Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-20-2010, 05:09 PM   #1

Power Fan vent leaking

I have a brand new 1207 that I bought this summer and it seems to be letting a small amount of water in through the Power Fan vent. I'm starting to think that I'm doing something wrong. I actually had to return the first unit to the dealer for the same situation except it was a really bad leak.. For example I was in it for one rain storm with everything closed and I bet I got 4 cups of water (from the closed vent).. Anyway they exchanged it which was great.. However I just raised my new unit and noticed that the Curtains near the Power vent side were damp... I then went to open the vent and the Black turn knob was filled with water... Am I missing something?.. You just turn these snug to close them right.. Is this a normal thing? Are you supposed to caulk these things when you buy them.. nobody told me to. I'm just a bit surprised to be honest...At any rate I do not want to take it to the dealer..What is the best solution for me to fix this myself.. Is there a sealant tape or just External caulking?.. I'm going to be storing it indoors for the winter, but I would like to get this fixed so I don't have internal water damage like the original unit... Can someone point me in the right direction, without telling me to go to the dealer.. I would much rather do it myself if it's a viable option..Does the dealer install the power vent or does that come from the factory? Is it possible that 2 would be faulty??
Thank you.
Dee5410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 05:30 PM   #2

If it's under warranty, it may be best having dealer make the fix as then it is recorded in the system. At some point down the road if you have residual probs, it will be in the system and it may be easier to have pre-existing out-of-warranty damage easier to deal with. Just a thought
Denise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 05:37 PM   #3

Yes

You are 100% correct, and if this wasn't the second time this has happened I wouldn't hesitate. Is it not something that I can seal up myself? I know I can seal it. I guess I'm just wondering if there is something that is clean and easy to work with..I've seen eternabond does it actually work? I just loathe the idea of even contacting them (the dealer) regarding this. I spent a good portion of July nagging. I'm pretty sure I wasn't customer of the month . They were pretty good considering they replaced the trailer, although you think they would have double checked the roof vent.
Old 09-20-2010, 05:44 PM   #4

LOL I have my dealer on "speed dial".... Ok, maybe not but they definitely know me on a first name basis (I got to know the supervising tech pretty well, and he actually is a member here ). But you want this stuff in the Jayco computer system
Old 09-26-2010, 11:58 AM   #5

Situation

Well I think I have the situation under control. The other day we had significant rainfall and I popped it up just to take a look and it was dry as a bone.. My theory is this. The Tenting may have been bunched up near that vent.. When the roof was lowered it pushed up on the vent housing making it less water tight.. It's the only thing I can think of for the intermittent moisture prob. Now I keep that area nice and flat and it seems to be fine...
Of course this is just a theory, but seems to have resolved the situation.
Old 09-27-2010, 08:42 AM   #6

No one wants to have to worry about their new rv.... it's meant to be used and enjoyed. Glad you have it figured out. Enjoy
Old 09-27-2010, 11:27 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by healthi View Post
No one wants to have to worry about their new rv.... it's meant to be used and enjoyed. Glad you have it figured out. Enjoy
That is why we buy new and pay such exorbitant prices...
93/2020,157/2019219/2018 206/2017,215/2016, 211/2015, 196/14, 247/13, 193/12

Seann45 is offline   Reply With Quote