Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-29-2015, 10:40 AM   #1

Quick Pack up methods

We just went on our first trip in our 2009 jayco 1207 and we had a great time. We noticed that packing up can be a bit troublesome so I was thinking about fast pack up techniques. Specially i was thinking about buying big plastic bins for each type of item (Food, clothes, etc) which would sit in the middle isle.

How do you folks get packed up fast?
mkultra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 11:18 AM   #2

"Fast" and "Pop-Up" generally do not go together. When I had my pop-up it was a long, patience-trying experience to try different ways to pack things. I do know that each pop-up will have different layouts and considerations to be made. Trial and error is the only way. You will eventually figure out what works and does not work in your case.

EDUCATION is what you get when you read the fine print.....
EXPERIENCE is what you get when you don't.
tnchuck100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 11:25 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnchuck100 View Post
"Fast" and "Pop-Up" generally do not go together.
Even hard-sided campers.

Our packing-up process starts the evening before we leave. Anything not needed next morning gets packed. It's still over an hour from 'breaking camp' to 'rolling out'.

Sitting in The Cheap Seats.
And proud of it!
mike837go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 11:27 AM   #4

I use sterilite bins that fit perfectly in the aisles... one holds a weber smokey joe grill, bag of charcoal, lighter fluid, fire starter bricks, and newspaper. That one comes out of the camper, and sits under the rear bunk end until I am done camping. I use two more bins for food, dishes and whatever else I bring each time. Those bins sit on the counter above the water heater when popped up, and in the aisle when towing. Bedding goes in the storage compartments under the side dinette. Pillows tend to go under the U-dinette.

To save time the morning we leave, most everything is packed the night before except what we need for breakfast... and breakfast that day is kept fairly light to avoid excessive dish washing and additional packing.
Old 07-29-2015, 12:12 PM   #5

Each traveler has a 'laundry basket' (6 for $33) in which to stow their stuff - depending on how long the trip, you may want to place them in each bedroom in advance. We have 2 more for food, one for pre-cooled fridge/freezer goods (to unpack into the rig's fridge/freezer) and one for all other eats. Once camping and when emptied, they easily nest-and-store under the TT and they can be hosed-down when grubby or dirty. Check-lists help but if somebody forgot something? Either pick it up locally or "tough" and remember next time! BTW, this is the same process we used with the tent-trailer ... and even when making a trip with multiple stops along the way. As noted above, tubs fit will in aisles and keep things from sliding and damaging the rig.

Apply a version of the rule "if you don't wear it/use it - then don't keep it/bring it/waste space". Everything else has a place in the TT so when packing to go - it's just a matter of minutes to load the "for this trip" stuff ... it takes less time for me than DH's time filling the water tank and hooking-up the (pre-fueled) TV to the TT!

Genealogy Community Social Group Moderator
Hattie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 12:36 PM   #6

I like to leave as much in the trailer as I possibly can to minimize loading/unloading. So when we are getting ready, we have most things covered except our clothes and food. I even leave a complete set of clothes in the trailer, from socks and shoes all the way to a hat, rain gear and a sweatshirt. Technically, I could be ready for a weekend outing in the time it takes to hook up the trailer; we'd just buy the food at our destination.

Of course, it was easier before the baby came; it only took about 1/2 hour for me and DW to load up and be ready to go for a weekend outing. Now if we did it all at once, it would take at least an hour, maybe even 2 ...

I like the plastic bin idea, and I like the laundry basket idea even better. Especially if you have space issues like in a PUP. If you pack the bins just right, you can only throw the ones you need in. With my way, I'm hauling a full compliment whether I need it or not. Try out a few different options, take notes, and then tweak it to work for you.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 05:20 AM   #7

We also use bins, one for food and the other for essentials that support the popup itself, we also utilize a Sterilite 3-drawer unit that stores kitchen utensils along with other kitchen-type items. We store necessities in the three storage areas in the popup, we've really streamlined those necessities too, we try not to store anything in the camper that isn't regularly used. One the day of our departure, we place our clothes and the food bin in the camper, we place the cooler/10x10 canopy/camp chairs/table/etc. in the TV.
2015 Jay Series 1007 UD (sold)

"Life is so very short, eat the dessert first".
eng45ine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 05:35 AM   #8

[QUOTE=Camper_bob;326556]I like to leave as much in the trailer as I possibly can to minimize loading/unloading. I even leave a complete set of clothes in the trailer, from socks and shoes all the way to a hat, rain gear and a sweatshirt. Technically, I could be ready for a weekend outing in the time it takes to hook up the trailer; we'd just buy the food at our destination.

