Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-02-2017, 11:13 AM   #1

Propane lockdown

I have a 2017 Jayco 10Sd. The propane cylinder is secured with two small bolts at the bottom of the cylinder. . Any ideas on how to secure it better? It's also a pain in the neck to unbolt it it when it needs to be filled.
Edmurray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 12:23 PM   #2

There is a lock I use that comes in a kit that allows you to put a locked hitch pin in as well as a coupler to keep the trailer from being towed away. The entire kit was 2about $30 at Walmart. I believe the lock is available by itself that I use for the propane. All three locks are keyed the same. It's made by Reese. I attached pictures of two of the three items that come in that $30 kit. You will find other forum members that may chime in with beefier propane lockdown ideas.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Jerry B.
"Stateboy" (Formerly "36fire412")
SW Lower Michigan
2016 X254
2012 Toyota Tundra Crewmax TRD 4x4
stateboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 05:50 PM   #3

Just took the tank off 12SD, checked the weight and got it topped up. I am going to work on a single thru bolt set up, but it has to dip down to clear the bottom of the tank. It will need to be about 9" so I will have to use threaded rod. I am thinking of welding a large heavy washer on one end sticking out flat so it can be held buy putting a screw driver through it eliminating the need for two wrenches. The other end will still accept the 5/16" nut & washer they currently use.
Jeff in NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 07:58 PM   #4

Thumbs down Poor design

I have the same set up on ours. This set seems to be a poor cheap design. I expected better quality from Jayco.

I have been trying to figure out a better way to secure the tank too. I was thinking of using rods like those that are used on coleman campers. Looking at the set up on the Jayco bolt job it doesn't appear that it has enough angle iron on the sides to use that method. Has anyone seen a better mod?

In addition to the difficulty of removing and the bolts holding the tank on, the tank moves even after it is tighten up. Thinking of putting some wood under the tank to stop it from being so loose.
JaycoBud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 11:04 AM   #5

First thing I did on our old 1007 was to install a dual tank rack. I'd use the second tank for the BBQ and as a spare for the main tank. Easy inexpensive upgrade.

https://smile.amazon.com/Flame-King-...ne+tank+holder
bankr63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 11:18 AM   #6

On my 12UD the one tank & one battery box take up the whole space from side to side. The power winch is directly in front, no way to move anything forward or back. If I want to add a 2nd tank or 2nd battery I will need to fabricate a new box.
Jeff in NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 12:15 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaycoBud View Post
I expected better quality from Jayco.
All RV accessories are the cheapest quality/price a manufacturer can get their hands on. No surprise to me at all.
Old 09-07-2017, 01:55 PM   #8

My 2008 Starcraft 14RT has a propane tray for two tanks with a threaded rod down the middle. Then the twist nut will tighten the bar down on top of the two tanks for a tight fit.

I then drilled a hole through the twist wing nut and added along neck lock to keep someone from twisting the wing nut off to take my tanks...

google images

Maybe this will spark up a good idea for your install with a lock.
Roy Ken
RETIRED DOD DOAF DON CONTRACTOR Electronics Tech 42YRS

"We're burning daylight" - John Wayne
2008 STARCRAFT 14RT OFF-ROAD POPUP with PD9260C and three 85AH 12VDC batteries
2010 F150 FX4 5.4 GAS with 3.73 gears - Super Cab - Towing Package - 2KW Honda EU2000i Gen
K9PHT (since 1957) 146.52Mhz
"We always have a PLAN B"
RoyBraddy is offline   Reply With Quote