Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-19-2014, 08:55 AM   #1

Pup owners - TV Antenna?

So, while I do go camping to "get away from it all", I have sometimes wanted to have a tv to watch news, weather, and maybe entertain the kids when the weather stinks. I have a small digital TV I'm not using for anything, but am not quite sure what to do about an antenna.

Anyone have a TV antenna rigged up for their popup? Are you mounting permanently to the roof, or rigging up some kind of temporary mast? Any insight appreciated.
Old 08-19-2014, 11:08 AM   #2

we don't have a pop up anymore but what I did was I got one of those that sat on top of your television but put it outside on top of the box you plug your rv into plugged it in and ran cable through the tent end to the tv it worked ok would get 2-3 channels but that was also before digital signals
Tommyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 10:25 AM   #3

I installed a rotatable antenna pole just outside the window flap on my 14RT... I can reach thru the window flap and rotate it.

This photo shows the LOWES Big yagies on it which worked great but I finally totally destroyed taking it down all the time. It also would run into close by trees being so large when I rotated it. I now have the BATWING wing antenna up which works just great using our 22-inch VIZIO HDTV setup... We get great service on the road picking up the NATL BROADCAST HDTV signals coming from the local towns - ALL are full blown digital high def TV signals - much better quality then coming from camp grounds that are still using the analog TV signals on their cable distribution.

This breaks down and stores great inside my POPUP when in travel mode - only take a few minutes to setup...

Roy Ken
RETIRED DOD DOAF DON CONTRACTOR Electronics Tech 42YRS

"We're burning daylight" - John Wayne
2008 STARCRAFT 14RT OFF-ROAD POPUP with PD9260C and three 85AH 12VDC batteries
2010 F150 FX4 5.4 GAS with 3.73 gears - Super Cab - Towing Package - 2KW Honda EU2000i Gen
K9PHT (since 1957) 146.52Mhz
"We always have a PLAN B"
RoyBraddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 09:08 PM   #4

Thanks Roy - can you go into any detail at all as to what you are using there? I have no clue where to begin based on those photos, but would love some advice.
Old 08-21-2014, 08:43 AM   #5

I used a couple of pieces of 5-foot antenna metal mast lenghts - The PVC is two different sizes where I can rotate the inside one. The top outside PVC one is attached to the side of the trailer using the thumb screws. Reaching thru the window flap I can turn the inside metal mast sections.

The bottom metal pole with a piece of round PVC for a stop just sits down inside a TV antenna mount attached to the frame...

The top bracket is from a HIDE-AWAY Antenna mount and this just holds the outside PVC tubes stationary. Inside tube is what rotates... You may have to fabric the side mount bracket. It came with my WINEGARD HA-0130 HIDE-AWAY rotating DIPOLE worthless antenna... Maybe you can connect them and purchase the bracket only.

The two metal pipes are smaller and fits inside the stationary PVC larger pipe. The whole length of the smaller metal pipes that the BATWING antenna is attached too does the rotating...

The RG 6 cable goes in at the top of the metal tubes and comes out on the bottom to go inside the trailer to hookup to the HDTV. I use one of the in-line 12VDC power source to provide 12VDC to the BATWING antenna amplifier.

I know its all clear as mud right... Just go to LOWES and look at the 5-foot antenna mast sections and PVC tube components. You will come up with something...

It all breaks down to 5-foot lengths and rides inside the POPUP when in transport.

Roy Ken
RETIRED DOD DOAF DON CONTRACTOR Electronics Tech 42YRS

"We're burning daylight" - John Wayne
2008 STARCRAFT 14RT OFF-ROAD POPUP with PD9260C and three 85AH 12VDC batteries
2010 F150 FX4 5.4 GAS with 3.73 gears - Super Cab - Towing Package - 2KW Honda EU2000i Gen
K9PHT (since 1957) 146.52Mhz
"We always have a PLAN B"
RoyBraddy is offline   Reply With Quote