X2
Old 07-30-2015, 06:51 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkultra View Post
How do you folks get packed up fast?
Packing up fast isn't an option for us.

We just went from a Heritage pop-up to a Jay Feather Hybrid.

I would say we still spend about the same amount of time breaking camp as we did in the past. But the ease of breaking camp has been much less of a hassle then it was with the pop-up. We still use bins to store items in. And we still have bunk ends to fold up plus an awning to roll up.
Rather that storing items in the cabinets and draws in the Hybird the use of bins is mainly for the items we need to set up. We also will keep any bins we use outside under the back bunk end.
bedrck46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 07:04 AM   #10

I can be ready to hit the road in under an hour...and most of that is hooking up the Pup, doing my walk around inspection and loading supplies in the back of the TV. Chairs, generators (boondocking only), cooler, small barrel grill, and fishing gear go in the TV...everything else (2 sleeping bags, rain gear, eating /cooking utensils, coffee maker and dry goods) is stored already in the Pup in self sealing plastic storage bins. I buy my food products the night before and chill everything needed over night, that goes in the cooler and I hit the "ice machine" on the way out. I wait to buy fuel for generator and fill my water reservoir when I get to my destination or the first night on the road. Clothes for the trip only, go in a knapsack and tossed in the backseat of the TV........the key with the Pup is keeping a minimalist mindset. Having a set of dedicated items strictly for the camper and ready to go is a huge time saver.

Jayco Jay Series 1206
Dodge Ram 1500, Hemi
Lifespalette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 07:23 PM   #11

Our 24' HTT took an hour or maybe a little less to get on the road. The newer 5th seems to take about the same amount of time. Maybe this is one of the rare cases where size doesn't matter.
I've found that when I try to hurry to get out of the CG that's when I overlook things.

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 08:07 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedHorse1 View Post
I've found that when I try to hurry to get out of the CG that's when I overlook things.
+1

Slow down and take a deep breath. If you hurry, you'll miss something eventually, and one day it'll be something major. Move with a purpose, and with efficiency, but don't rush.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 09:34 PM   #13

I don't feel that breaking camp is a lot of work or that it's a slow process. It's really just a matter of finding what works for you and getting into a groove on go home day. We camp with 2 young boys so they have their jobs to do and the wife has her jobs. She is usually cleaning stuff up inside while me and the boys are breaking things down outside. Usually when she is done inside I am ready to lower down the roof. We try to keep things in their places throughout the whole weekend so there is only minimal stuff to put away on go home day.
railrunner74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 07:00 AM   #14

Nite before, organize the outside stuff and clean the grill etc. Last morning, organize the kitchen and inside personal stuff after breakfast. Send the kids off on an adventure and began packing and storing the "stuff". When time to enter the "ready to launch" phase, disconnect the hose, electric, and stow the awning. We use a roof top hard shell [in the pickup bed] for larger items and stuff that needs to stay dry and away from prying eyes when you stop for fuel and food.

Biggest tip is to develop a plan and repeat it each trip. I have my stuff and wife has her's. Stay out of each others way and don't intrupt. Last step is to hitch up and remove chocks. Pull off the site and do a final check of the site and the RV. You'll be glad you did when you find something you had stuffed under the TT or the window or storage hatch that didn't get secured.
Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 08:33 AM   #15

x2,3,4 etc. We all have our ways. Work out a system that works best for you and you're on your way. Camping is intended to be stress free so just don't worry about it. Have fun, enjoy and...
Happy RVing,
Jeff
Best friend wife, Di, and dog Cooper. RETIRED
havnfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 12:49 PM   #16

We have items just for camper (Sheets, pots, pans, etc..) we try to keep everything needed in camper at all times. Pretty much we pack a duffle bag with clothes, bring fire wood, Pack the camper only cooler with food and fridge. We don't really pack much because it is already in camper. we wash sheets, blankets and linens when we arrive home then put them in a vacuum space saver bag and put back in camper. The vacuum space saver bags are great for the camper We also buy camper things off season (the space saver pots and pans that nest together, the 3 in one utensils etc..) They make so many things for camping that take up little to no room. (we have actually bought some of these items for the house kitchen. Shop at camping world type store but buy at Walmart or amazon for cheap. Keep it simple. Yes these items cost a little money but time is money and camp in the driveway a few times and use the $$ saved to buy camper goodies Most of all when you have everything in camper...you don't for get it at home!!
CentralNH is offline   Reply With Quote