with a portable AC unit similar to this one. He built a flexible hose that goes from the unit to the roof vent which is directly above the unit next to the front bed end. We have never used it while camping because we rarely have an electric site, but it works great in our driveway. The downside is finding a place to store it while in transit.
Are we there yet? is offline   Reply With Quote