Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-15-2017, 03:57 PM   #1

Propane tanks different?

Well my camper came with one tank but I wanted to add a second due to having A/C and not camping with hookups. The original tank has a different connector than the one I just got, are ones for grills different?
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1211.jpg   IMG_1212.jpg  
Cwoods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2017, 04:01 PM   #2

The top picture is an old style valve. I don't believe you can get those refilled any more. You probably can get the valve replaced and the tank inspected to make it legal again. It might be easier to purchase a new tank. You probably will need a new regulator or at least replace the hose and connector from the regulator to accommodate the new style valve.
I don't understand what this has to do with the A/C. You need power (either a generator or shore power) to run the A/C.
Old 04-15-2017, 04:10 PM   #3
Site Team

The bottom one is called the ACME nut. Designed to be tightened and loosed by hand. It is the standard now but in our area the old ones can also be filled and used as long as the tank is in date. You have to have the proper hose connector. I would want them to be the same.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2017, 04:40 PM   #4

The new tank has an OPD (Overfill Prevention Device) valve.

As of April 1, 2002, legally propane tanks between 5 and 40 pound fs must be retrofitted to the new OPD valve.
Legally the old style valves must be removed from service, and are not legally filled.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2017, 07:07 PM   #5

You could also just go to any propane tank exchange location like Lowe's or many gas stations and trade out the tank which will be fitted with the new valve. That's going to be just under $20 full compared to maybe $40 or $50 for a new tank that comes empty. If I recall correctly, the new valve also accommodates the pre-2002 hardware that you'll still have on your camper after getting rid of the old tank. If not, you'll have to replace the fitting on your camper to accommodate the new propane tank. Then you'll be up to date.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Jerry B.
"Stateboy" (Formerly "36fire412")
SW Lower Michigan
2016 X254
2012 Toyota Tundra Crewmax TRD 4x4
stateboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2017, 07:41 PM   #6

Not always righty, tighty

If you haven't figured it out and can't get the older connection undone; they are left hand threads. You need to turn the part that goes into the valve clockwise to loosen. This is backwards to just about every other bolt/nut.
2008 Pilgrim 328 BHSS(sold)
1995 Jayco 264 BH(sold)
2012 Ram CC Cummins 4x4 SRW w/4.10 gears using Andersen Ultimate hitch
Rmgrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2017, 08:25 PM   #7

You don't have to replace the regulator or the part that connects to the tank. If you look at the inside of that new tank with ODP you will see it is threaded. The new style threads to the outside but they still have the old threads on the inside of the new tanks.

As for what to do. Well we were still getting our old tanks refilled last summer. I couldn't do a swap because they were the larger 30# tanks.
Old 04-15-2017, 08:33 PM   #8

Also (at least in Michigan) an 'expired' tank is at 12 years or older. That means tanks are date stamped. That date refers to the last time they were tested to hold pressure (whether when manufactured or when retested to put back in service for another 12 years). You may see old dates stamped over with XXXXXX to obliterate them to make the new date clearly identified. Those dates are usually found on the round handle welded to the top of the tank and not the tank itself.

Once it's officially tested, it's stamped with that test date and gas facilities are then allowed to legally fill the tank for up to 12 years from that date. If you don't see prior crossed out dates on the tank then that tank is less than 12 years old.

Putting all this jibberish aside, I just do a tank exchange (usually more costly than a refill) and never have to worry about the date. Those exchange facilities take old (expired) tanks and pre-2002 valve tanks at no extra charge.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Jerry B.
"Stateboy" (Formerly "36fire412")
SW Lower Michigan
2016 X254
2012 Toyota Tundra Crewmax TRD 4x4
stateboy is offline   Reply With Quote