Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-06-2018, 12:10 PM   #1

Removable door problem

Jay Sport 10SD 2018.

We have a problem where the removable door, once in place, does not lock correctly (when locked, one can easily open the door). The problem is because the door frame is not close enough to the door. I can fix this temporarily by inserting a shim between the trailer box frame and the door frame, which makes the door frame go closer to the door, and the door stays locked.

It seems that the hole in the frame, where the door is installed, is too wide. I tried straightening the stabilizing jacks, which did not work, but I am afraid that they could break if I force them too much.

I am bringing it to the dealership in an attempt to correct this problem, but they have a bad reputation at service.

I would like to have an advice before I bring it to them.
michelprevost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 02:34 PM   #2

security

I had a problem where the door wasn't seating correctly. the fix for me was to push the roof outward so that I could get the bottom latched in.

Also something to keep in mind... if someone really wants in, all they have to do is pull back the velcro from the door frame and stick their hand in and open door from inside. My 8 year old figured that trick out.
technicalspectical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 02:41 PM   #3

The door is seating correctly. I tried sliding the door to the left, the right, still not closing/locking properly.

I will try the velcro trick (and thanks for telling me that your 8-year-old is smarter than me )
Old 06-06-2018, 02:50 PM   #4

haha. yeah my wife was all concerned about leaving her purse in the camper and wanted me to lock the door and I didn't have my keys on me. My son walked up and pulled the velcro back and said "look we can lock it like this!" Needless to say we both were kinda taken back by that.
Old 06-07-2018, 10:44 AM   #5

That's okay. Most criminals are stupid; after all they chose a life of crime. They'll never figure it out...

We figured out the same trick first year we owned the pup, but have always locked it anyway when leaving the site for a while based on my statement above. Always keep your valuables locked in your vehicle.
bankr63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 01:23 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelprevost View Post
Jay Sport 10SD 2018.

...It seems that the hole in the frame, where the door is installed, is too wide. I tried straightening the stabilizing jacks, which did not work, but I am afraid that they could break if I force them too much.

I am bringing it to the dealership in an attempt to correct this problem, but they have a bad reputation at service.

I would like to have an advice before I bring it to them.
This may seem petty but I'm glad to know other people have trouble with the way the door fits. I was beginning to think it was me and my ineptitude and maybe someone got a smaller door to replace a damaged one. Glad it's a fixable one. Please let me, if no one else, know if and how the dealership fixes yours. I don't have a dealer closer than 4 hrs from here.
the Beast, that's my Jayco Select 12HW...
Little Monster, my Little Guy T@B
Roux 'b Doux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 01:30 PM   #7

Roux B'Doux, I will keep you informed. I will post an update, but it will be in 2 weeks from now, the dealer is very busy with service.
Old 06-07-2018, 02:56 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelprevost View Post
Roux B'Doux, I will keep you informed. I will post an update, but it will be in 2 weeks from now, the dealer is very busy with service.
That's not a problem, whether I still own the Beast or not, it will be good information for any further popup that may have this problem. Thanks
the Beast, that's my Jayco Select 12HW...
Little Monster, my Little Guy T@B
Roux 'b Doux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 08:50 PM   #9

can you post a pic so I can see what you are talking about? I'm gonna pop mine up this weekend to see if I have the same issue you are having and maybe I never noticed it.
Old 06-07-2018, 08:55 PM   #10

A quick point here. The door and its frame are a single unit and should fit tightly. How the whole unit fits into the side of the camper has a bit of "slop" by design. If you actually measure the opening, you will find that it has a bit of a "V" shape; wider at the top than at the bottom. This is by design as there has to be a bit of slack to allow for flex on uneven terrain. If it wasn't there the door would bind in many conditions unless the pup was perfectly leveled.

What you describe is a misfit between the door and frame. Does it fit poorly when there is no tension on the door (before it is dropped into place and clipped)? If yes, this should be something that is corrected. If the door works correctly before installation, but not after, then it is probably a problem with how the door is being installed and secured.
bankr63 is offline   Reply With Quote